Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cass County Reviews

Out on the Border

Thumbs down Cass County

Don,
    If someone said to me a while back that you would do a real country album, I would have laughed. I got it and it's real country, like the country music used to be, not cross over but honest to God real country. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. I like how you add all colors to the music too. The guest artist that you chose. There is only one of Dolly, Emmylou and Merle etc.... It is the way country music should have stayed if you ask me instead of corporate executives. concept of cross over to sell more hits. I love how you stick to your guns!
    Keep up the good work and also I wish you could come to the NW part of Arkansas. We have a very great new amphitheater with such great sound and for being outside it has great acoustics. I know there are health problems in the band but it's bet to come or book in the Spring. They have water misters for the public but being under stage lights gets damn hot, so a cool Summer or Spring evening would sell out 3 nights at least!
    Thanks for keeping it real,
    Drew Williams

Border Rebel

Default Re: Cass County

Welcome, Drew! Glad you liked Cass County. Being from the Northeast, I haven't listened to a lot of country, and as a Don Henley fan, I was a little leery about a country album. But I have to say, I'm really enjoying it. Music is music, and this is a first-rate musical offering, IMHO!

Default Re: Cass County

Welcome, Drew! I'm going to move this into the Cass County Review thread.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Cass County Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I have listened to Cass County a fair bit over the last week and I must say am highly impressed. So far I would put my favourites as being That Old Flame, Where I am Now and Praying for Rain. But I like all of the songs.
    Is it just me, or does Don do a full-on Bob Dylan impression about 2/3 of the way through "Praying for Rain"? That's not a criticism - it works! - but it's a little surprising is all.

This is an excellent album. Darn that Don, he's an excellent songwriter. "No, Thank You" is the kind of perfect kick-ass commentary that Henley is known for, in the vein of "Dirty Laundry."

I'm loving the Trisha Yearwood duet "Words Can Break Your Heart." This could be a hit song, if radio wasn't utter crap.

P.S. People who have the bonus track "Here Come Those Tears Again" - is it the Jackson Browne song?

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Is it just me, or does Don do a full-on Bob Dylan impression about 2/3 of the way through "Praying for Rain"? That's not a criticism - it works! - but it's a little surprising is all.

This is an excellent album. Darn that Don, he's an excellent songwriter. "No, Thank You" is the kind of perfect kick-ass commentary that Henley is known for, in the vein of "Dirty Laundry."

I'm loving the Trisha Yearwood duet "Words Can Break Your Heart." This could be a hit song, if radio wasn't utter crap.

P.S. People who have the bonus track "Here Come Those Tears Again" - is it the Jackson Browne song?
    Yep. He does sound like Bob Dylan during that part. I brought it up when I first heard the album.

Yes. Here Come Those Tears Again is a Jackson Browne song. I love the song. That was actually the first time I've ever heard that song.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

"Here Come Those Tears Again" is a wonderful song. Have you listened to Jackson's original yet?

Jackson actually co-wrote that song with his mother-in-law at the time. She brought him the lyrics and he wrote the music.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Rolling Stone rated CC the 20th best album of the year. It rated Adele's album at 2. It was only released a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...ounty-20151130

However, to my intense gratification, #23 is worth a listen.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

FP - hope you don't mind, but I moved your post to this thread because it was getting lost in all the other discussion in the 'press' thread.

CONGRATS TO CASS COUNTY!!!

Way to go Don - not too shabby to impress Rolling Stone with such a 'mature' country-tinged album.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Cass County!! Not a bad list to be on, although CC would be #1 on my list.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Pretty cool for a 68 year old rocker! Congrats to Don!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten