Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Don at 92nd Street Y (Kaufmann Concert Hall) in New York, NY - 9/20/15

Default Re: Don at 92nd Street Y (Kaufmann Concert Hall) in New York, NY - 9/20/15

Don's looking very trim!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Rebel

Default Re: Don at 92nd Street Y (Kaufmann Concert Hall) in New York, NY - 9/20/15

I agree, Soda. Don looks the trimmest I've seen him in a long time. He also looked a little tired, IMHO. I know he's been working very, very hard promoting his new album.

Shun, thanks for transcribing so much of the conversation. That's quite an undertaking!

Well, yesterday was a long, but happy day. We were originally going to stay over last night in Connecticut but decided to drive up and back from Cape Cod in one day. We left at about 7:30 AM and arrived in New York around noon. We got home a little after midnight. The drive was a breeze going in. We had a bit more trouble getting out of the city, but all in all, a pretty easy drive, compared to what driving to NYC can sometimes be!

Anyway, my daughter was meeting a friend for lunch, so I just decided to stay in the area and poke around the street fair that the 92Y had that afternoon before the show. It was a pretty impressive street fair, taking up at least 10 blocks with every kind of food, drink and doodad imaginable for sale. They also had some live entertainment, which was nice. The weather was beautiful for it and I enjoyed it. At one point, I decided to go back to the parking garage to charge my phone. As I was walking back up the hill toward the Y, there were a few people gathered on the sidewalk behind some barriers. Just at that moment, a black luxury SUV pulled up, and Don Henley got out and walked into the venue! He looked straight in front of him and didn't acknowledge anyone, although there were only a few people there at that time and they were fairly quiet. I know I was too shocked to say a word. Since I wasn't in a hurry to get anyplace, I waited around to see Billy Joel. He arrived around 45 minutes after Don at around quarter of 4. There were a lot more people by the time he got there. He was smiling and waving to the crowd.

Sure enough, as we were leaving and walking back to the garage, the guys were coming out. First, Bette Midler walked out to the street and got into a taxi. She said hello to people and had a great smile. She was so cute and down-to-earth. It wasn't but a minute or two later when Don and Billy got out and left in their separate SUVs. There were cars beeping and almost running people over they were going so fast to follow them. I'm not sure if they were stalkers or paparazzi, but it made me feel glad that I'm not a celebrity!

Border Rebel

Okay, some impressions from the show:

Billy said he had never done this before but he didn't seem nervous, and I thought he did a great job. The only thing I'd criticize on his end was his introduction. He read it straight from the program. The guy from the Y, in contrast, did an awesome job of introducing Billy. Don was not very relaxed at all, and I think Billy did a great job of getting him to open up. At first Don kept holding his hands in front of him in almost like a praying gesture (much as I love Don, kind of an affected stance, IMHO) or in front of his face, and I wanted to yell at him to stop. He's obviously not comfortable with that kind of a setting but as others have said, he loosened up as the show went on.

We were given blank cards, which we assumed were to write questions on, but no one said anything about so we didn't do anything about them until someone came to collect them. I couldn't think what to write, so I ended up asking "How did you first get involved with Walden Woods?" I was gobsmacked when it was one of the questions asked and SO excited!
    And when I heard Don's answer, I was even more so. I felt a few tears coming on when he quoted Emerson and talked about the difference his and Thoreau's writing has made in his life. He talked about WW for quite a while, and I had the feeling he would have gone on even longer quite happily. LOL.

As a (very amateur) fiction writer, I was fascinated to hear those two great song writers talk about their writing methods. I may have to try the notes in a box method. LOL.

All in all, it was a great day. Now I just need to get tickets to one of Don's shows. I really wish he would add some dates - especially one in New England!

ETA: I adore the picture someone added of Don and Billy before the show. So cute!

Congrats Mary for getting your question answered.

My observation from last night's interview and the Americana Festival interview last week. I think the problem with Don having his hands in his face a lot was because he didn't have anything in his hands. He's soo use to having something in his hands. The drumsticks and mike is his safety net to calm his nerves.

Like at the Americana Festival interview last week, he had a mike in his hands and he wasn't putting his hands in his face because one of his hands was occupied. So I'm guessing if Don doesn't have anything in his hands, he gets very nervous in front of people and hides his face then he starts to get comfortable after a while. I notice in a lot of interviews he does, he does do the praying gestures with his hands when he's nervous.

I believe that Mr. Henley would be more comfortable with something in his hands, as well. In an interview with Whoopi Goldberg, she revealed that Henley had given her a fan to hold for her performance of a seņorita type song at Carnegie Hall. She was feeling inadequate being on stage with people that REALLY sing... She asked how he knew that she needed something, and why it helped? He admitted to her that it was because he felt that way at times, and that it helped him, too. I had the interview in my favorites on youtube and wanted to attach it. However, it has been deleted, and I can't find it anywhere else. Anyone out there have a copy to attach? It is a favorite of mine...
    "Leave me be, I'm just walkin' this line!"

Other than his hands in his face a lot and rubbing his nose, he didn't seem nervous talking wise, but his body language said a different thing even if he was talking to one of his good friends.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 09-21-2015 at 10:11 PM.

I forgot to add that the volume was terrible. It was very low. I had the volume on my laptop all the way up to 100 and it was still low. I think that was also one of my problems getting everything that was being said. But it was still a great interview.

Border Rebel

Shun and Lila, that makes sense about Don's hands. If I were speaking in front of a group, I think I would feel more comfortable having something to hold as well. He should have remembered his own advice to Whoopi! He could have borrowed the drumsticks that he signed after the show for the people in the front row. LOL.

I forgot to mention that our seats were in the second row of the balcony, but my dd and I agreed that the view was perfect. Probably not a bad seat in the place!

Here's an article from Rolling Stone about the event last night.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...0150921?page=2

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    Okay, some impressions from the show:

Billy said he had never done this before but he didn't seem nervous, and I thought he did a great job. The only thing I'd criticize on his end was his introduction. He read it straight from the program. The guy from the Y, in contrast, did an awesome job of introducing Billy. Don was not very relaxed at all, and I think Billy did a great job of getting him to open up. At first Don kept holding his hands in front of him in almost like a praying gesture (much as I love Don, kind of an affected stance, IMHO) or in front of his face, and I wanted to yell at him to stop. He's obviously not comfortable with that kind of a setting but as others have said, he loosened up as the show went on.

We were given blank cards, which we assumed were to write questions on, but no one said anything about so we didn't do anything about them until someone came to collect them. I couldn't think what to write, so I ended up asking "How did you first get involved with Walden Woods?" I was gobsmacked when it was one of the questions asked and SO excited!
    And when I heard Don's answer, I was even more so. I felt a few tears coming on when he quoted Emerson and talked about the difference his and Thoreau's writing has made in his life. He talked about WW for quite a while, and I had the feeling he would have gone on even longer quite happily. LOL.

As a (very amateur) fiction writer, I was fascinated to hear those two great song writers talk about their writing methods. I may have to try the notes in a box method. LOL.

All in all, it was a great day. Now I just need to get tickets to one of Don's shows. I really wish he would add some dates - especially one in New England!

ETA: I adore the picture someone added of Don and Billy before the show. So cute!
    Sounds fascinating. Congrats on getting your question read!

Interesting about Don's nerves and his hands. I hadn't really thought about it before, but it makes sense.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten