Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Randy's Performance @ The Capital Centre 1977

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Randy's Performance @ The Capital Centre 1977

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    The irony was that the Eagles had to retire this popular song when Randy left/was fired, as Timmy wouldn't sing it.

I wonder if Randy would have preferred singing "Try and Love Again." We'll never know I suppose, unless Joe can shed some light with his memoirs.
    Randy wasn't fired (not even Felder claims this. He left after his 'dispute' with Glenn, true, but he was not fired. They tried to persuade him to stay). They started playing the song again in 2001. You can call this nitpicking if you like but the song was played by them for 14 years after they reformed.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-28-2016 at 07:18 PM.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Did the whole band try to persuade Randy to stay, or just Joe and Felder? I guess different versions have been put forth, like Rashomon. Randy said he apologized to Glenn the day after their fracas in Knoxville but Glenn refused to accept his apology.

Stuck on the Border

Eliot states that he left after the tour ended. Meisner says nobody was talking to him. Felder claims he & Joe tried to persuade Randy not to leave BEFORE the fight with Glenn.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Timmy wouldn't sing it.
    Do we have a source for this, NMB? Upon being invited to join the Eagles, it seems like Timothy would have done anything Glenn and Don asked of him. I think THEY didn't want him to sing it, because they were protective of him AND they didn't want inevitable comparisons to Randy, singing his signature song, just after he left the band. Of course nobody would sing it like Randy did. But I've never heard that TBS refused to sing it...

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Has TBS ever sung TITTL? Anywhere?

EDIT: I don't mean co-singing it with Richard Marx & Randy - I mean taking the lead.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I had always heard that Timothy declined to sing it because "it's Randy's song."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I had always heard that Timothy declined to sing it because "it's Randy's song."
    This is what I've heard too.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Out on the Border

I read this somewhere too, but to save my life I couldn't remember where. Who knows if it's true or not.

I believe Timothy could totally do it justice but it wouldn't be the same, any more than Randy doing 'I Can't Tell You Why' - IMO, they're signature songs and simply couldn't be as magical sung by another artist. I loved Glenn and I miss Glenn but his TITTL never did much for me for this very reason. JMHO - hold your fire, please.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I'm aware that Tim didn't sing TITTL as it was Randy's song, but I wondered if there was an exception sometime. For some reason. It seems not.

Banned

I'm sure Randy doesn't hold any grudges now but he was very angry with Walsh and Felder when he left the Eagles.
    Apparently, during the recording of Hotel California, Joe, Don and Randy decided to abandon Frey and Henley and form a separate band. After the incredible success of the album, after it was released, the two guitarists had second thoughts. They abandoned Randy and remained with Frey and Henley.

The Eagles were going to release Try And Love Again as a fourth single from Hotel California, to appease Randy but they couldn't convince him to stay.

I bet Randy has sang Take It To The limit at almost every show he's played since leaving the Eagles.

During the Hotel California tour, the Eagles occasionally performed Take It To The Limit, plus a few other ballads, with a 40 piece string orchestra. That must have been some audio /visual spectacle.