Page 7 of 116 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke
    Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    or is it just a bunch of BS to make people feel sorry for him? I honestly don't know which scenario is scarier.
    I do! After the way he bashed them in the book, who does he think he's kidding?

And, did Felder contribute any of the lyrics to HC?
    As far as I know, Felder did not write any of the lyrics to HC. So all the stuff about how he 'wrote' HC is wrong.

Like I said, I preferred the hostility because I could see the justification, even if I didn't agree with it. I find this new approach pathetic in the extreme, reminiscent of when he begged the hated Mr Frey to take him back.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I didn't think he did. The way he goes on in the book, he wrote the whole song!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    or is it just a bunch of BS to make people feel sorry for him? I honestly don't know which scenario is scarier.

As far as I know, Felder did not write any of the lyrics to HC. So all the stuff about how he 'wrote' HC is wrong.

Like I said, I preferred the hostility because I could see the justification, even if I didn't agree with it. I find this new approach pathetic in the extreme, reminiscent of when he begged the hated Mr Frey to take him back.
    It was the DJ's who introduced him as the person who wrote HC. He didn't, however, jump in quickly to correct that misconception. He did go on later in the interview to tell the story of writing it at his beach house, submitting it to the band on a cassette containing a bunch of half finished songs, and how it is the one that jumped out at Henley and Frey. So, I'm sure, in his mind, he cleared everything up.

I thought it was interesting that the song "Heavy Metal" was apparently part of that same cassette that was submitted to the band. When I think of the Eagles, first thing that comes to my mind is a song called "Heavy Metal"!

Stuck on the Border

It's funny though - Heavy Metal is a decent song, partly because Don Henley does some really good backing vocals on it (Tim may be on it too). I think if the Eagles had done it it could have worked.

Call me biased, but I don't know how anyone can hate Glenn Frey.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

In the Rolling Stone article, Joe was asked about Felder and he put it all in the proper perspective and I quote:

"You know what? It's Glenn's band. He decides shit with Don. I joined their band. They call the shots, that was the agreement when I came in, and it's the way it always will be. It's best when the four of us are all nodding yeah, or it's three against one, and the one guy is saying, 'Well, ya know.' But ultimately it's Glenn and Don's band. It's a democracy with two dictators." (LOVE that!)

I know they changed the plan with Felder, but hey, I guess he could take it or leave it and he left it. Joe understood.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

I finally found Heaven and Hell at Borders Book store. I'm like a lot of you. I found Felder's life interesting but bashing Glenn and Don Henley didn't need to be in there. It was interesting to me all the people he came into contact with over the years and his take on them. For the most part he seemed to get along with everyone along the way and stayed friends with most of them.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

It would honestly have been better if he had stuck to the 'evil Gods' stuff because this sudden humility and 'reaching out' is not pleasant to watch.

I totally agree with you here, FP. And just a few more thoughts about Felder’s book and publicity tour…

First of all, even though it’s not a huge deal, it would just make Felder appear a little bit more forthcoming if he had the interviewers introduce him as the man who co-wrote Hotel California. After all, it’s all about perception, isn’t it – we wouldn’t want people to be misled.

The next point I want to make is about all of Felder’s complaining that Joe or Tim did not come to his defense when he was fired. He never offers any explanation of why they should have other than because they were supposed to be his friend. Well, unfortunately for Felder, they are apparently Don and Glenn’s friends as well – and when they were forced to chose, is it any surprise who they chose? After all, who did Felder chose when his good friends, Bernie and Randy, left the band. I don’t believe Felder mentions him running to their side to continue their friendships. As a matter of fact, I got the distinct impression that he has not had much communication with either of them since their respective departures from the band.

I know there are people who argue that Felder’s situation with the band was different than Joe’s and Tim’s because he was originally brought in as a partner. This is true – however, as Brooke mentioned, things changed over time. For whatever reasons, it became clear at the time of the resumption that Felder was no longer considered on an equal level in the band as Don and Glenn. He accepted those terms at the time, and offers no evidence that he was misled. Even though he was apparently dissatisfied, he chose to remain a member of the band. While some people argue that he had no choice, and was forced to agree, I say hogwash! No one held a gun to his head, and he could have chosen to quit and offer his fine talents to another band. He never attempted to leave what he describes as an abusive situation – instead, he chose to cause discourse within the band until he was forced out. To me, there is no rocket science here. How many times do we preach to our kids every day that they need to take personal responsibility for their actions and the choices that they make instead of blaming others?

Maybe Felder was treated unfairly - none of us really know the answer to this. However, I will say that if he had rejected their offer and left the band at the time of the resumption because he felt he was being mistreated, I would have definitely respected that. But instead of leaving it, he made the decision to take it. He should have accepted it, and moved forward gracefully. I could have even understood that he could have second guessed himself after a while, but to second guess yourself for 7 years!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Perfectly expressed, Dreamer. Thank you.

I agree with you, FP - very well written, Dreamer.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down