Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Don at 92nd Street Y (Kaufmann Concert Hall) in New York, NY - 9/20/15

Default Re: Don at 92nd Street Y (Kaufmann Concert Hall) in New York, NY - 9/20/15

Don't forget Don Henley in Conversation with Billy Joel is this afternoon at 5:00pm Eastern/4:00pm Central. This is going to be great. Two legendary singers in one room together. These two need to do a song together.

You can watch at these two links:
    https://screen.yahoo.com/don-henley-...140000628.html
    http://92yondemand.org/livecast

This event will probably be posted on 92ndY website later if you miss it.

Default Re: Don at 92nd Street Y (Kaufmann Concert Hall) in New York, NY - 9/20/15

Its about to start. Its going to be fun.

ETA: I'll be rephrasing a lot of this stuff. So please forgive me if I said something wrong or miss something.

Billy Joel introducing Don. He starts humming Dirty Laundry. It was funny.

Don is wearing a black jacket, black jeans, gray like shirt.

Don and Billy known each other since 70s. He opened for the Eagles in 1973, 1974.

Billy says he's never done this before. He's not Howard Stein, but he's going to try to not pissed Don off since he's his friend.

Why did you decide to stay with the Eagles when you have a great solo career(something like that).
    He says its a pleasure and honor to be here in NYC. Home of the country. He says the Eagles was about him. He started start talking about getting back together. He's not the big boss, but he is one of the bosses. He's shares the blame and praises with the band. While with his solo career, he's the boss and gets all the blame and the praises. The Eagles was the mothership that we always come back to.

Were you in a band as a kid?
    He was in band. He talks about Richard Bowden and he was in the band with Richard's father. He said when The Beatles came along, we need to start singing. He played everywhere with his band. Then they moved to California. When you are in a band, you want to get away from it, but when you're away from you want to get back in there.

When did you start writing songs?
    He started writing songs in 1965 or 1966. He's trying to buy them all back from Ebay. He talks about Kenny Rogers and how they met. They met at a clothing boutique. They were buying bell bottoms. One of the Bowden members talked to Kenny and invited Kenny to come hear them play at a club. He say yes. He was looking for groups to produce. Kenny said he was busy with his tour which will take a year. Keep in touch and we can make an album. They went California, made an single in 1970. Went back to Linden. One of their members died in a motorcycle accident. Went back to LA, made a record, and met Glenn. They were completely green as songwriters and the album wasn't good.

Went on the road with Linda in the spring of '71 for about 3 month. He and Glenn were put a band together.

Billy didn't know the guys were not from California until later. Don brings up that Timothy was the only one from California. Don brings up where everybody was from. Don says Joe is from everywhere. Brings up that Joe graduated from high school in Mount Clair, NJ.

Billy wanted to write songs like the Eagles. Be in the band. Billy brings up JD and Jackson. Do you considered yourself as a singer, songwriter or a musician.
    Don brings up he self taught himself to play the drums. He thinks of himself as all of those things. He thought of himself as green as a songwriter. He wasn't a singer at first with his band. He had to learn to sing and play drums at the same time. Everybody had to sing. Don chose a Beatles and he got picked. People asked how did he do that. He said he didn't know any better. He said its more harder playing guitar and singing then drumming and singing.

Billy was fascinated with Don playing drums and singing at the same. He jokes with saying he works harder than all of the guys and he should be paid more.

Billy brings up that they didn't have country music station in NY. Were you in the same studio with Mick?
    Don and Mick were not in the same studio. He goes around the question and start naming country singers who had tv shows. Johnny Cash, Glenn Campbell. He brought out Hee Haw.

They tend to put music in boxes and categories. His record company had a problem of where to put his new album in (category that is). Itunes didn't have category. Don hasn't look at a chart in years. When he saw them, their were 19 or 20 different charts. The album has Pure traditional music could be Americana, blues and rock. Their are two types of music: Good and bad.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 09-22-2015 at 03:54 PM.

Don talks about all the stations he listened to when he was growing up. He says his hometown was 2,500 when he was growing up and now its 1,900. Linden was located where the old south meets the west. Bluegrass, swing and he could get a radio station in New Orleans at night. His parents took him to a Lawrence Welk concert in Shreveport when he was 8 or 9. He snuck backstage and he was only fascinated by the drummer. He saw Lawrence with a bunch of groupies which were nuns in full habit.

Billy starts back East Texas and he didn't see this album as country or as America since East Texas is near Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana. Billy starts singing a country song he probably made up which was soo funny. Don says the new album doesn't talk about beer or truck

Don brings the radio station in Shreveport. Louisiana Hawride that he use to listen to. This was kinda the sister show of the Grand Ole Opry. Johnny Cash and Elvis would play that station when they couldn't on the Grand Ole Opry I guess because of their bad boy image.

Don talks about his father. How left the 8th grade to take care of his family. He also went to World War II and opened an auto parts shop after he came back from war. Most of Don's relative worked at the steel mill.

