Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn's Health

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Poor Glenn. I'm sad that I won't get to see the guys get the honor next month, but I'm glad KCH will honor them next year. Usually if something happens to a honorees, it sometimes take years to get picked again. So I'm looking forward to next year when the guys get honored. I wonder if they put somebody in the guys place and just have 5 this year.

A speedy recovery for Glenn and he's back in full force next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I have a query about this:

An attempt to reform the Eagles in 1990 was put off, in part, because of surgery to remove a large part of Frey’s intestine.

To my knowledge the first surgery had been in the late 80s (as the Post states, 1986). I thought the reunion failed because Glenn was unimpressed with the other Eagles' supposed reasons for reforming (money). Felder basically confirms this (Eliot claims Henley vetoed the reunion). I was unaware that Glenn had surgery that year. Felder states he had surgery in 1993 (and then again in 1994; I had to wait until 1995 before seeing them for the first time).

*NB Soda or Dreamer, move this to the Glenn's Health thread if you think it's more appropriate; it is just that the longer article appears in this thread so I posted here.
    I thought that he was hospitalized with a bout of diverticulitis before any of his surgeries. This would have been when he was supposed to perform with Don (& one or more of the other Eagles I think) at a charity event. Glenn made a remote appearance from his hospital room explaining why he wasn't there. Would this have been 1986? I understood that his first surgery was around 1989. He was unable to do much promotion for Soul Searchin' because of it. He claimed in one interview that he was out of commission for a year.

I believed that his second surgery was in 1994 when the Eagles had to postpone part of the HFO tour until he recovered. I would have to do some research to as to dates & details. I may be mistaken about these statements.

Stuck on the Border

Thanks GL. Felder states the video apology was in 1993 when they were due to perform at an antinuclear show with Stevie Nicks & Lindsey Buckingham (i.e a one off show). The second surgery was definitely 1994 as I said. So as you say, I think the previous surgery in around 1989 afer I saw him for the first time in 1988 was prior to the attempt at a proper reunion & had nothing to do with that not going ahead.

Unfortunately looking at some sites' reporting on Facebook (Rolling Stone hasn't bothered to cover it) some nasty comments are starting to be made. If you don't like someone you could at least show some respect for the fact that he is ill & refrain from posting.

I haven't looked at any comments today so thanks for the heads up as to what is being posted now. Yesterday they were all well wishes, even from some who said they weren't fans. One comment was from a man who said he had the privilege of working with Glenn for 8 years. He called him a "great, great man". Nice to hear.

Btw, I have heard Glenn's speech from his hospital bed & I'm sure it wasn't during a time when the Eagles were together.

On Oct 6, 2015 at this link http://popskand.com/1994-glenn-frey-...oday-enduring/, it states that Glenn underwent surgery on that date in 1994. I knew I had read that recently so I did a search.

I have that bootleg. The concert was recorded on August 28, 1986. It was to be the first time they had played together since the breakup - it was for one of Don's benefits to help the environment.

As far as I know, it went down like this:

1) 1986 - hospitalized but no surgery
    2) 1988ish - 1st surgery (before 1990 reunion, the breaking-off of which had nothing to do with Glenn's health, but it kept him from touring for Soul Searchin')
    3) 1994 - 2nd surgery

That's all I can gather from various interviews and such. I can't find an exact date for the first surgery, but I'm pretty sure it's what kept him home in 1988/1989 when he normally would have been promoting his album.

PS I am going to go ahead and move all these posts to Glenn's health thread.

PPS Stevie and Lindsey never did a one-off benefit in 1993, unless you count them performing "Don't Stop" with Fleetwood Mac for Clinton's inauguration. Felder is confused in more ways than one!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Glenn's Health prevents Eagles Participation in this years Kennedy Centre Honors

Very sorry to hear Glenn has to have surgery and I hope he hasn't been in too much discomfort these past months. Everyone on the Border is sending kind and healing thoughts your way, Glenn!!

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I have that bootleg. The concert was recorded on August 28, 1986. It was to be the first time they had played together since the breakup - it was for one of Don's benefits to help the environment.

As far as I know, it went down like this:

1) 1986 - hospitalized but no surgery
    2) 1988ish - 1st surgery (before 1990 reunion, the breaking-off of which had nothing to do with Glenn's health, but it kept him from touring for Soul Searchin')
    3) 1994 - 2nd surgery

That's all I can gather from various interviews and such. I can't find an exact date for the first surgery, but I'm pretty sure it's what kept him home in 1988/1989 when he normally would have been promoting his album.

PS I am going to go ahead and move all these posts to Glenn's health thread.

PPS Stevie and Lindsey never did a one-off benefit in 1993, unless you count them performing "Don't Stop" with Fleetwood Mac for Clinton's inauguration. Felder is confused in more ways than one!
    Thanks Soda. That pretty much confirms what I thought happened. I just didn't know the details of the 1986 hospitalization. I knew you would.

Banned

Default Re: Glenn's Health prevents Eagles Participation in this years Kennedy Centre Honors

I remember a 1992 radio interview to promote Strange Weather, I think it was with Nicky Horne. Nicky asked Glenn about the song Soul Searching and Glenn answered that he had an extended period of time to do some Soul Searching after he had recorded the song. He may have mentioned that he was recuperating after being hospitalized.

Such a pity that Glenn didn't get a chance to tour/promote the Soul Searching album. It has some great songs on it.

Get better soon, Glenn. Thinking of you.

This probably doesn't say any more than we already know.

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/11/0...-take-it-easy/

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014...-casanova.html