Default Re: Glenn Frey has died

NMB: "You're a sweetie, Brooke. Your husband sounds nice too "

Yes. Wise, too.
    Last edited by LuvTim; 01-20-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Addition

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border

Bruce Springsteen helped me but brought me to the edge. The graphic of Lyin' Eyes with 'hangs her head to cry' almost got me there. I can't get there. What is wrong with me?

Regarding what Toonlass said about the negativity the Guardian ran a typically sneering 'it's time to reassess the Eagles' article & you guessed it, it was bad. And most of the comments were horrible. The Guardian is supposed to be the newspaper which reflects my pollitics, but I find more & more it's a self-parody of self-righteous political correctness.

I'm pleased with Rolling Stone's coverage, though. I don't know if we can expect a cover story especially as I imagine there will be a specia issue for Bowie.

The last time two major rock stars died so close together was when Jimi Hendrix died followed by Janis Joplin.

I'm sorry, everyone. I feel unable to communicate my loss to you. I appreciate all your efforts.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I agree that listening to some of the music can help. I've listened to a fair bit of Eagles music over the last couple of days when I've had time. FWIW my choices have included some which seem particularly moving in these circumstances - songs like My Man, The Sad Café (absolutely loved the tribute from The Troubadour too) and You Are Not Alone. I Dreamed There Was No War also resonated very strongly with me. I must admit I haven't played It's Your World Now, I think that is one that is perhaps a bit too close to home right now. However, I've also listened to and watched a few videos of some of the more uptempo songs. I'm not sure why, but I felt happier when I saw him smiling while singing Take It Easy or rocking out on Out Of Control.

Here's a clip of Glenn from 1985 while acting as guest commentator with Vin Scully. Classic Glenn!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodger...120-story.html
    I just need a little downtime.........

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I know people have posted about not being able to listen to the music or see pics or videos of Glenn, and I thought the same thing, but I did last night and it has helped a lot. Go ahead, you need to.
    It has been hard to listen to any songs of Glenn without wanted to cry. It hit with a bang that Monday night when Hotel California came on the radio and then The Long Run came on the radio as I drove to work. It has been hard. I've been ok today, but of course I would think of Glenn.

I thought I couldn't get through watching HOTE yesterday, but I watch it every day and I didn't want to change that. I watched HOTE last night on Showtime. It was hard.

As I'm writing this, After Hours came on Pandora. This might had been Glenn's last song he wrote before he died. I could be wrong.

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Bruce Springsteen helped me but brought me to the edge. The graphic of Lyin' Eyes with 'hangs her head to cry' almost got me there. I can't get there. What is wrong with me?

Regarding what Toonlass said about the negativity the Guardian ran a typically sneering 'it's time to reassess the Eagles' article & you guessed it, it was bad. And most of the comments were horrible. The Guardian is supposed to be the newspaper which reflects my pollitics, but I find more & more it's a self-parody of self-righteous political correctness.

I'm pleased with Rolling Stone's coverage, though. I don't know if we can expect a cover story especially as I imagine there will be a specia issue for Bowie.

The last time two major rock stars died so close together was when Jimi Hendrix died followed by Janis Joplin.

I'm sorry, everyone. I feel unable to communicate my loss to you. I appreciate all your efforts.
    it hasn't really sunken in yet. which is ok. i'm not 100% there either. it's gonna really hit if there is a memorial of some sort. this definitely made me more sensitive. i see a lot of comments and negative articles posted and i don't say anything. when in reality i want to rip them a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    It was the Guardian article which started me off on my rant Freypower. My sister had read it and was upset and then I read it and along with a few things I've seen over the last few weeks it got me annoyed.

It's weird, the way we're all processing it. My sister was the one who immediately came to check on me when we found out, and her goal was to be calm and collected for me, and she had been completely avoiding Eagles and solo music until just now. (She tweeted about how she'd been avoiding the music until now and that she was ugly crying in her room, hah.)

This has hit me harder than my sister and I had a very strong visceral reaction, however I went straight for the music. It's been playing nonstop on my way to class and throughout the day since Monday. Last night I watched the entirety of Farewell 1 and downloaded a couple bootlegs (ssshhhh don't tell). I almost can't get enough Eagles at this point. Different for everyone, I suppose. It will all "hit us" at some point... though I've done much of my crying already, it still doesn't feel real.

I've been checking this thread nonstop. It's such a great way to start coping, knowing that all of us Borderers are in the same boat. We're here for each other!
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I had a quick look at the stuff on the Guardian website, but couldn't stomach too much of it. The best thing I can say is that the comments there do not reflect what I've read and heard everywhere else. In any case, just look at the tributes from Glenn's fellow musicians, I think that means much more than what anonymous people on a newspaper website say.

Having said that, the comments in the obituary from The Daily Telegraph website are a bit nicer. The obituary itself doesn't really tell us anything new. People like my parents who like the Eagles but don't really know the full story would find it informative though I think. The only really negative thing in the obituary IMO is the mention of Robert Christgau's distaste for the Eagles (something I do not worry about the slightest - my tastes and his are pretty much polar opposites. If you think he's mean about the Eagles try reading some of his progressive rock reviews!), but this is criticised in the comments.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...-obituary.html

FWIW, I bought The Times (of London) today which had a full-page obituary for Glenn. It's fairly similar to the Telegraph one in style, although one thing I did notice is that the 'plaintiff' joke gets a mention. There is also quite a nice colour photograph of Glenn at the Oakland Coliseum in 1977 (at least that's what the caption says, though judging by his appearance it seems correct to me), rather fittingly it shows him playing Old Black.

I think we all coping differently. For me, I was listening to Glenn's and the guys music the day he died. I think I had my Pandora on while on my computer that moment I found out. So I've never stopped listening to their music since I was listening everyday and watched HOTE everyday. I'm surprised I haven't gotten sick and tired of watching it nonstop with no breaks for 2 years now.

I think I'm in denial and hoping this is a bad dream I can wake up from.