Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Our message board turns 10!

Default Our message board turns 10!

Well, it's the board's birthday again! On Dec. 15, 2005, I created Flip City, a private message board for Glenn Frey fans attached to Glenn Frey Online. Then, a year later, Flip City became the Border, expanding to be a public message board for all the Eagles. We had just a handful of members at first, and we were perfectly fine with that. Slowly but surely, however, it began to grow.... and here we are!

I can't believe it's been 10 years. It sure doesn't seem like it. Thanks to everyone who posts here - you make us what we are! As I've said before, without you this place would be nothing but an empty shell. Thanks again!

Here's to 10 more!

For fun, I've reverted our forum's style back to how it was then. In 2005, there were no style choices - it was just Dark Hue. The special banner and the blue style is just for today, though!

Here is an image of Glenn Frey Online's homepage from 2006 a few months after it opened in November 2005 (it's the earliest image of the site I could find). It has the link to Flip City (none of the other sites existed at this time):

Here's what the original board looked like - this is the first thread:

And here's a list of our first members, a few of which are still here!

We'll be adding a few things throughout the day to celebrate, so keep checking back!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Our message board turns 10!

Okay it's time to take The Border Challenge to test your knowledge about the board. I’ll leave these up throughout today to give everyone a chance to take the challenge, and then post the answers tomorrow. Feel free to explore the board, especially the Border Patrol and Border News forums, or use the search feature to find the answers. Good luck and have fun!

1. How many posts does it take for a member to become a Border Desperado?

a.) 100
      b.) 250
      c.) 500
      d.) 1000

2. What movie does the board’s original name ‘Flip City’ come from?

a.) Back to the Future
      b.) Beverly Hills Cop
      c.) Ghostbusters II
      d.) Fast Times at Ridgemont High

3. What date was the Eagles Online Central website opened?

a.) November 2006
      b.) July 2007
      c.) October 2007
      d.) December 2007

4. What concert inspired sodascouts to become a hardcore Eagles fan?

a.) Party of Two Show, Aspen, CO
      b.) Eagles Farewell I Show, Sacramento, CA
      c.) Glenn Frey Solo Show, Royal Oaks, MI
      d.) Stevie Nicks and Don Henley Two Voices Show, Chicago, IL

5. What is the acceptable size for an avatar on The Border?

a.) 100px x 175px
      b.) 150px x 200px
      c.) 150px x 150px
      d.) 200px x 500px

6. How many members did The Border have at the end of its first year after becoming a public board?

a.) 27
      b.) 76
      c.) 103
      d.) 158

7. What album was used in the first ever Border Survivor Game?

a.) Eagles
      b.) One of These Nights
      c.) Hotel California
      d.) The Long Run

8. What is the only Survivor Game to date that was played using double elimination?

a.) Farewell I DVD
      b.) Long Road Out of Eden
      c.) All Star Survivor
      d.) The Very Best of the Eagles

9. How can you skip to the first unread post in a thread?

a.) Click ‘Last Page’ for the thread
      b.) Click the thread title
      c.) Click the icon immediately to the left of the thread title
      d.) Click the poster’s name

10. What song does the acronym IDWTHAM stand for?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Happy Birthday to the Border and Congratulations to Soda for starting it all off. To think how many friends I have made and how many wonderful experiences I have had directly as a result of finding this website and joining the Border. I was not there at the satrt, but I think I was the 38th member to join early in 2007. It has been wonderful to see he Border go from strength to strength. A BIG thank you to Soda for all she has done for the Border from its inception.

Lets drink to many many more years of Eagles, Frindship and the Border
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Congratulations to the board on our 10th Anniversary.

I say pretty much the same thing every year on this day, but that’s because it is true and comes straight from the heart. This is a great community for Eagles fans to have fun and get information about America's greatest band.

I have been around from the beginning, so I know all about the endless hours that Nancy spends behind the scenes to make The Border and the entire Eagles Online Central network the great sites that they are. I am very grateful to her for it and very proud to be a part of these sites in some small way.

But as she said, the hard work would be all for naught if not for all of the members who come here to post and share their knowledge about the band. Thanks to everyone who contributes information and/or donates money and time to make this such an enjoyable, fun, and enlightening place to visit. I have been privileged to have met quite a few Borderers and hope to meet more of you in the future.

Here's to more years of continued success for the band and The Border!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Congrats on 10 years of the Border Thanks for all you've done on this site, Soda! . It's a great place to talk about one of the best bands to ever exist!

Soda, you created Flip City on my parents' 20th wedding anniversary.

I did a double take when I saw the change in background. I have it set to The Long Run because it is the best option for my phone(text shows up best). I do like the retro (original) dark hue.

I've only been a member for about 7 months of these 10 years, but I love this site and its members. It's the first site I visit when I wake up every morning.(heck, I spent most of last night on here since I couldn't sleep.) I always enjoy myself here. I can't say anything about seeing shows or meeting fellow borderers, but hopefully in the future I can.

I find it hard to see Dreamer without her trademark Smokin' Hot avatar. It just doesn't look right.

here's to 10 more years at least!
    Last edited by AlreadyGone95; 12-15-2015 at 02:24 PM.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I also thought it might be a good idea to modify some of those old calendar wallpapers (some of you may remember them) to regular wallpapers. Here's one made from a History of the Eagles screenshot (click on the image to access the wallpaper, according to your screen's resolution):

Full screen ( 1024x768 ):

Wide screen ( 1366x768 ):

Enjoy!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Congrats from me as well, Soda! I've been here since very early on and have enjoyed it so much! Your knowledge of all things Eagles boggles my mind with you being such a youngster! You are close to my daughter's age, so I'm still amazed that you are such a huge fan!

I will never forget you coming all the way from Tennessee to meet me, a complete stranger, and share watching the History of the Eagles the night of it's very first airing! You crazy girl! I'm still shaking my head!

Thank you for your friendship and for creating this amazing site and keeping on top of it all! I hope to meet you again someday! Well done!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Big congratulations, Soda and moderators for a great site! You've done a marvelous job of honoring Eagles, one of America's best, most talented bands ever!
    We've got a terrific group here and I hope it continues for a very long time!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Happy 10th Birthday to the Border!!

I've been a member here for 1.5 years, and I love it! I've learned so much about the Eagles (and their brilliant fans ) since I joined and met up with a few of them

Here's to 10 more years of fun and friendship and thanks for all the hard work Soda and Dreamer !!
    Last edited by L101; 12-15-2015 at 05:01 PM.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Congratulations to the board on our 10th Anniversary.

I say pretty much the same thing every year on this day, but that’s because it is true and comes straight from the heart. This is a great community for Eagles fans to have fun and get information about America's greatest band.

I have been around from the beginning, so I know all about the endless hours that Nancy spends behind the scenes to make The Border and the entire Eagles Online Central network the great sites that they are. I am very grateful to her for it and very proud to be a part of these sites in some small way.

But as she said, the hard work would be all for naught if not for all of the members who come here to post and share their knowledge about the band. Thanks to everyone who contributes information and/or donates money and time to make this such an enjoyable, fun, and enlightening place to visit. I have been privileged to have met quite a few Borderers and hope to meet more of you in the future.

Here's to more years of continued success for the band and The Border!!!

I think it's best for me to echo Dreamer here as I have also been around from the beginning (how interesting to see what my avatar was then; I might wheel it out soon).

It's been an honour & a privilege & congratulations to you Nancy & to Kay as well for all the work you have done over the years.

BTW Soda that is a great idea about converting some of the old calendar pages to wallpapers. There were some I wanted to keep at the time they were made.