Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don's Wikipedia Picture

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Don's Wikipedia Picture

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Don Felder Online & Don Henley Online.

I have photos I took in 2010 but I wouldn't know how to copyright them & I would have thought they wouldn't be considered recent enough to use.
    Thanks for answering the question, FP. I've been busy all evening/early morning and couldn't answer it.

One thing I've noticed about Wiki photos is that the age of the photo doesn't matter. I've seen people have photos from their "heyday" used as their Wikipedia photo. The photo used for Mark Knopfler is from 2006. The photo for Barry Gibb is from 1973! (Just an example)
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I think one of his new Cass County photos would be great for it, but I suppose they couldn't be used. You would think the artist would have a say in what photo to use.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Out on the Border

Now that I think about it, that's right, any publication would want to ensure that the item being submitted is property of the person submitting...I suppose that's the purpose of the copyright?

I write for publication (not paid much unfortunately) and know that with many journals and online publications, authors retain all rights after first-time publication. Normally, the publication doesn't ask for anything beyond the writer formally attesting that the work is their own. I guess this is to protect the publication from a lawsuit if there's a plagiarism charge.

However, since the property (photo) is yours to share, it might be a simple process of attesting it's your own? BUT since the work involves the image of another person...oh dang it (like Bernie would say). Any lawyers on here?

Anyway, glad to see others feel that picture needs to go.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I think one of his new Cass County photos would be great for it, but I suppose they couldn't be used. You would think the artist would have a say in what photo to use.
    I don't see why because Wikipedia is not affiliated with any artists. If artists want choice over which photos appear on websites let them use their own website. They already try to control YouTube. There's a limit.

FP, the copyright defaults to you without you having to register it if you took the photo, at least according to US law. The fact that the photo is of another person is irrelevant (ask the paparazzi lol). However, once it is uploaded, Wikipedia gets the rights to use it as they please.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten