Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Road Out of Eden Survivor

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Long Road Out of Eden Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    To try and save "What Do I Do With My Heart", I vote for "Long Road Out Of Eden".
    Well Keith - I see you've come to your senses after your meltdown last round.

I don't know if it's possible to save WDIDWMH or not, but I'll gladly join the bandwagon to vote for Long Road Out of Eden to save it. I'll wait to vote for now to see how this round plays out.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

No contest for me here, I vote for What Do I Do With My Heart. The remaining songs are some of my favorites, including all 3 of my top 3 songs.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Same here!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well Keith - I see you've come to your senses after your meltdown last round.

I don't know if it's possible to save WDIDWMH or not, but I'll gladly join the bandwagon to vote for Long Road Out of Eden to save it. I'll wait to vote for now to see how this round plays out.
    I've never been accused of going anywhere near my senses before. Thanks, Dreamer!
    I'm still amazed by how widely opinions can vary. I wonder if "...Eden" has some extra juice because it's the title track. I would have never thought that it or "Somebody" would have lasted this long.
    "a full refund...in dollars and in karma"

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

I think we should just declare How Long the winner and be done with it !! Lol !!

Border Rebel

I really feel that Somebody should have been gone several rounds ago, and it doesn't belong in there with the songs that are left. I'm not sure I have a preference between LROOE and WDIDWMH, so I guess I'll vote for Somebody, even though it's not going to count for anything.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    No contest for me here, I vote for What Do I Do With My Heart. The remaining songs are some of my favorites, including all 3 of my top 3 songs.
    I almost completely agree with you here, except that the remaining four are my four big favourites, so I'm delighted to see them all still in running.

I vote for What Do I Do With My Heart again. Having said this, I would be interested to hear a case for its defence, as I do love the other four and I would voted to eliminate just about any of the other tracks if they were still in at this stage.

To me these are all major plus points from my 'big four' songs:

How Long
    - Very old school in sound and feel, it could easily have come from any of the pre-Walsh albums bar the concept-based Desperado and if it was put in amongst, say, the OTB tracklist and you didn't know where it came from it, most people probably wouldn't realise it wasn't from that album.
    - Great vocal trade off between Glenn and Don.
    - It matches the live versions from the early 1970s for overall quality, if not better. I do like it with Randy singing the third verse, but I really like it with Glenn too (especially 'but what you get is not quite what you choose').
    - Above all, immensely enjoyable to listen to, it brightens up my day when I hear it.

Waiting In The Weeds
    - Absolutely brilliant lyrics, very clever and with great use of metaphors and imagery.
    - Brilliant harmony vocals on the choruses - unmistakeably 'Eagles'.
    - A lovely main chord sequence which drives the song musically.
    - Gorgeous piano solo at the end, blending with those harmonies. The mandolin solo in the middle is also very nice.

Long Road Out Of Eden
    - Another great set of lyrics, the final verse in particular with the ghost of Caesar. Also very cleverly written in a way that's very different to WITW.
    - The guitar work is top notch, not just Joe with his magnificent solo but also Steuart's E-bow playing.
    - The rhythm section, Scott Crago's drumming is strong and I love Tim's prominent bass near the end.
    - Part of what makes it great is that it successfully avoids falling into the two main potential traps - it does not feel like 'Hotel California Part II', and IMO it is far better written, resonates more strongly and is less pretentious than the heavy-handed The Garden of Allah.

Somebody
    - Great use of slide guitar and organ, which are two of my favourite instruments in rock music (most of my favourite bands use at least one of these with some regularity).
    - The vague lyrics work really well here, if they were more specific some of the sense of fear and being followed would be lost.
    - Glenn's lead vocal, absolutely love his sneering voice on the final verse and how he belts out the chorus.
    - I feel it manages to successfully combine influences from both early Eagles (it has that dark, 'satanic country rock' feel of Witchy Woman) and later Eagles (I know the slide guitar reminds some people of Glenn songs like Smuggler's Blues, but personally it reminds me of The Long Run era, especially the slide playing on Heartache Tonight), while very much having an identity of its own.

If WDIDWMH does survive this round, at least it'll make my choice in the next round easier, so I can't lose either way!

I love What Do I Do With My Heart. So I can't vote against it. So I hate to do this.

So I'm voting Somebody.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I've never been accused of going anywhere near my senses before. Thanks, Dreamer!
    Well there's a first time for everything, Keith. You're welcome!

I'm still amazed by how widely opinions can vary. I wonder if "...Eden" has some extra juice because it's the title track. I would have never thought that it or "Somebody" would have lasted this long.
    Honestly, the remaining five songs are exactly the ones I figured it would be. It's hard to know if this reflects the larger population, but these seem to be the fan favorites at least on this board. The big surprises to me so far in this game were the order of finish of some of the songs in the 'middle' rounds. Anyway, based on the outstanding votes, I'm thinking this round is going to be a showdown between What Do I Do With My Heart and Somebody, so I'm going to wait a bit longer before I vote.

And nice summation of these remaining songs, JCL.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy Woman View Post
    I think we should just declare How Long the winner and be done with it !! Lol !!
    I think the winner is going to be the song that has not had one vote against it yet, i.e. Waiting In The Weeds. For me, I want How Long gone now. (NB I already voted for it so I'm not trying to cheat or anything).

Regarding WDIDWMH it's the only song in this last few that was never performed live. I say 'was never' because sadly I don't think it ever will be.
    Last edited by Freypower; 12-03-2015 at 04:41 PM.