Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ELO

Default Re: ELO/Eagles

I'm really good at this stuff however, the entire time I'm listening to the music, barely paying attention to the lyrics.

ELO is one of my favorite bands ever, definitely Top 8... It was nice to hear 70's music with violins, etc.. Also, if you like that stuff, check out pre-ELO - "THE MOVE" - Jeff and Roy Wood play every instrument except drums, which of course are played by Bev.

Does anyone know why Jeff won't have any violins? If I had to guess, I'd say it's because he wants to play every instrument, which I admire, it's what I do. A part of me might think he doesn't wanna sound like a "gimmick" which I hope isn't the case.

Stuck on the Border

He may not have any on the album but he certainly did in the Hyde Park show.

We may have to start an ELO topic. I love them; always have.

Stuck on the Border

Maybe this thread could be moved to the other section and the title changed to just "ELO". I love ELO too. As for The Move, one of my favorite songs ever is Jeff's "What?"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: ELO

Done Toni!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Even casual fans should try & watch the Hyde Park show. It was beyond joyous. Jeff & Richard Tandy are legends. The songs just had people dancing & singing along. We also have the recent BBC show but haven't watched it yet.

Here is a wonderful review of a show in New York from Rolling Stone of all places:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...years-20151121

My top 10:

1. Turn To Stone
    2. Don't Bring Me Down
    3. Do Ya (which they didn't play; it was a Move song first, I think)
    4. Livin' Thing
    5. Strange Magic
    6. Can't Get It Out Of My Head
    7. Rockaria!
    8. Evil Woman
    9. Across The Border
    10. Danger Ahead

While I know that Mr Blue Sky is worshipped in the UK (especially by Jeff's fellow Birmingham City supporters) it doesn't make my top 10 & neither does Sweet Talkin' Woman.

Favourite albums:

A New World Record
    Out Of The Blue
    Secret Messages
    Time

I had Discovery on LP but never got the CD. I don't have the earlier albums like Face The Music but I will have Alone In The Universe for Christmas.

I also recommend Jeff's solo albums Armchair Theatre & Long Wave, which is his After Hours, in a way.

And now that we have the thread here is the great man with some guy:

Stuck on the Border

The Hyde Park show was great in itself, but I also loved it because there are so many people thinking that the band that goes around the world singing Jeff's songs is actually ELO. The band is, of course, The Orchestra (Former members of ELO and ELO 2). There is one member in the band who was a member of ELO (the violinist) and another member who pretends to have been a member of ELO although he never was. When the guitarist mentions the band on his blog, he calls it "The Orchestra (Former ELO members)", omitting the "ELO 2". He once posted a review of his solo CD or something, where the writer wrote: "member of ELO (aka "The orchestra"), and he didn't bother to point out the lie.

There are so many people who went and will go to see The Orchestra (Former.......) and thought they saw ELO. One such person is close to a relative of mine, and he thought that they were old ELO members, because they had grey hair and one of them was in a very bad shape (he was recovering from an illness). Old and grey - therefore genuine ELO members! Also, there are SO many promoters around the world who advertise the band as "Electric Light Orchestra". Therefore promoters (and to a lesser extent the band) create false memories for them. "I once saw ELO!"

So, as much as I love Jeff doing ELO stuff for the music's stake, I also hope that it makes at least some people realize that the forgery touring around the world is not ELO. I don't think it's a bad thing to keep ELO music alive, but to try your best to convince people that you're connected to the real thing is so lame.

I saw "The Orchestra" open for Alan Parsons a couple of years ago.

You know that violin played was killed by a barrel of hay...

Out on the Border

I'm seeing ELO in London next month.

I listened to their latest album.. I only liked one song.

"When The Night Comes"

I really wish they'd insert some violins for once!

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

VH1 showed the Hyde Park concert on Saturday night - it was great! Better sound-wise than a 1978 concert (DVD) I saw from the Out of the Blue era, though I really loved Bev Bevan as a drummer - there was something exciting about his playing.

You can also see (and hear) a very young Sharon Osborne on the '78 DVD; I think her dad managed the band. She looked completely different but her voice gave her away.