Page 21 of 92 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Glenn Frey has died

Before Monday, what I wanted to hear was stories about Glenn from the people who knew him and that still holds true. I'm sure everyone has checked the Facebook posts by Jack Tempchin, JD Souther and Henry Diltz and Henry mentioned David Spero (Joe's former manager).
    https://www.facebook.com/david.spero.9?hc_location=ufi
    It doesn't just have stories from Spero - other people have used it as a place to tell their own stories of Glenn.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 01-20-2016 at 07:01 AM.

I think it's natural for all of to be hit hard by this, Glenn wasnt that old and he had these problems before, I also don't think he looked that bad. Its crazy stars of the 70s are dying while a lot of 60s artists who look in worse shape are still around. It's a tragic loss, I saw the news pop up on the sidebar of an article while I was researching Dale Griffin's death, actually had just written a blogpost about how this awful week had come to a close with Griffins' death when I got the news,like everyone i laughed in disbelief for a brief second but then immediately knew this wasnt a hoax.

I've been in a funk since it began, Glenn was my hero i listen to home everyday and that included Monday before I got the news. Been listening to his solo songs alot remembering how underrated song like lovers moon and i got love were. In England there arent as many irbutes or artcles as Bowies but I have a read a whole host of new quotes I never knew existed that he had said. I also recommend the detailed article on his Detroit days it's nice to know all these years what his background was as I always felt he wasnt an open book like Henley.

It still hasnt set in, probably because last week when Bowie died and my Dad sent me a email detailing his fond memories of Bowie I actually thought of glenn, my musical hero and how hopefully I wouldn't have to deal with that too soon. I can't believe the unbelievable odds that a week later what I feared most would come true and still walking around in a form of shock.

I'll heal through his music and the tributes and the great community here on the Border. So Thank you lot

My Glenn quote would be the line from New Kid in Town

'I Don't Want to Hear It'
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

I haven't been very active here lately...tried to come on Monday, but the site wasn't working at that point. But you guys are one of the first I thought of after Glenn and his family.

I am also a Bowie fan, so I was (am) still reeling from his loss when I heard about Glenn and I immediately burst into full on sobbing tears for a good long while and periodically on and off. I just can't handle all of these deaths. I've been fortunate thus far not to lose anyone close to me yet, but I don't know how I will be able to handle it when I do if I am having a hard time with this.
    I knew Glenn was sick and had been very worried since seeing a cryptic post on Deacon's Instagram 6 weeks ago (I am friends with him and Otis on there), but I was hoping that my fears would be unfounded and that he was going to pull through. I was still completely stunned when I heard. My heart hurts.
    He had seemed so healthy and lively. So much passion and zest for life, music and family. So did David Bowie...right up til the end. Death is so cruel. It felt like these guys were going to LIVE FOREVER. In a way, they will...

I've just finished reading all of your sad, but lovely posts. Tears are streaming down my face. I can't sleep...have an Eagles dvd on in the background.

Like some have said, I'm not going to apologize for posting a lot of tributes on my facebook/instagram/twitter... this is my way of coping. If I lose "friends" then they weren't really friends.

Glenn is what brought me here to meet all of you lovely people. The Eagles really were part of the soundtrack of my life. Without Glenn, there is no more Eagles. This is the end of an era. I wanna put everyone else in a protective bubble! I don't know how much more we can take.

If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    I think it's natural for all of to be hit hard by this, Glenn wasnt that old and he had these problems before, I also don't think he looked that bad. Its crazy stars of the 70s are dying while a lot of 60s artists who look in worse shape are still around. It's a tragic loss, I saw the news pop up on the sidebar of an article while I was researching Dale Griffin's death, actually had just written a blogpost about how this awful week had come to a close with Griffins' death when I got the news,like everyone i laughed in disbelief for a brief second but then immediately knew this wasnt a hoax.

I've been in a funk since it began, Glenn was my hero i listen to home everyday and that included Monday before I got the news. Been listening to his solo songs alot remembering how underrated song like lovers moon and i got love were. In England there arent as many irbutes or artcles as Bowies but I have a read a whole host of new quotes I never knew existed that he had said. I also recommend the detailed article on his Detroit days it's nice to know all these years what his background was as I always felt he wasnt an open book like Henley.

It still hasnt set in, probably because last week when Bowie died and my Dad sent me a email detailing his fond memories of Bowie I actually thought of glenn, my musical hero and how hopefully I wouldn't have to deal with that too soon. I can't believe the unbelievable odds that a week later what I feared most would come true and still walking around in a form of shock.

I'll heal through his music and the tributes and the great community here on the Border. So Thank you lot

My Glenn quote would be the line from New Kid in Town

'I Don't Want to Hear It'

I have been thinking the same thing! about how people who seem to be in worse shape are not the ones dying. not that I want anyone to die!

