Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: America

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: America

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I started Dan Peek's autobiography today and am already halfway through. He was so funny and smart. There's a moderate amount of Eagles-related content, as the two bands shared management for a time. Glenn was Dan's favorite, and is described as down to earth and earthy. Peek's amusing discomfort at the Geffen home's naked pool parties is a hoot (not that I blame him a bit).
    It's also interesting to read about the complex relationship between the America guys. At one point, Dan and Dewey felt they had to bring the too-confident Gerry down a few pegs. The psychological torture went on for some time, until a desperate Gerry pleaded for acceptance. "If he was a girl, he probably would have developed an eating disorder."
    An that's enough for me to want to read the book. It must be the "naked pool parties".

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

LOL. He tried not to look at people, but simply stated that there was good naked (Joni Mitchell) and bad naked (Elton John).

You also get some insider bitchiness, like who was mean and insecure when their opening act did too well (Cat Stevens). It's a fun read.

Stuck on the Border

I've got as far as the pool parties. I was surprised about Cat Stevens but maybe Yusef is nicer than "Steve". I read about the opening acts finding that their sound got worse as their set progressed (I think on some guitar forum someone mentioned hearing early Eagles where this happened).

It's a bit of an eye-opener as America looked so young and sweet.

They were babies; Dan was the oldest at 20. It was honest of him to report on how they shed people, like their nice English manager, as they met people who they thought could do more for them and take them to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    They were babies; Dan was the oldest at 20. It was honest of him to report on how they shed people, like their nice English manager, as they met people who they thought could do more for them and take them to the next level.
    They were very young hard to believe they produced such great music at such a tender age.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yikes! I didn't know they were so young!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Almost done with Mr. Peek's book. He has some nice things to say about Joe Walsh (a very kind man with a gentle but magnetic personality; a brilliant musician - we knew that last bit!) and goes on at some length about how America saved the Eagles careers by making the Desperado album an eventual success. The guys in America thought the album was genius and were dismayed by the chilly reception it received from fans and critics. So they made sure to play the album over the P.A. before every America concert, thus exposing a million or so rock fans to the album. Mr. Peek not only believed this, but was miffed that they never received thanks or credit for helping their fellow golden boys of California rock.

Despite that lapse in judgment, he really comes across as a charming guy and I'm sad he passed so relatively young. I'm also sorry that he didn't have an editor - it's a self-published book and chock full of punctuation errors. Yes, I know I'm uptight but when a writer has no grasp on how to use the apostrophe, it's distracting and detracts from what is otherwise an interesting tale.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Interesting, NMB! I had never heard that before! How generous of them!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Dewey celebrated his 64th birthday on January 19th and paid tribute to Glenn at a concert that night: http://www.villages-news.com/america...at-the-sharon/

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Another group that didn't really have a whole lot beyond their hits, though they did do the first hit version of "Muskrat Love," later a big hit for Captain & Tennille. They also did a cover of the Mama's and Papa's song "California Dreamin'."

Rating their five hits:

1. Sister Golden Hair
    2. Lonely People
    3. Ventura Highway
    4. Tin Man
    5. A Horse With No Name
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney