Page 81 of 92 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Default Re: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    HH, I too seem to feel it just as keenly today as I did just under six months ago, whenever I think about it. The difference is that lately I don't think about it as much as when it first happened. I still think about him every day, but it used to be almost constant. I'll never forget him, but I know there will come a time when I don't think about him every day anymore. I just don't know when that will be.

I do think he realized his life's dream, though. Yes, there were things he wanted to do that he didn't get a chance to do. However, he lived life to the fullest and he changed the world with his music. When he died, his band was still selling out arenas world-wide FOUR DECADES after they started. On the personal side, he was able to have a loving marriage for 25 years and three beautiful children (although of course we wish they'd had more time together). In that sense, when it came to the things that were most important, he was able to live out his biggest dreams.

I watched a clip from HOTE the other day. It was from '76. Don says "We can't do this forever" and then Glenn acts shocked. "We cant'?" They both laughed... but you know what? He did do it, right up until the end. I celebrate all he accomplished even as I mourn him, and it gives me some comfort.
    I do think that he realized his life's dream -- that being reaching all of us as widely and as profoundly as he did, but I think that he was still a dreamer, still reaching every day and in every way to grow a bit more, to reach a few more people with his music, to score a movie, to complete the Broadway play, to see his kids get married and have children, to squeeze the shit out of all of the days that were left to him. That's what I meant. He did that , and then some, but it breaks my heart that he could not realize all of his dreams. None of us can. That's the goal post and the heart break of life. IMOl

He didn't run out of dreams. He just ran out of time. But he accomplished sooooo much! I think you're right, HH. He never would have stopped dreaming.

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    He didn't run out of dreams. He just ran out of time. But he accomplished sooooo much! I think you're right, HH. He never would have stopped dreaming.
    He was the "man with a plan" from the very start, to the very end. Gotta love that!!

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I agree with what Soda and all of you are saying. He really did live life to the fullest and it's very inspiring to me. It's hard to believe it's been half a year now and I still think about him daily but for me it's more happier memories than sad. Hearing his and the Eagles music unexpectedly brings a smile to my face and lots of good personal memories. Plus, I think with me finally writing the scenes I pictured to his and the Eagles songs since I was little for my next story is helping too. I think he'd be amazed how his music inspired a novel or at least I hope so.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I also go back and forth about this. To paraphrase Don, I do believe that Glenn achieved everything he set out to do, and then some. He did live life to the fullest and I find a lot of comfort in knowing these things.

But, as has been mentioned, he never quit dreaming and it's these unrealized dreams that make me sad. I feel that Glenn, his fans, and the world were deprived of his unfinished business.

I am grateful everyday that we are left with his music.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I think that Glenn accomplished more in his lifetime than most people do in theirs. His name and legacy will live on for a long time. I do wish that he could've accomplished all of his dreams, but unfortunately, everyone eventually runs out of time (to paraphrase the line in my signature). It helps to remember what all he did do.

If there's anything at all positive that I got from Glenn's untimely passing, it was the motivation to accomplish my dreams and goals, like going to college. His death made me fully realize my own mortality. Therefore, I should try to do everything that I want to do, get the most out of everyday, and live life to the fullest!( Like Glenn did) I definitely wish that this could've happened by any other means, but I'm glad that I did realize this and get the motivation I so badly needed.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Wasn't sure which thread to post this in but just saw Sting wrote a new song "50,000" for his upcoming album and he said after Lemmy, David Bowie, Glenn, and Prince all passed away so close together it go him thinking about life and death, and the impact these artists leave on fans and fellow musicians and he wrote the song about it. He talks more about the song in his interview with Rolling Stone here. Hopefully we'll get to hear this soon.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    Wasn't sure which thread to post this in but just saw Sting wrote a new song "50,000" for his upcoming album and he said after Lemmy, David Bowie, Glenn, and Prince all passed away so close together it go him thinking about life and death, and the impact these artists leave on fans and fellow musicians and he wrote the song about it. He talks more about the song in his interview with Rolling Stone here. Hopefully we'll get to hear this soon.
    Thanks for posting that. We do have a thread about the Sting/Gabriel tour but this is really relevant to Glenn.

I love that Sting looked up to Glenn. His music was important to so many different types of people.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

The last Eagles show... A year ago today.

I had a dream last night that Glenn and I were hanging out in Shanghai, of all places. I rescued a younger version of him who had been chained to an exposed set of pipes outside an abandoned building while passed out drunk. He woke up when I found him. Me: "How did this happen?" Glenn: "Don't ask."

Then he was suddenly 80s Glenn. We went on a mission to stop this record store from selling fraudulent memorabilia with fake autographs, a couple of which didn't even have his name spelled right. Glenn pointed one out to me that said "Drew Frey." "How do you feel about that, Drew?" I joked. He laughed. We found a copy of Soul Searchin' and he told me that a an Asian girl had inspired one of his songs on Soul Searchin'.

Then we had a high-speed car chase. We successfully escaped although there were a lot of close calls. At one time the car was balancing on two wheels on the side of a bridge. It was like we were flying. I was driving and I was really scared, but we made it! Glenn and I were grinning once we got four wheels on the ground again - it was older Glenn now - and I asked him "How did we survive that?!" He laughed and said, "I knew we would." (My dreams are pretty crazy.)

Some other stuff happened but I don't have a clear memory of it, except that it was at night and involved some one-on-one confrontations. Eventually, we made it back to the record store, villains being rounded up, all was well. Then, before I woke up, I thought "He's dying" and turned around and just saw him through a window as a white shape. The shape was still there but it started to disappear and even before it had completely dissipated I thought "He's gone."

I have had dreams with Glenn every once in a while since his death but this one was pretty intense. As a said elsewhere, maybe I subconsciously remembered the day.

Missing him very much today.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten