Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bringing back solo songs (a request)

Banned

Default Re: Bringing back solo songs (a request)

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88
    My thought is the band will stop long before the quality decreases even by one percent. If they can't do it at 100 percent (in their minds) anymore, they will stop, the perfectionists they are. They wouldn't tolerate doing a 95 percent perfect show.The Eagles are already less than 100%. They are lowering keys and changing arrangements to counter it.
    When the Eagles split in 1981, Henley found a new partner in Kootch. Glenn teamed up with Jack Tempchin. When Hell Froze Over we were all looking forward to Glenn and Don writing resuming as a songwriting team again.

To me the Eagles are a meticulous band, put together to perform those wonderful Henley/Frey songs. Well imho, since HFO, the Henley/Frey writing team hasn't flourished at all. Henley's probably written more songs with Smith and Lynch, than he has with Frey. Remember, they used to be listed alongside Lennon & McCartney and Jagger & Richards etc.

The fact that we've got a thread about "Bringing Back Solo Songs" is ample evidence that the Henley/Frey writing team aren't firing.

I'm sure Glenn will be delighted that Don's made a great album but I want him to mobilise the band in a few months, determined to make a better one.
    If they can't write then bring back the solo tracks, including a track or two off Cass County. It'd be entertaining having Glenn, Don and Tim being Merle, Dolly, and Mick et al.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    When the Eagles split in 1981, Henley found a new partner in Kootch. Glenn teamed up with Jack Tempchin. When Hell Froze Over we were all looking forward to Glenn and Don writing resuming as a songwriting team again.

To me the Eagles are a meticulous band, put together to perform those wonderful Henley/Frey songs. Well imho, since HFO, the Henley/Frey writing team hasn't flourished at all. Henley's probably written more songs with Smith and Lynch, than he has with Frey. Remember, they used to be listed alongside Lennon & McCartney and Jagger & Richards etc.

The fact that we've got a thread about "Bringing Back Solo Songs" is ample evidence that the Henley/Frey writing team aren't firing.

I'm sure Glenn will be delighted that Don's made a great album but I want him to mobilise the band in a few months, determined to make a better one.
    If they can't write then bring back the solo tracks, including a track or two off Cass County. It'd be entertaining having Glenn, Don and Tim being Merle, Dolly, and Mick et al.
    You exaggerate when you say the Eagles were 'put together to perform H/F songs'. H/F didn't even start wrting together until the second album. They are not on the same level as the other duos you mentioned, precisely for the reason you mentioned. They haven't written enough songs together to qualify. Most of them have been with a collaborator. To be fair they did 'write' a couple of tracks together for LROOE, or at least they put both their names on a couple of tracks.

We have no idea what Glenn's thoughts are on making a new Eagles album. My guess is he has no desire to do so.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    UTW, you say the songs you mention give Glenn a greater workload. Well, that's what he needs. In HOTE, for me, when he wasn't singing lead he didn't seem to do very much. He was the most subdued & underused I have ever seen him, and after the joys of AH (which spoiled me, I know) I found that hard to take.
    FP - It totally baffles me that you think Glenn is underused in the HotE tour. He sings lead on approximately 1/3 of the songs in the set list, emcees the show (including co-narrating the beginning set and handling the band intro duties), is featured alone in the Already Gone video, and is featured heavily on many of Joe's songs. I'm not sure what level of participation from Glenn it would've taken to have made you happy. This is not a Glenn solo tour after all - he is sharing duties and the spotlight with 3 (4 including Bernie) other band members - and rightfully so, IMHO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    FP - It totally baffles me that you think Glenn is underused in the HotE tour. He sings lead on approximately 1/3 of the songs in the set list, emcees the show (including co-narrating the beginning set and handling the band intro duties), is featured alone in the Already Gone video, and is featured heavily on many of Joe's songs. I'm not sure what level of participation from Glenn it would've taken to have made you happy. This is not a Glenn solo tour after all - he is sharing duties and the spotlight with 3 (4 including Bernie) other band members - and rightfully so, IMHO.
    I know all that. I don't know how to explain it any better than I have done.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - For me personally, as much as I love Glenn, when I go to an Eagles show, I want to see a band effort. I don't want any one member dominating, which was the complaint many of us have with the HFO DVD. Just sayin'.

Anyway, sorry to take this thread off topic.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well - For me personally, as much as I love Glenn, when I go to an Eagles show, I want to see a band effort. I don't want any one member dominating, which was the complaint many of us have with the HFO DVD. Just sayin'.

Anyway, sorry to take this thread off topic.
    I didn't want him to dominate. As I said I can't explain what I thought was wrong any better than saying I thought he was below his best & less involved than he had been on previous tours.

Banned

Since HFO, the most solo tracks I've seen live, are strangely enough, Timothy's . Without the Eagles adding solo songs to their set list, I'd never get the chance to hear them, here in the U.K. I've little hope of that situation changing.

As I grew up with them, the solo tracks have far more relevance to me than the ancient Eagles hits. I guess whatever the Eagles are currently playing, is what dictates how relevant tracks are. Don's, Cass County is in vogue right now. I'd want to hear Cass County tracks played during the next UK Eagles tour.

I'm really warming to the idea of an Eagles 2K Tour. All the tracks played, barring the encore, being released since 2,000. It'd turn them back into a real band again. They've become slaves to their back catalogue.

I'd have to say that the HOTE shows were my favorite. I was soooo happy they got rid of the horn section. I never understood what horns had to do with the Eagles. Luckily they knew the horns were not part of their history.

I also love that Bernie was along and of course I loved how well they used Joe on the HOTE tour. The more Joe songs the better. The documentary made it very clear how much Glenn enjoyed Joe's solo work. If you watch Don & Glenn when they go into a Joe song they always have the biggest smiles on their faces.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69