Page 90 of 116 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100 ... LastLast

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Banned

Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

I just read the book this weekend. I only watched the History of the Eagles part one and two a few weeks ago. I am a life long Eagles fan. I saw them live in 75 in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas at the Stones concert and again in 77ish in Austin after Joe Walsh joined.

My take away from the histories, is just how big a douchebag Glenn Fry turned into. His hatred still shines through all these years later. He ran off 3 members and that seems undeniable. My guess and only my opinion, is it’s rooted in his jealousy over how much more talented Henley turned out to be. He just can’t attack Henley the same way. I always liked Fry best. Henley's voice and music are better but the personality was what i liked. Too bad it was all an act.

Too bad we don’t know how much Felder got in the settlements. I can only hope it is a full 1/3 share. That is what he had coming.

The book was very good in places, his history with Stills, Petty, Allman bros, etc was fascinating.

Let the flaming begin.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

BTS, you might want to go back read this whole thread......it's very enlightening!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    BTS, you might want to go back read this whole thread......it's very enlightening!
    I've read maybe 10 pages of posts. I am mainly going from my own observations.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BTSinAustin View Post

Let the flaming begin.
    The flaming goes both ways. At any rate, I've said all I care to say on the matter in the documentary thread as well as this one. We welcome all opinions as long as they abide by the terms and conditions of the board (no flaming of band members and especially other board members being the prime one). I will say, I think I mentioned it in this thread earlier, I've not read a single autobiography where I didn't lose respect for the author after reading it. This was one of those. As for the other band members, when one person sets out to write something with an agenda of making someone else look bad, it's hard for me to give any of it any credibility. Felder has since said that writing the book was cathartic for him, and for him, I'm glad it was. I just feel bad that for him to get over it he had to paint everyone else in a bad light, and leave out the good stuff. Since he's said, many times recently, that he misses the other band members, and would just like to sit down and have a beer with them, it tells me it wasn't as bad as he made it out to be in the book. If it was, he'd be glad to be away from them (if still not pleased at not being in the band).

I guess I had more to say after all. As the saying goes, there are three sides to every story, and probably eight sides to this story. Bernie's, Randy's, Timothy's, Joe's, Henley's, Glenn's, Felder's, and the actual truth.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I've been debating whether or not to buy and read this book myself. I've read about 10 pages of this thread, and I have mixed feelings. I think that it would be a good read and it'd be cool to know more about Don Felder, but I don't want my blood pressure going sky high while reading it!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I've been debating whether or not to buy and read this book myself. I've read about 10 pages of this thread, and I have mixed feelings. I think that it would be a good read and it'd be cool to know more about Don Felder, but I don't want my blood pressure going sky high while reading it!
    I felt like I had to read it so I could make up my own mind. Unfortunately, afterwards I thought worse of everyone. With autobiographies, I usually find myself empathising with the writer, but not in this case. There are uncomfortable stories about people, particularly Glenn, and there's little doubt that there's truth in them, but to me it seems that Don is blind to his own faults and failings and always looks to put the blame onto someone else. I don't wish that I hadn't read it, but I do wish there were other books by band members and insiders to help me sort it out in my mind.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I felt like I had to read it so I could make up my own mind. Unfortunately, afterwards I thought worse of everyone. With autobiographies, I usually find myself empathising with the writer, but not in this case. There are uncomfortable stories about people, particularly Glenn, and there's little doubt that there's truth in them, but to me it seems that Don is blind to his own faults and failings and always looks to put the blame onto someone else. I don't wish that I hadn't read it, but I do wish there were other books by band members and insiders to help me sort it out in my mind.
    That's how I feel. I think that I will buy it when I can (hopefully next week off of Amazon). I'll just remind myself to take some of the stories with a huge grain of salt!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

My take away from the histories, is just how big a douchebag Glenn Fry turned into. His hatred still shines through all these years later.
    Don Felder writes an entire book with large sections dissing Glenn. Glenn spends a few minutes on a documentary criticizing Felder, keeping silent about Felder in every other interview he has ever done except one. Meanwhile, Felder has talked about Glenn often in his interviews.

GLENN'S hatred is what shines through to you?

I must add that it's strange how someone who claims to have been a huge fan of Glenn can't even correctly spell his name.

PS Around here, we don't go around calling band members "douchebags." If you want to keep posting here, refrain from juvenile name-calling. You can be critical without stooping to that.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by BTSinAustin View Post
    My guess and only my opinion, is it’s rooted in his jealousy over how much more talented Henley turned out to be.
    I prefer Henley to Frey but if I was honest I would say Glenn is on parity or better in a number of regards - he can play more instruments (and consummately at that), he does a lot of production and other technical work (see his credits on the Farewell 1 DVD; his orchestration on Long Road Out of Eden; and his nickname 'The Lone Arranger'), and has proven time and again he can write songs alone - I believe in all of his forty-fifty years Henley has managed that once. Henley was more successful in his solo endevours, but Glenn also embarked upon an acting career.

Glenn may not be the sort of person you'd like to sit down and have a beer with, and I believe some of the criticism levied against him is justified, but there is no-one I could think of I'd want to lead my band more. He's got the perfect mix of being a ferocious leader but also shrewd enough to know what's best for the band (see Henley dominating 1976-80).

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post

Glenn may not be the sort of person you'd like to sit down and have a beer with, and I believe some of the criticism levied against him is justified, but there is no-one I could think of I'd want to lead my band more. He's got the perfect mix of being a ferocious leader but also shrewd enough to know what's best for the band (see Henley dominating 1976-80).
    If you change 'beer' to 'drink', I'd have to say I would!! I'd even buy!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.