Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glenn rumored to act in Broadway play!

Default Glenn rumored to act in Broadway play!

According to an interview with Don, Glenn will be doing a stint on Broadway! Sally of Rockphiles did some research and discovered it is probably the musical Chicago, and the role is probably Billy Flynn.

BTW, does anyone else think that Don sounds a pit pissed off at Glenn in this interview? There's several "I didn't want to do this but I was overruled by Glenn" type comments. Hopefully they will continue to work together in the future at some point despite the tensions (ie TOUR).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Nah, I think it is just more of the usual Don-Glenn dynamic.

Loved the comment about how Glenn wanted to play the new songs before people got too drunk & rowdy to listen to them. The voice of experience!

Now, back to the "mothership." Beam me up, Scotty!

Stuck on the Border

WHY does Don have to say things like 'I wish some songs had been removed' and 'I wish it had been a single disc'. I don't know which songs he didn't want, and frankly I don't want to know. 'Some of the band members had a lot of songs and wanted them on there'??? Joe and Tim have two each. Does he mean those? Or does he mean Glenn's songs? Surely he understands that an 'Eagles' album has to have more songs than those sung by him? Talk about suddenly putting an end to the excitement. I have the album playing at the moment and all I can think is 'Don didn't want all these songs released'.

Doing 'Chicago' is a massive, massive gamble. I don't get it. Apart from anything else, it would mean having to get on a stage without a guitar to hide behind, wouldn't it? He has never done anything like this in his life.

Well, I know that Don and Glenn are both immensely talented men who are intimately involved in every minute detail of each Eagles album, so they are bound to have many conflicting opinions. We hear more of Don's viewpoint on different matters because he gives more interviews.

And personally, I think the news about Glenn taking to the stage is terrific. Don Johnson is playing the Billy Flynn role on stage in London, and he & Glenn have a friendship that goes way back to the Miami Vice days--maybe he told Glenn how much fun it is. I know Glenn has never done anything like this before, but more power to him! Go for it, Glenn!

Well, I kind of grimaced at a couple of those comments, like where he states that his political material balances out all the "sappy romantic stuff." I agree with you, FP, that there is more to it than these stereotypical roles. Both men have shown they are capable of moving beyond that. Indeed, I think they do in some ways on this very album, but for some reason, Don wants to encourage the stereotype here. I think he was probably just in a bad mood.

But, as DonFan says, that's always been the way of it - creative tension. I do appreciate that Don is taking the trouble to do so many interviews.

I think Glenn is doing Broadway precisely BECAUSE he's never done anything like it before. He wants to challenge himself, IMHO. That's the reason for his obsession with golf, I think. It was a new world to conquer.... and so is the stage.

Stuck on the Border

He comes across as a dilettante while Mr Serious Songwriter talks about doing THREE new solo albums.

There was also the stuff about how Don produced 'his' stuff and Glenn produced 'his' stuff. The 'sappy romantic' stuff is grist to the mill for people who only think Don's songs have any importance. I think this is extremely unhelpful at the moment. I really think we could have done without this. Even if Don was in a bad mood he could have talked about the 'other' songs with a shade more grace.

Well, it wasn't the ideal interview, no. I am glad Don is doing more solo albums, though. Judging from Waiting in the Weeds, the well has by no means run dry. Maybe he'll tour solo again. Wish Glenn would do the same! I'm a demanding wench.

I look forward to going into the link for Don's interview you provided, Soda (time escapes me now ), but I just wanted to say that I think it's great that Glenn is trying a new type of venture. At the same time, though, I feel sad that this will probably delay any plans that the Eagles may have to tour to promote their new album. Oh, gosh, how I hunger to see them live. On the plus side, however, it gives me more time to save money to see them!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I am shocked at the way Don talked in that interview! I can't believe he would go on record and say the things he said. Good grief! I hope the rest of the guys didn't hear that. No wonder they need a break! Honestly, he didn't have to say those things.

My local radio station was talking about the interview this morning and he said if they were thinking of doing a "Grumpy Old Men #3" that they would know where to go for a lead character!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower

Doing 'Chicago' is a massive, massive gamble. I don't get it. Apart from anything else, it would mean having to get on a stage without a guitar to hide behind, wouldn't it? He has never done anything like this in his life.

He wouldn't need the guitar to hide behind here as he would be "hiding" behind the character he's playing. If these rumors prove true, I"m thrilled for Glenn. He'll have a blast. If only I could catch a show.