Page 70 of 116 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Out on the Border

Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

All good points, and it's hard to imagine scenarios where it wouldn't have come down to this really. Well I can see one : if Azoff/someone had convinced Frey and Henley to get back on the road with an equal partnership for the 5 of them, I don't think Felder would have had a problem with that. After all that's how it works for the Rolling Stones (and most other bands), Watts and Wood get to share the profits of touring and recording with Jagger and Richards on an equal footing. It doesn't prevent Jagger and Richards from having more of a say and raking in more cash thanks to the songwriting royalties.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I don't know if this topic has been discussed in this thread - I went back to read from the beginning and got to page 10 and gave up. I was recently watching a 2009 interview with Timothy, and he said that all of the Eagles had the opportunity to review Felder's book before it was published, which sort of surprised me. But then I realized this made sense, obviously the publisher had concerns and didn't want to get sued for libel. I wonder how much time and care Don and Glenn (and their lawyers) chose to put into reviewing it? Do you think they were like, "Whatever...", or did they go through it with a fine-tooth comb? Perhaps they were just looking for serious factual inaccuracies, as they knew they couldn't argue with Felder's perceptions of things.

Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    After all that's how it works for the Rolling Stones (and most other bands), Watts and Wood get to share the profits of touring and recording with Jagger and Richards on an equal footing. It doesn't prevent Jagger and Richards from having more of a say and raking in more cash thanks to the songwriting royalties.
    Webvan - Thank you for bringing up Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood (esp. Ronnie since he wasn't a founding member). (I'm going to include Bill Wyman in this comment, too.) They don't write the songs or sing them, but they are clearly members of the band. This is what I always think of when people refer to Joe Walsh and Timothy as "sidemen." These two do not fit any definition of "sideman," yet people attempt to deride their status with this pejorative term. I always want to say, "so, do you think Charlie Watts is a sideman?" Are the drummer and bassist from U2 sidemen? Joe and Timothy may not receive the same percentage and Don and Glenn, but they are in for a percentage (and I'm assuming it's a percentage they all agree is fair). They are not paid by the show or the tour. [end of rant]

Amen! They are definitely NOT sidemen!

MC, I think Felder said he had to remove a few things, actually. Whatever is left may not have thrilled the band, but it wasn't anything they threatened to sue over. However, I can't find the particular interview right now, so take it or leave it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I'm sure he did have to change some things. I have read in a couple of articles that the publisher backed off of publishing it at one point due to concerns. It would be interesting to see his original draft, I'm sure it's just more Don and Glenn-bashing that crossed a line from his being his opinion to factual error.

One other observation I've been meaning to bring up. I have no doubt that the same day he was fired, the Eagles' lawyers instructed Timothy and Joe not to speak directly to him, as they knew without a doubt nasty litigation would ensue. Any communications would have to go through lawyers. Felder must have understood this - I have no doubt that he was disappointed to lose those two as allies, but he must have known they were not at liberty for legal reasons to be all buddy-buddy with him. So, I feel like his "Joe and I were best friends and we don't talk anymore" is a little disingenuous and a plea for undeserved sympathy. And, from that 2009 interview with Timothy, I get the sense that they are still enjoined from speaking about him or to him. And I'm not surprised.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I'm sure he did have to change some things. I have read in a couple of articles that the publisher backed off of publishing it at one point due to concerns. It would be interesting to see his original draft, I'm sure it's just more Don and Glenn-bashing that crossed a line from his being his opinion to factual error.
    I'd like the sources for those articles, please. I'd like to check them out.

I found one of the sources that mentions he was forced to make changes to the book here. Of course, he can't be explicit.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Felder in westword
    DF: No, I had an acknowledgement in [the book], but I took it out.

WW: What was your rationale for taking it out?

DF: There was no rationale. It’s an area that I can’t discuss. All I can say is that as a result of our legal settlement, we have a confidentiality agreement regarding certain things I can’t speak about. Why that wasn’t put in the book would fall into that category, so I can’t discuss it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I remember reading that much of the concern was about financial info Felder revealed in the book regarding the band.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasted View Post
    I'd like the sources for those articles, please. I'd like to check them out.
    Most recently, I read this:

"The book, Heaven and Hell: My Life in the Eagles (1974 - 2001), was published in the United Kingdom on November 1, 2007. The initial U.S. release was cancelled after publisher Hyperion elected to back out, in September, when an entire print run of the book had to be recalled for further cuts and changes. The American edition of Heaven and Hell was published by Wiley on April 28, 2008, with Felder embarking on a full publicity campaign surrounding its release."

here - http://bonnieblue828.tripod.com/EaglesPhotos.html

The writer does not provide his/her source, but it sounds like something that would be verifiable, if one were inclined to follow up.

Banned

I would be so interested to read a book from each of the members, although I know that will probably never happen, as private as these guys are. Especially if everyone was able to tell the unvarnished truth. I'm just nosey, I guess, and I love autobiographies and biographies. Maybe when they are older...