And yeah I was also hit hard by Bowie's death, and I thought to myself..."Glenn, please please please don't be next" ...knowing that Glenn was sick and having been worried about him... ugh... it's all so overwhelming and makes me feel sick.
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEaglesBand View Post

Having had a night here (in NYC coincidentally) to reflect on the passing of Glenn Frey, my musical role model, and fielding the various texts, notes, and calls from shocked and saddened friends, I feel infinite loss and sadness but also tremendous gratitude.

The Eagles were the defining group of my youth, when my musical sensibilities were developing. Glenn Frey's cool, relaxed, semi-country way of singing those wonderfully accessible melodies and themes combined with the unbeatable harmonies just grabbed ahold of me and became the sound track of my life. I remember copying his lead to Witchy Woman note for note as maybe the first guitar lead I ever played.

I have played the Eagles' songs throughout the years in so many places and variations I can't even remember, and of course most special in the last 6 years as part of the Alter Eagles.

Having had the honor of paying tribute to Glenn Frey and the music of the Eagles all these years, how can I feel anything other than intense gratitude to him for what his contribution has meant in my life and those of my bandmates? What a sad loss and way, way too soon.

RIP, prayers and Godspeed Glenn Frey. Thank you for all you gave us and for inspiring so many, including a 12 year old boy in Ruskin, Florida trying to find his own voice
    Thanks for your tribute. Will catch up with next time you come to the Beaverwood. Perhaps you could play 'Hole in the World' for Glenn. I wanted to post that here but not available on YT.

As predicted, broke down when I had to tell my Dad - Glenn was always his favourite.

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014...-casanova.html

Border Troubadour

Don't know what to say, T&H except that your tribute above was really lovely.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty&Hot View Post
    I am also a Bowie fan, so I was (am) still reeling from his loss when I heard about Glenn and I immediately burst into full on sobbing tears for a good long while and periodically on and off.

Thanks for those thoughts, T&H & particularly that last image. Beautiful.

Also a Bowie fan and used to work in Beckenham/Bromley where he lived.

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014...-casanova.html

It has been such a comfort reading everyone's beautiful thoughts and tributes to Glenn. Thank you all.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one feeling this grief, and then somehow feeling silly for all these tears. I didn't know him, so why should I feel this way? But you are all right. I won't feel silly for, or ashamed of, feeling this immense sadness.

The Eagles came into my life 40 years ago, as a 12 year old girl. Their music has been there to give me solace in tough times, and much joy in others. I won't apologize for feeling this grief, and my friends, who know how much their music means to me, have been very supportive and have lent a sympathetic ear.

Besides the shows I was lucky enough to see on the last tour, one of my fondest recent memories is from last year. I went to Hawaii for work, and on the way back, spent 3 nights in the Joshua Tree area with a friend. The last day, we went looking for the spot where they took the cover photos for the first album. I don't think we ever found it, but it was a 72 degree day in early November, and there we were, driving through Joshua Tree, with Take it Easy blasting from the car stereo, singing at the top of our lungs. I smile every time I think of that day.

I went to a concert last night with a friend. I really didn't want to go, but knew somehow that music would make me feel better. And it did. It made me feel alive and happy. Then we came back and periscoped the end of the Springsteen concert in Chicago, because I thought he might play a song for Glenn. When he played that lovely solo version of Take it Easy, the tears came all over again. Two of my musical icons brought together in a beautiful, impossibly sweet and sad moment. All I could think of when everyone held up their phones was "with a billion stars all around". I'd like to think Glenn would have enjoyed that moment.

Sorry to go on, but it is nice to have a place to share all these emotions, with people who really understand, and are feeling them too. My heart goes out to all of you, especially Nancy and all of you who I know loved Glenn so much.

Bless you Glenn. You brought so much light and joy into all of our lives. You will be sorely missed, but always remembered and held in our hearts.

Stuck on the Border

Starting tonight, Tavis Smiley has a two-part tribute to Glenn. It may just be a repeat of his 2012 interview.
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/...ribute-part-1/

After reading several harsh criticisms and comments and chatting with my sister I posted this on Facebook (strong language).

The last few weeks have brought the loss of several creative heroes to many. But in amongst the tributes and obituaries you find the stinging articles, the vitriolic tweets, the harsh criticisms from people who have nothing better to do with their time then be negative and make other people feel negative. If you don't like a band, singer, actor etc move on and find one you do. Constantly being negative does not make for a happy soul. These people who feel they have to share their negative opinions piss me off. Yeah, there are plenty of creative folk I don't like. Do I actively search out things to comment on? No. Do I make sure I share my negativity with random strangers who get joy from their work? No. Will I chat shit down the pub with mates? Yes, because that's where those conversations belong. I'm fed up of negativity. If the losses I have experienced have taught me anything it is that life is too short to be a miserable fuck.