Bramble Rose was the first song he wanted to cover for the album. When I Stop Dreaming. He always wanted to do that song. He wanted to sing it with Dolly and knew she would do the song justice. Don starts talking like Dolly. Dolly told Don, "I know this song. Me and Porter(Wagoner) use to sing this song." So Dolly went into the studio to do the song. Then she said, (Don starts to talk like Dolly) "This key is a little high for me. He said this is the key we recorded in. Then she said, "I guess I have to rare back and get it." She did it in two takes and left. After she left, Don and his production crew stood there for 5 seconds and Don said what the hell just happened. Then it was time for the video. Dolly was very sick and was in the hospital when they did the video. She came out and stay for 6 to 8 hours shoot the video. She thanked everybody and went back to the hospital. He saw her hometown and said it was no paradise. They started to show When I Stop Dreaming. They play the whole video. Don brings up that the Louvin Brothers wrote it and said they were crazy. He brings up a biography I guess they wrote called The Satan Is Real. Then Billy said something like, The higher the hair the closer to God.

Their was a noise in the audience and Don wonder what that was He said something like was that a cell phone.

Billy loves the song A Month Of Sundays. Billy says that song could had been on Cass County. In 1980s, some farmers marched about their treatment and everything. That's how Farm Aid was formed. Don marched on Washington to protest about the farming. He talks about Praying For Rain. He talked about he wrote the song during a drought. Later it rained like hell for 2 months.

Billy brings up that Don has a baritone voice, but sings like a tenor (I'm glad somebody else notice that other than me) and asked Don is he having a hard time singing as a tenor.
    Don says yes. He has days when he can hit those notes and some days he can't. He has dropped the key to his songs. He sings falsetto sometimes, but doesn't like too. The Boys Of Summer is one of them. He can not sing that song in the original key anymore. You can sing high in the studio, but its hard when you're tour and singing night after night at his age.

Do you want to write Words or music first?
    Don say either or. He's not organize. He writes things in random pieces of paper and put them in a box. Don still uses a legal pad when he writes.

Billy says he lost the urge(My word) to write songs. He brings up it took you 15 years to put out another. What was your uption to write songs. Don writes all the time

Billy asked did he sing in the church choir?
    He said no, he was more talking and drawing in church.

He quotes Trisha about songs, "I like dark depressing songs, they make me happy."

Don says tells Billy you're not done. They threaten to write together. Don wouldn't mind writing with Billy, but of course it all comes down to time and schedule.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 09-25-2015 at 10:38 AM.

Don says the great time to write when he's loading the dishwasher. You have to find time to write or to clear your mind to come out with stuff.

If you could one redo in life what will it be?
    The vocals on the original recording of Desperado. It was recorded London Symphony. They were bored. He say he was still friends with Glyn Johns. He thinks. The musicians were so bored, they would play chess in between takes.

Billy brought a place called Allentown Nashville. He asked where was that
    . Allentown Nashville is a little 3 story house that use to be called Jack's Tracks. Garth Brooks bought it and named it after a friend.

Songs you have recorded or written that you wish you could take back.
    Pre-Eagles songs. Some songs on the first 3 albums of the Eagles. Not the song but one or two lines of a song.

Are you still looking out for the musicians(National Coalition thingy)?
    Don says sometimes. He goes around the subject of Google. He didn't want to talk about it because it was take a while and its not going to change.

Misunderstood Eagles or Don Henley songs? (Thanks for the wording AG)
    Billy Joel mentioned Hotel California. Don talked about the church (or pastor) in Oklahoma who thought that the Eagles were members of the church of Satan and had studied under someone who had a group out in California.

Don also mentioned Desperado. Not long after the song's (or album's) release, some guy wrote to the record company, and he thought that the it was about the group that kidnapped Patty Hurst.

How did you get come part of Waldon Woods?
    Don brings up they just celebrate 25 years. Margaret Lovelace was the teacher who introduce him to Thoreau and Emerson and he studied more in college. Don turns to Thoreau and Emerson when his father got sick and when he wanted to become a songwriter. December of 1989, he was watching television and heard two guys talked about Waldon Woods. The guys were talking about how the pond and woods were in danger and they were going to build an office park. He got their names. He talked and he wanted to help them. March of 1990 he flew to Waldon Woods and toured the place. He met with Edward Kennedy and Kathi Anderson. She told him they(the two guys) didn't have enough money to save Walden Woods. The rest is history. The lady he was talking to who was working with Kennedy is now his Executive Director of Walden Woods. They have saved 80% of Waldon Woods.

Bette Midler was in the audience. He wanted to thank her for the work she's done.

Don brings up the guy who came from Iran(I remembered that article and guy). He was translating Waldon in his language.

And that's the end. It was an hour and 40 minutes. Don and Billy were signing autographs as they played Where I Am Now in the background.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 09-20-2015 at 09:57 PM.

Great interviews. Don seem a little nervous, but he was funny. Both him and Billy.

This interview should be posted on 92Y website soon. You can watch it over and over. It will be on Live stream for 24 hours if you missed it.

Interesting. Don uses youtube & listens to podcasts. He rallies against youtube & google but admits to using them daily. The man is an interesting contradiction but hey aren't we all. Very enjoyable event.

Here's a picture of Don and Billy before the event.

https://m.facebook.com/92ndstreetY/p...pe=1&source=48