Page 56 of 116 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106 ... LastLast

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

It's a great book, I think you'd enjoy reading it. It is Don Felder's life story and so of course it's going to be based on his experience of his Eagles career but it's still great and gives insight into some things. Try not to read into to much of the negative stuff until you read it - it's definitely a book I've read several times and likely will again. Don was a huge part of that Eagles rock sound, a big contributor to the band, a guitar surgeon, and his story is one worth hearing and listening to. I will keep the other things to talk about that are in the book until after you read it.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by ThePerfectBeast View Post
    I have held off reading this book as I got the impression it would be over-sensationalised or exaggerated.I've read "To the Limit" (admittidley some time ago) and thought some of the stuff had to be taken with a pinch of salt.

One question , is it worth a read? Is it a relatively fair account of things as much as anyone can tell?
    In my view the book is indeed over-sensationalised and written in hyped up tabloid style, grossly unfair & hostile to Glenn Frey & to a lesser extent Don Henley, and extremely self-centred and self-pitying. The objections people like myself have to it is that Felder takes no responsibility at all for his actions and paints himself as a victim throughout. Also, there is very little new information in it about the Eagles; there is some detail about Felder's personal life.

You wanted an opinion; I'm afraid that is mine. I know that some object to this & think it is overly harsh. I also know that my view is shared by some others here. Unlike Austin I can't not mention the negativity of it but I obviously agree that you must make up your own mind.

ThePerfectBeast,

Based on this and other threads, I think it's safe to say that if you're primarily a Frey and/or Henley fan (ThePerfectBeast, huh?), you may not like the book because of what Felder has to say (or doesn't say, or how he says it, etc.). If, however, you are more of a general Eagles fan or primarily interested in one or more of the other members, you may well find it a worthwhile read.

I certainly enjoyed reading it. But then again, I'm a big-time Walsh and Felder fan, so that's to be expected...

Out on the Border ThePerfectBeast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    In my view the book is indeed over-sensationalised and written in hyped up tabloid style, grossly unfair & hostile to Glenn Frey & to a lesser extent Don Henley, and extremely self-centred and self-pitying. The objections people like myself have to it is that Felder takes no responsibility at all for his actions and paints himself as a victim throughout. Also, there is very little new information in it about the Eagles; there is some detail about Felder's personal life.

You wanted an opinion; I'm afraid that is mine. I know that some object to this & think it is overly harsh. I also know that my view is shared by some others here. Unlike Austin I can't not mention the negativity of it but I obviously agree that you must make up your own mind.
    Thanks for the reply , no need to apologise for having an opinion - I can take it
    "The great unconscious urban masses , with narrow minds and spreading asses..."

Out on the Border ThePerfectBeast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    ThePerfectBeast,

Based on this and other threads, I think it's safe to say that if you're primarily a Frey and/or Henley fan (ThePerfectBeast, huh?), you may not like the book because of what Felder has to say (or doesn't say, or how he says it, etc.). If, however, you are more of a general Eagles fan or primarily interested in one or more of the other members, you may well find it a worthwhile read.

I certainly enjoyed reading it. But then again, I'm a big-time Walsh and Felder fan, so that's to be expected...
    I would say Don Henley does intrigue more than the others and I love him as a wordsmith.That said I'm not going to go on a crazy defence of him just because Don Felder may say some uncomplementary things.I think I'll give the book a go , take it all with a pinch of salt and try to read between the lines.Hopefully I'll come out with a gleen of new info , put it with the stuff other Eagles have said and try to balance it all out
    "The great unconscious urban masses , with narrow minds and spreading asses..."

I like your attitude about reading Felder's book TPB...that's kind of how I felt when I read it...take it with a grain of salt...

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

I did not think it was written in a hyped up tabloid style, grossly unfair & hostile to Glenn, & a lesser extent Don Henley...Self-centered???? It's a BIO, isn't that what it's supposed to be????? I also don't think he plays a blameless victim here...He took a lot of the blame for things that went wrong in various parts of his life...Everyone makes mistakes.... It's how you look back on it, that reflection on it that can bring some peace of mind. He knows he made mistakes, just like they all did.

My advice would be to read for yourself & form your own opinion...You will learn about Felder's childhood & early days & how he learned to play guitar. It was all interesting to me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

In reading the two completely different interpretations of the same book, it really makes me wonder how we would all see biographies from any of the other Eagles. I can only imagine. I hope someday we get to find out.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    In reading the two completely different interpretations of the same book, it really makes me wonder how we would all see biographies from any of the other Eagles. I can only imagine. I hope someday we get to find out.
    Didn't someone say that Glenn is planning to write one?
    I always seem to bring up negative things about Don's book, but I appreciate a lot of things in it; especially the bits where he talks about songs and albums.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Didn't someone say that Glenn is planning to a book write one?
    I always seem to bring up negative things about Don's book, but I appreciate a lot of things in it; especially the bits where he talks about songs and albums.
    Yes. He said that he had done an outline for a book that he was planning to write about his time in the Eagles and used it as the basis of the HotE documentary. On his Tavis Smiley interview he stated that he still plans to write the book when he has time.