Page 58 of 116 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

I like that line...no need to be angry.....

I stopped reading this thread a long time ago becasuse "some people" found it to be a place to "stick up for DF".

I had my opinion of the man before I read the book and after I read the book andit didnt change much!!! It actually got lower.
    I always felt that JMO he was impressed with himself and lacked humility.' I still feel this way.
    I liked the line in the docurmentary where GF stated he would give tapes of guitar licks and GF would think ...ok where do we sing on any of this .(sorry if I misquoted but you get the drift)
    He screwed around on his wife and couldnt understand why she made a life for herself in his absence ??dudh

We have a quote up on the bulliten board at work that says basically "Its amazing what you can accompplish when no one cares who gets the credit".

the above is JMO
    Last edited by Tiffanny Twisted; 05-25-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typo

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanny Twisted View Post

I stopped reading this thread a long time ago becasuse "some people" found it to be a place to "stick up for DF".
    Or you could also look at it as "some people" found it to be a place to "bash DF". All depends on your perspective, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanny Twisted
    He screwed around on his wife and couldnt understand why she made a life for herself in his absence ??dudh
    I understand and I hate to say it, but I doubt he's the only one in the Eagles that did that. Just saying, I doubt any of these guys are pure and innocent when it came to fidelity. It was a rock n roll world, baby and that thing happened. I don't think he was in any way innocent but I sure am not going to bash him for something others in the profession do over and over also. He just happen to put it on paper. JMO.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I know this is a long thread and a bit of a dauntingly time-consuming read, but to those who want to know what people's reactions are to the book, it's worth reading the thread its entirely. Over the years since the book's release in 2007, many people have gone into a great deal of detail about their opinions and honestly in my own case I don't want to type it all out again, lol.
    Me either. Water under the bridge for me.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Or you could also look at it as "some people" found it to be a place to "bash DF". All depends on your perspective, I suppose.

I understand and I hate to say it, but I doubt he's the only one in the Eagles that did that. Just saying, I doubt any of these guys are pure and innocent when it came to fidelity. It was a rock n roll world, baby and that thing happened. I don't think he was in any way innocent but I sure am not going to bash him for something others in the profession do over and over also. He just happen to put it on paper. JMO.
    I agree.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47 View Post
    There's always a few that take everything someone else says the wrong way, it's a sure thing in here anymore. That's the main reason several of us have literally stopped posting. Too much hassle over minor stuff.
    And yet I can always look forward to you dropping in to complain and criticize every now and then, always about the same stuff. That's the kind of thing that makes me tired.

Pet peeve of mine as an English teacher (this is not just directed at you; lots of people do it nowadays): misuse of the world "literally." That's just me being anal, though!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Tiffanny Twisted,

Well, I think it's save you say you and I are on different wavelengths...

I liked the line in the docurmentary where GF stated he would give tapes of guitar licks and GF would think ...ok where do we sing on any of this .(sorry if I misquoted but you get the drift)
    To me, this line felt like Glenn was going out of his way to insult Felder. I mean, one band member is proactively recording and mixing demos of potential song ideas and sending them to the rest of the band for their review. This particular demo contains a nearly complete (musically) Hotel California and also Victim of Love (some version), IIRC. Yet, Frey feels compelled to make a statement along the lines of (paraphrasing): 95% of Felder's stuff was [fill in a word your comfortable with here].

I wonder how many demo tapes Joe and Randy were creating? How many demo tapes did Frey and Henley send around to the other band members? I don't really know the answer to those questions, but I can guess. Yet, many label Glenn the "team player" and Felder the "self aggrandizing [pick another word your comfortable with]."

Another thing that bothers me about that line is that there are numerous stories of people turning guitar parts into complete and successful songs. Usually, the stories go something like:

[Person 1 plays guitar]

Person 2: What's that?

Person 1: What's what?

Person 2: What you just played...

Person 1: I don't know. Just something I was playing around with.

In fact, "Life in the Fast Lane" is one of these stories, as is "Suicide Solution" (Ozzy Osbourne and Randy Rhoads, please forgive my musical eclecticism). So, to me, the assertion that a musical idea has no value simply because there is no existing, identifiable place to sing, is creatively lazy, at best.

We have a quote up on the bulliten board at work that says basically "Its amazing what you can accompplish when no one cares who gets the credit".
    There are bands to whom this quote applies. Bands that come to mind are The Doors and Van Halen for much of its existence. These bands credited the whole band on all songs, regardless of who actually wrote a given song - for the good of the band, IMO. But, if these bands are at one end of the credit spectrum, I would have to say The Eagles are at the other end. You're not likely to find any after-the-fact, behind-your-back, credit rearrangements in the share-the-credit bands. Unfortunately, we have to take the good with the bad...
    Last edited by Turf; 05-25-2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Fixed a grammar mistake...

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    To me, this line felt like Glenn was going out of his way to insult Felder. I mean, one band member is proactively recording and mixing demos of potential song ideas and sending them to the rest of the band for their review. This particular demo contains a nearly complete (musically) Hotel California and also Victim of Love (some version), IIRC. Yet, Frey feels compelled to make a statement along the lines of (paraphrasing): 95% of Felder's stuff was [fill in a word your comfortable with here].
    Glenn said the same line at the songwriter's event in 2011. Maybe it was because I'd just read H&H, it seemed to me to be a direct response to several things Felder said in his book about how they struggled to come up with songs, yet he turned all these in and only two were used, and things along those lines. Glenn was explaining why they only used two of them. It's one of those things that can be looked at both ways, some see Felder's comments in the book as yet another opportunity he took to say how 'the gods' didn't take him seriously or give him a chance. Others see Glenn's explanation as an insult. It depends on which end of the spectrum you're sitting on.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    TK, because you basically agree with Don Felder about Glenn you would not have noticed the endless hostility & outright dismissal of the man's talents throughout the book, which extended to such gems as claiming Glenn was bipolar & should have had therapy. He tries grudgingly to praise Henley's talents but most of the time Henley gets lumped in with Frey as 'the Gods'; the evil duo who ruined Felder's life. So for you just to say to me you didn't think it was what I said; OK. That is hardly going to make me change my opinion. We were asked for opinions & I gave mine. My view of the book is negative; yes. I believe that in this case negative opinions should be considered just as much as positive ones.

Also, TK, I am saying nothing here that I have not already said many times, so I am not sure why you are now so outraged by what I said.
    To be precise, I think the "bipolar" comment was from interviews around the time of the publication of the book. In the book itself, I think Felder said something along the lines of: Frey could have used some therapy and maybe some Prozac. As far as rockstars go, I found it a bit tame.

At any rate, I think it's safe to say that neither you nor anybody else on this board is going to be writing a You-Might-Be-A-Don-Felder-Hater post any time soon. In fact, the overall level of animosity toward Felder is the single most surprising characteristic about this forum. I mean, do we really presume to know these people so intimately and so well that we are in a position to judge his judgements to such a degree?

It makes me a bit sad, really...

IMHO there are only a few extremists who fall into my definition of "hater," hence my post trying to define that. I like to be specific and not speak in vague generalities.

I'll be real. I think there are probably a few people who could be characterized as Felder-haters according to how I have defined the term in the doc thread, but they're hardly the majority.

Still, considering how ugly his break with the Eagles was and the controversial topics in his book, is it really that surprising?

When it comes to Felder's book, I looked for proofs and specifics to back up his assertions and judgments. You can see for yourself the conclusions I came to, and if you do not believe they are fair, that's your right. However, at least I always back up my views, and don't just make it some emotional issue.

One of the things I find infinitely frustrating is when I take the time to present evidence of something - some of my posts in this thread are quite detailed - and the response is nothing but variations of "You just don't like Felder!" How about a MEANINGFUL response addressing my points? SIGH. It was a harsh wake-up call once I realized that there were people not even reading my posts before making their knee-jerk responses! Ouch!

I find it amusing that I know more about Don Felder than 99% of this board - only a handful of people even have both his solo albums - and still I get the knee-jerk responses. Ah well, that's the internet for ya.

Indeed, conflict is the way of the internet. I've been posting on boards since the 90s and I've been running fan boards since 2000, so I've seen all these melodramas and cliques play out many times over a variety of subjects on every board I've been a member of.

The first message board argument I ever participated in was whether or not Sonny should be with Carly on AOL's General Hospital forum (1997). People got VERY passionate about it, just as passionate as people are getting here, and Sonny and Carly aren't even real!

Such conflicts are the norm. I'm sure there are exceptions, but not too many, so I expect it.

Still, I try to keep as many people as possible happy. I just recognize that there will always be people who are going to be pissed off about one thing or another.

There have been many times when people haven't been too happy about decisions I've made on both ends of the spectrum. Those veteran members who hearken back to years gone by when there was very little conflict should also remember that there were a lot fewer people then, and certainly we were all a lot more like-minded. We hardly ever discussed serious stuff. Growth is good but it means change and you can't go back. My hope is that we adapt.

In that spirit, to anyone who finds themselves getting upset: It's so not worth it. Go find something to smile about. Life is too short to spend so much of it complaining. Be glad you can escape the drama and don't have to constantly deal with it as part of running the board!

To keep on topic: I stand behind what I wrote about Felder's book and I hope people take the time to read such posts before making generalizations that may or may not accurately reflect the majority of this thread.

Speaking of keeping on topic, let's try to keep reactions to the documentary in that thread. People who have been around this forum a long time know how I like to keep topics well-organized. This thread is about Felder's book.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I read the book about six weeks ago, and came in with no preconceived notions about who was the "bad" guy. I really enjoyed it, especially the early years where he was sooooo poor, and how sweet his relationship with Susan was for so long. I was so happy for him when he joined the Eagles. I will say the only sentence in the book that shocked me, SHOCKED ME, was when he said he had not spoken to Joe Walsh once since he was fired...I did not see that coming. He also said that Timothy sounded "annoyed" when he took Felder's call and said,"What's up, Fingers?" Timothy...annoyed??!! When as far as Felder knew, these two were his friends? It really made me think that these two, in their own minds, were either forced to "pick sides" to stay on Glenn and Don's good side, or they were both really pissed at Felder, pissed enough that they would never speak to him again! I mean, I can see not being all buddy-buddy with him after he was fired, but Joe never speaking to him again? The other explanation is that Felder was completely delusional and didn't realize that Joe and Timothy had wanted him gone for a long time and were thankful they never had to talk to him again. Pretty sad whatever the reason.

OK, now I will go back and read this thread in its entirety, Soda. I didn't want to be influenced by the opinions in here before I gave my mini-review! I'm guessing the description of Joe's/Tim's reaction to his firing is addressed in here! I will settle in with some tea after the babies are asleep!