Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don at Grand Prairie, Dallas TX 15 October 2015

Default Don at Grand Prairie, Dallas TX 15 October 2015

Hi,

I just got back home today from Dallas. I'm jet lagged at the moment, so I'll write about the show later. I'm guessing no other 'borderers' were at this show, as there are no reviews at the moment.

Default Re: Don at Grand Prairie, Dallas TX 15 October 2015

A review as promised.

ANGELS FROM THE FUTURE AND OLD DEVILS FROM THE PAST

Firstly, this is a ‘must-see’ show, and I’m very glad I went over to the US to see it (and have a holiday in the Texas sun).

The Verizon theater seats about 6,000 people. Our seats were in block 102, row G, a bit to the right of centre stage. We had an excellent view of the whole stage. I was, of course, with my Texan friend, a fellow Eagles & Don Henley fan.

I was totally awestruck by the opening song, Seven Bridges Road, sung by Don, the young ladies and the band, standing in a semi-circle at front of stage. WOW.

Don said it was good to be home.

In about the 3rd or 4th song one guy near the front stood up. Don signalled to him to sit down, and he did. During the next pause between songs, Don said something like “standing up alone when there are about 6,000 people around & behind you sitting down.......I don’t get that”.
    To be honest, I thought it wasn’t necessary for Don to do that.
    However, moving on.............

If anybody thought that the young ladies on stage had been chosen just because they were pretty, that thought was quickly dispelled during the duets. They all had AMAZING voices. No need to be disappointed about the singers from the album not being there – these ladies did a fantastic job. I’m sure they’re all gonna do great things in the future (the angels from the future!).
    I found out afterwards they’re all graduates from the USC Thornton School of Music – where Will Hollis lectures.

I was pleased that Don did so many songs from Cass County. They came across well live, sounding even better than on the album. ‘Praying for rain’ sounded especially good.

Don’s voice was a little scratchy occasionally, and I thought he might not hit the higher notes, but he did.
    Don was looking good, like he may have lost a little weight since I saw him with the Eagles last year. He was dressed in black trousers, shirt & waistcoat ( or vest, to US fans!)

Don got the band around the microphones again for ‘It don’t matter to the sun’ and again I was awestruck. I love the song anyway, and this version was incredible. Good idea to do it this way.

Don introduced then band. Intros that I remember:-

Mike Thompson, who he said was ‘looking like he’d just walked off the set of Gunsmoke’.
    On drums, as always, Scott Crago
    On keyboards & vocals, Will Hollis....the musical director for this band
    On bass guitar,The Undertaker, Lance Morrison
    On steel guitar, Milo Deering, ....’we found him out prospecting’
    Can’t remember what he said about Chris Holt, on guitar.

Don was chatty between songs, and recalling his youth, growing up in Texas. He talked about putting pennies on the railroad track & waiting for the train to come along and flatten them. He said ‘if you were rich you used nickels.....we weren’t rich’.

I know I’m biased, but as Don’s MD, Will has to be applauded for getting the band & singers for this show together. Will once said ‘Don tells me what he wants to do & I just go and arrange it’.

The audience seemed well pleased with what they were hearing and showed enthusiasm. I didn’t see anyone breaking the rules by using cameras or cell phones.

If you get a chance to see this show DO IT.

Sorry if I’ve repeated things that others have said, but I haven’t got around to reading all the reviews/posts yet.

As a P.S.
    I have to eat my words, as I’ve been very scathing about Will’s beard & moustache. I’d only seen it in photo’s, and now that I’ve seen it in the flesh I have to admit it doesn’t look so bad – maybe there’s even something a bit sexy about it (from someone who generally doesn’t like beards, that’s a big admission to have to make).
    Anyway, he looked HOT , and it was a treat to hear him playing the piano on a couple of songs too.

Thank you, StephUK, for a terrific review of Don's Dallas concert. So pleased you could make it over to see the show!

P.S. Happy Belated B-day, StephUK!
    Last edited by LuvTim; 10-21-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks for the review! Sounds like a fantastic birthday present!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks for the entertaining review, StephUK. Interesting info on the back-up singers. Glad it was worth the trip.

Thank you for the fantastic review, StephUK, and glad you got to see Will again at his best!
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Steph, thanks for your review! How cool that you got to cross the pond and see Don and Will! Sounds like it was well worth your trip!

Love your avatar and your sig! The kitties are too cute! Will too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Thanks for the excellent review, StephUK! Glad that you enjoyed the show!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Border Troubadour

Very jealous StephUK that you got to see 'my' Don but so glad you enjoyed it. He's the best
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Thanks for this interesting review! Envious of you, getting to attend the show! Thanks so much for sharing.