Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn's Health

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Glenn's Health prevents Eagles Participation in this years Kennedy Centre Honors

Took ya long enough Rolling Stone. (Nothing new though.)
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...rgery-20151107
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Default Re: Glenn's Health prevents Eagles Participation in this years Kennedy Centre Honors

I've got an inquiry, and I'm not sure where to post it. Since it deals with Glenn's health, I thought that here would be best. Mods if you want to move to a more appropriate place, I understand.

Yesterday, I was reading through the HFO celebration thread, and I came across an old article from 1994 that someone had posted. In it, they talk about the 1990 reunion try. Here's what Glenn says about why he didn't do it.

I wasn't ready," Frey says now of that period. "I had just remarried . . . had just had major surgery to remove a section of my large intestine--a congenital thing since birth--that left me laying on my back in Cedars-Sinai with a bunch of staples in my stomach.
    When something like that happens, you lay back and say, 'What's important?' The answer to me was write songs in the morning, play golf in the afternoon and have dinner with my beautiful new wife who was just pregnant with our first child. The timing was bad for me
    I've always heard that Glenn's GI problems came from the cocaine and other drugs he used back in the day, not something that he's had since birth. Has anyone else heard Glenn mention this before or has he always said that it came from the drugs?

Here's the link to the article. This is page 3. The beginning of ehat I quoted is on page 2.
    http://articles.latimes.com/1994-05-...l-california/3
    -Kim-

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have no idea, so this is purely speculative - but maybe it's both. He could have been born with the condition, but it was aggravated by cocaine.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I do know that one time when he was in NY & I believe it was during the HFO tour, he became ill & went to a gastro dr. here in NY. I know he has has continuous issues with this, & I never heard it was related to drugs.

My bosses son had an tumor in his intestines at age 31 & he is also a doctor doing residency & had to have major surgery. He lives a very healthy lifesyle. I know he doesn't do drugs, that's for sure.
    I don't believe this condition is related to drug problems, but possibly more genetic. Not sure if anyone in Glenn's family has had this or similar condition, but could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I have no idea, so this is purely speculative - but maybe it's both. He could have been born with the condition, but it was aggravated by cocaine.
    I was thinking the same thing Dreamer.

TK, here's a quote from GFO in the Quotable Frey section where he's talking about living right.

I got sick. I was supposed to do a benefit concert with Henley, and I ended up in the hospital with diverticulitis. It's from burgers and beer and blow and broads -- all the bad stuff I'd been doing to myself.
    Here's a quote from the Washington post article that broke the news of Glenn's surgery and the postponement of the KCH. (It's from the longer article in the KCH thread)
    Those issues date back to the 1980s, when Frey spoke about the damage he believed he had done to his body during the band’s heyday, when drugs and alcohol flowed freely.

I've always seen/heard Glenn attribute his problems to drugs until that article.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

I expect he's been given different explanations by his doctors over the years. It may be that initially they put it down to an unhealthy lifestyle but later looked at his family's medical history. There might be a link with his RA.

Meanwhile, we should all eat our wholegrains and fibrous vegetables!

Well, I've recently been told that I have a mild case of diverticulitis. My doctor says it's due to lack of fiber. I have no intestinal issues, but I just had a kidney stone blasted.

As for Glenns quote, maybe he just was saying he wasn't living such a healthy lifestyle because he was asked about it & had to reply. I mean who wants to discuss their colon problems with the press, or anyone for that matter????
    An unhealthy lifestyle can be the cause of any number of problems
    I think the intestinal issue is something else & unrelated to diverticulitis, but I'm no gastro MD, LOL

In any case I hope he is doing better. Don't think he's been doing drugs for many years now, so the recent problems aren't from burgers, broads, blow or whatever he said there. Just hope the surgery is a success, & he gets well.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I wonder if we will get a health update from Glenn's assistant, like we did for Timothy?

I've been wondering the same thing...Hopefully we will hear something....I wonder if the operation has taken place already...I read somewhere only in December??

Stuck on the Border

It's possible we may hear about it from Jack Tempchin's Facebook page. Sadly Glenn's own page is lifeless for the most part. The page didn't even post anything itself. Neither did his fellow band members' pages. I was surprised that Joe who is the only one of them to apparently show any interest in FB didn't post anything.