Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don at Comerica Theatre, Phoenix, AZ - Oct. 3, 2015

Default Don at Comerica Theatre, Phoenix, AZ - Oct. 3, 2015

I found a video from last night. I like the vest.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvXH8m6XVvE[/ame]
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 10-04-2015 at 03:26 PM.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Don at Comerica Theatre, Phoenix, AZ - Oct. 3, 201

I like it too. Apparently the set list was

1. Seven Bridges Road
    2. No Thank You
    3. End of the Innocence
    4. Praying for Rain
    5. That Old Flame
    6. Heart of the Matter
    7. She Sang Hymns Out of Tune
    8. I Put a Spell On You
    9. Let's Burn Down the Cornfield
    10. Everybody Knows
    11. New York Minute
    12. Dirty Laundry
    13. Take a Picture of This
    14. Words Can Break Your Heart
    15. Last Worthless Evening
    16. When I Stop Dreaming
    17. The Cost of Living
    18. Bramble Rose
    19. It Don't Matter to the Sun
    20. Everybody Want to Rule the World
    21. Where I Am Now

ENCORE

22. Boys of Summer
    23. Train in the Distance
    24. All She Want to Do is Dance

I must say if this set list is at every concert I'm impressed. All the ones I particularly like from Cass County were included
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Wow, he's doing most of the album, and starting with Seven Bridges Road! Can't wait to hear how the audience responded to all the new material, and November can't get here soon enough for me!

A good selection of songs. Half and Half. 13 old songs(including cover songs). Don wasn't lying when he said he wasn't going to do any Eagle songs. WTG to Don. This was a good selection.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 10-04-2015 at 03:03 PM.

Banned

That must one of the longest set lists Don's ever played. I hope he keeps it up. The only disappointment personally, is no A Younger Man.
    Everybody Knows and I Put A Spell On You are surprises to me.

Who would've thought Everybody Wants to Rule The World would've been a stayer.
    From memory, Don started performing Randy Newman's Political Science (Let's Drop The Big One) after 911 then quickly switched to the Tears For Fears cover. It's become a Henley staple.

I've just looked up, Let's Burn Down The Corn Field. I can sure hear Don singing this;

Etta James - Let's Burn Down The Corn Field
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT2MO8QuTt0

I wonder how Don feels, leaving the stage without performing Hotel California or Desperado. At some point, he'll surely miss performing them.
    Last edited by Funk 50; 10-04-2015 at 03:05 PM.

I think Don usually has Everybody Knows in his set. I was really shocked about Seven Bridges Road though.

From the setlist, it looks like a 2 and a half hour show or close to over 2 hours.

You will definitely get your money's worth. I wish I was going to one of those shows.

Don gets to rest until his next show in San Francisco tomorrow. He's probably already there.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I agree shun about the timing of the show being around 2 - 2 1/2 hours with that set list. That is awesome and I hope he will be able to keep it up. It's going to be pretty hard on him though, particularly when most of his past solo show ran around the 90 minute mark. He may be testing the waters to see how the songs play live and then start gradually dropping some of them. I do like his Cass County choices for the most part. I also don't remember ever hearing Let's Burn Down the Cornfield before. As I said, I'm hoping he'll be able to maintain this, but, if not, it'll be interesting to see what stays or goes.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Default Re: Don at Comerica Theatre, Phoenix, AZ - Oct. 3, 2015

I was there...show was about 2:15 or so. Had at least 5 separate audio dropouts at different parts of the show, some going for well over a minute. Don was a pro, but you could tell he was unhappy with the sound crew and made a few comments on it, and also thanked the audience for their patience with the issues.

The new songs were good, but my impression from the crowd was that they felt that there was a bit too much from the new album overall. I think at one point there was 4 new songs in a row, and I think that may have been asking too much of the audience when the album is still so new, and the material he chose was not exactly 'high energy'...that's not to say that it wasn't good, but it was a bit slow at points.

Don sounded good, and his backup singers all did a great job. He also was very good about showcasing each musician at various points, and I also thought it was interesting/self-effacing that he had his own spotlight dimmed when he wasn't actively singing/playing during the songs.

Set design was pretty minimalist...there were about 40 old-time table/console radios suspended from the top of the stage over the band, and Don mentioned that some of his inspiration for the album was from listening to the radio in the 50s-60s, when you could listen to one station and hear many genres of music and 'expand your musical palate', as opposed to now when stations are so narrowly focused.

A good show overall, and if you're a big fan of Don you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the review. A ballsy setlist - is this the first time he ever has done a setlist without HC? Brave move!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by nullstadt View Post
    I was there....

The new songs were good, but my impression from the crowd was that they felt that there was a bit too much from the new album overall. I think at one point there was 4 new songs in a row, and I think that may have been asking too much of the audience when the album is still so new, and the material he chose was not exactly 'high energy'...that's not to say that it wasn't good, but it was a bit slow at points.

A good show overall, and if you're a big fan of Don you won't be disappointed.
    Great that you were there Nullstadt and welcome to the Border. Thanks for your impressions of the show. It sounds quite a daring set list for Don, and like others have said I am rather surprised at the omission of both HC and Desperado.
    The bit I have highlighted is interesting, as the same comment was made about Glenn when he did the After Hours concerts in 2012 - although I loved the LA show and was delighted that he showcased so much of his new album.
    In real terms of course it doesn't make sense to do a show to promote an album and then not play many songs from it, so IMHO Don definitely did the right thing. But perhaps (as with Glenn ) the more casual Eagles fan may have been expecting more of his older or Eagles work.
    Anyway I hope everyone who can gets to one of Dons shows anyway. I am soooo tempted after seeing this set list

Shun, are you going to any? Surely you must be?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP