Page 65 of 116 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115 ... LastLast

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Certainly, in recent years, Felder has played a multitude of benefits for charities. However, he has not shunned the political arena. As recently as last year, he played at a fundraiser for the Republican Party. Of course, the Felder of today is a very different man than he was in 1980, I'm sure.
    Ha, no wonder he didn't want to do that benefit! Well, they say people get more conservative the older they get...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    I get what you mean but I'm thinking it's just as simple as the editor deciding to keep the story in Felder's voice - and he wouldn't necessarily stop and explain about Scheiner. Consistency of voice/tone is something considered important in an autobiography, where the reader should feel like they're in the midst of an ongoing narrative, as opposed to a historical progression. But then again, it could very well be that, respected or not, Don did not hold Scheiner in high regard. It seems to me that there were two factors in play:
    -yet another power struggle
    -value judgments based on the perceived value of each other's work. These types of decisions can be as much political as artistic or logistical.
    I felt it was unfortunate that almost the only comment about the producer (who's worked with the band from HFO through to HoTE) is a negative one and that he attributes it to Henley. That's sloppy in that he potentially pisses off three people without even giving his own opinion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

The point is that Felder was going against their collective ethos by behaving in the way he did & Frey was right to be upset with him. If he was so concerned at them doing it perhaps he should have said so before the actual show. What you say about Cranston has the benefit of hindsight. The Eagles diddn't know any of that at the time.
    So Glenn had a "right " to be upset with Don F., but Don F. didn't have a "right" to be upset and say, "I guess"? I didn't understand what the big deal was when I first watched the doc and "I guess", I still don't understand what the big deal is. If Glenn got so upset when Don F. said "I guess", you think he would have been reasonable if Don F. said he had concerns about them playing the benefit?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Springbo View Post
    So Glenn had a "right " to be upset with Don F., but Don F. didn't have a "right" to be upset and say, "I guess"? I didn't understand what the big deal was when I first watched the doc and "I guess", I still don't understand what the big deal is. If Glenn got so upset when Don F. said "I guess", you think he would have been reasonable if Don F. said he had concerns about them playing the benefit?
    The point is that if Felder had concerns, we don't know if he raised them. You are correct in that Glenn probably would have ignored these concerns. However Felder then decided to behave in a rude & unprofessional manner towards the band's guests at the actual event. I guess, to coin a phrase, not everyone agrees that his behaviour was rude & unprofessional, so I had better state that in my opinion (and also in the opinion of Glenn & Irving) it was. Even if you disagree with someone you behave with basic common courtesy.
    Last edited by Freypower; 12-29-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Isn't the whole point that it was something small - the final blow-up over something minor because they were just so fed up of each other?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, 'I guess' I see this somewhat differently. I can appreciate that folks think Glenn overreacted about this incident; I can also appreciate that Felder had a right to have a differing point of view; I can even appreciate that both men were partly wrong. However, IMO, the biggest problem is that I don't believe the ‘I guess’ remark was a minor incident. To me, it was inappropriate, rude, and disrespectful, especially when directed at a public servant and his wife at a public event. ‘I guess’ I’m old-fashioned, but where I come from that is indefensible behavior. But mostly, I wish that with years of retrospect and maturity, Felder had expressed some remorse for his behavior. I would’ve just liked to hear him acknowledge some responsibility for the incident or even that he could understand why it may have upset others - similar to how Bernie addressed the beer-pouring incident in the documentary. I totally respect Bernie for the way he handled himself. I’m sure some will say that Glenn didn’t acknowledge responsibility, but remember, he wasn’t the one that disrespected the senator and his wife. In addition, he has expressed regret and taken responsibility for the way he sometimes handled things in the band’s early years.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I haven't really followed this discussion lately, but I've seen occasional posts. I've always thought that Don's "I guess" was not meant to be heard by this politician (whatever his name was). In other words, I've always thought that Don was more or less thinking aloud and didn't mean to offend the politician (whatever his name was), and Glenn just happened to hear it. Did the politician (whatever his name it was) hear it too?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I haven't really followed this discussion lately, but I've seen occasional posts. I've always thought that Don's "I guess" was not meant to be heard by this politician (whatever his name was). In other words, I've always thought that Don was more or less thinking aloud and didn't mean to offend the politician (whatever his name was), and Glenn just happened to hear it. Did the politician (whatever his name it was) hear it too?
    He very definitely heard it! It's one of those things where if he'd been sober and straight, he wouldn't have said it, at least out loud. Of course, if Glenn had been sober and straight he wouldn't have reacted so very strongly.

According to other interviews done after the show, Glenn had already had it with Felder. Felder's "I guess" was just the last straw, as you said. It's a shame the directors of HOTE didn't do a better job of emphasizing that. It comes off as Glenn reacting so strongly to something that doesn't warrant such a strong reaction.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    He very definitely heard it! It's one of those things where if he'd been sober and straight, he wouldn't have said it, at least out loud. Of course, if Glenn had been sober and straight he wouldn't have reacted so very strongly.

According to other interviews done after the show, Glenn had already had it with Felder. Felder's "I guess" was just the last straw, as you said. It's a shame the directors of HOTE didn't do a better job of emphasizing that. It comes off as Glenn reacting so strongly to something that doesn't warrant such a strong reaction.
    Ok. That puts in in a different light. I'd always kind of wondered why it was such a big thing that Don said "I guess" to himself. I don't know why I misunderstood that from the start, but I'm glad I know better now.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Certainly, in recent years, Felder has played a multitude of benefits for charities. However, he has not shunned the political arena. As recently as last year, he played at a fundraiser for the Republican Party. Of course, the Felder of today is a very different man than he was in 1980, I'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Ha, no wonder he didn't want to do that benefit! Well, they say people get more conservative the older they get...
    In 2012, Don was simply hired to play a private party during the RNC. He didn’t endorse anyone.
    He’s not a Republican. He said to ABC News Radio that he’s apolitical:

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/music-...as-a-musi.html

Meanwhile, Felder's name emerged recently after a recent Parade magazine interview with Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and his wife, Ann, in which the couple discussed the artists which they'd like to see perform at the White House. Mrs. Romney revealed that she and Mitt were friendly with a member of the Eagles, leading some press outlets to speculate that she was referring to Felder, who reportedly played at a Republican National Convention event. However, Felder says he's "never met Mitt Romney or his wife."

He adds, "I think there was a misleading article…or some quote that he said that he had a friend in the Eagles. Well, it obviously wasn't me."

As for his own political views, Felder tells ABC News Radio, "I am apolitical, to tell you the truth. As a musician, I try to bring joy and happiness to people -- have them dance, party, have a great time. And I think music is really, isn't bound by countries or politics or race or color or sex."
    I don't think Don has ever minded playing for free for good causes. As you probably know, on May 25th, 1980 he performed (along with Timothy and Joe) at the Survival Sunday antinuclear benefit at the Hollywood Bowl. And on June 6th, 1982 he performed along with Timothy at the Peace Sunday antinuclear rally at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. The Peace Sunday and Don and Timothy are mentioned in the book The Rose Bowl (although Timothy’s name is misspelled and the date of the event is wrong, as it says June 17th):

http://books.google.com/books?id=QqY...2%2058&f=false

In June 1982, the Rose Bowl began playing host to antinuclear peace concerts. At this “Peace Sunday” concert on June 17 an estimated 80,000 people filled the Rose Bowl. The rallies were spurred by the Second Special Session of the United Nations on Disarmament. Similar concerts took place in other cities across the country, including in San Francisco and New York.
    Those showing the peace sign at Peace Sunday could have been moved to do so by a song, a speech, or a prayer. Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, and Don Felder and Timothy Schmidt of the Eagles were among the musicians at the event. Speakers included Jane Fonda, Rev. Jesse Jackson, and U.S. president Ronald Reagan’s daughter Patti Davis. Numerous celebrities came to the Rose Bowl to promote peace.