Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Randy's Performance @ The Capital Centre 1977

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Randy's Performance @ The Capital Centre 1977

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968 View Post

I agree with you, except that I don't think Frey should have performed the song. That's Meisner's song, he sung it so well that he will always own it, so it's best leave it to him. I completely respect Timmy for the way he went about making his own way in the band. He's a class act, in my opinion.

But Frey had a point. TITTL is also my favorite. If I went to see them live and Meisner didn't sing it, I know that I'd be really disappointed. I'm not sure if Meisner had a problem with the whole song or just that massive high note at the end. I wish I knew why they didn't just drop the key like he did in his solo career.

Meisner strikes me as a modest person, but I'll bet he's also stubborn as hell. Granted, I don't know that for a fact, but that's the vibe I get from him. It's always the quiet ones you have to watch. LOL

I wish that he was still singing.

*All of this is only my opinion.
    Glenn wrote the music for TITTL so in my view it was as much 'his' song as it was Meisner's. He had every right to sing it - far more so than Tim did, the person so many think should have sung it.

Border Desperado

I remember hearing Glenn say that in Japan they would just go crazy when Randy hit that note.

I just ran across this tonight. It's a sweet version and so good to see Randy singing. This is a Poco reunion for Farm Aid in 90, I think. Most people have to make adjustments in key as they age., but it was still nice to see Randy performing and pretty healthy. Felder said he was the sweetest man you could ever work with.

You know what makes me mad.. The 77 Cap Center TITTL is blocked on You Tube! Grrrrr. Guess I will have to buy that live Dvd.

https://youtu.be/IqpJnvlO3TE

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

All I can say is that while Randy's original version is my favorite, I am so glad that the band resumed performing the song. As has been stated, the song is one of the band's most well-loved songs and the fans wanted to hear it. At every show I ever attended, it was always a highlight often receiving a standing ovation. I'm sure that's why Glenn continued to perform it, and rightfully so, IMO. And as an aside, I've seen Glenn perform an electric version of the song in some of his solo shows that was fantastic - I preferred it to the acoustic version that he performed in Eagles shows.

As far as Randy, he does come across as a sweet and even-tempered man. But, it is pretty well documented that alcohol and/or drug abuse changed his demeanor as is often the case. So, I'm sure things were much more volatile in the band whenever they were under the influence.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Randy, like all songwriters, appreciates when people perform his song, as they get performance royalties. Didn't he ask the Eagles in the 90s to put the song in their setlist?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Randy, like all songwriters, appreciates when people perform his song, as they get performance royalties. Didn't he ask the Eagles in the 90s to put the song in their setlist?
    Indeed. If the song is "respectfully" put aside, Randy gets no income from it, whereas he has received royalties from Glenn singing it in concert and in the recordings of the Millenium Show and Farewell 1.

Point well made. People who wish that the song had never been performed after Randy left are inadvertently wishing away a major source of his income. The band was helping Randy by performing it. Every single time they did so, money went into his pocket.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Well even if he wasn't getting income from To the limit live he still gets royalties form album sales before long run both performance and songwriting. Especially Their Greatest Hits Vol 1.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Very good point about Randy making money from it every time it is performed. And being one of their biggest hits, fans want to hear it. Randy or Glenn. When Randy quit, it's only fitting that Glenn do it. I'm so glad he did as it's one of my favorites too. And at the shows I've been to, it's a huge crowd pleaser!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

It was one of the highlights of the show I saw in 2014.

Randy's 1977 Capital Center performance is the masterpiece. I always liked the song and had the record when it originally was released. Not until HOTE had I heard or seen a live version. I was totally mesmerized/blown away by this performance.
    That performance in HOTE is what led me to research Randy and that's how I found this board.
    Joe Walsh was correct when he said that Randy never knew how great he was.