Page 14 of 92 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Out on the Border

Default Re: Glenn Frey has died

I have only posted on here a few times but have been a lurker for years, pretty much every day. I have never met any of you, and I never met Glenn, but I definitely have always felt I was among kindred spirits. I am so sad and feel like a part of me is gone, as the Eagles music and Glenn's music in particular have been such a comfort to my soul for so long. (Music is an amazing thing.) I can't begin to imagine what Glenn's family and friends have been through for the past few months and hopefully it will be of some comfort to them that the suffering is over. I honestly feel a bit silly that the death of someone whom I didn't even know is affecting me so, but - it is.

Thanks to all of you out there who have provided me with stories, trivia, laughs and now cries. Rest easy Glenn.

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I can't stop crying. I feel physically ill. I can barely type because my hands are shaking.

I know I'm just a fan and I can only imagine what his family is going through, but my heart is broken and it hurts. It hurts bad.
    I feel exactly the same.
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.

Stuck on the Border

I suppose I should write something about how I felt yesterday. I was on Facebook at 9 am my time & it was literally the first thing I saw. I froze & became numb. It did not help that the photo they used I don't believe I had ever seen.

I was able to interact with some of my FB friends (thanks to you all & also to those of you who have left comments since, which I haven't yet read. At first I could do nothing. I shared the post. Then I changed my profile photo & wallpaper. Then I posted a couple of very personal memories, from 2011 & 2013, & so it went on. When Rosalind (who is on school holidays) got up I showed her the post & she comforted me. Then Mike rang up. Not much was said. My voice shook, but I stayed calm.

And that's it. I have not shed one tear. Not one. It seems that I can't. I am dreading when the floodgates open & I do cry. But I looked at myself in the mirror & I seem to have aged ten years.

As for the actual details it saddens me even more that he went into hospital in October, spent his birthday & Christmas there, and never came out. I hope he has gone 'far beyond the pain' now. I hope he's at peace.

Of the musicans who have paid tribute the one which surprised me most was David Coverdale - I will have to tell Mike about that. I am grateful that Don Felder made a statement.

For what he did for me & my own boundless gratitude I still have no words, except that some of my thoughts were basic - we will never hear him sing again. There will be no more photos of him.

To Nancy, I want you to know that I share your pain & I know how you feel. I will always be here for you & I must thank you for everything you have done for the Border, for me, for the band & for Glenn.

One more thing: I changed the signature, but not the avatar, because it's so vibrant... and full of life.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-19-2016 at 05:23 PM.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Randy has spoken to the NY Daily News, saying among other things, "I couldn't believe he went so quick. When I heard yesterday, I started crying for a long time. You're like brothers in a band like that. Sometimes we got in arguments, but it was like a marriage, we all loved each other. I sure will miss the guy. He was really fun."

Whole article here: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...2052?cid=bitly
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 01-19-2016 at 05:47 PM.

I broke down in class today. One of the students knew I was a fan (they have no idea how deep it goes because I don't talk about it) and asked "Did you hear about Glenn Frey?" My face crumpled up and the tears flowed. Luckily I got it under control after about a minute but today has been a hard, hard day for many of us.

This world will never be the same now that we have lost Glenn.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Randy hit the nail on the head there I think, that's pretty similar to the thoughts that went through my mind when I first heard. Absolutely lovely to hear that from him so thanks for posting the link, NMB.

It is such a shame that Glenn was not able to receive the Kennedy Center Honors Award. My thoughts are with his family now and of course also with the current and former Eagles members.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I think I've just been kind of stunned by it all. I find tears in my eyes, but I try to ignore them. I'm so sorry Glenn went through such a bad time. And to find out, finally, that he didn't even have the surgery! I so wish they had let us know SOMETHING! It's such a shock. We all thought that no news was good news and that wasn't correct at all! He was very sick and ill all this time! I still wonder how they kept it all so very quiet. It's awful that he got so sick so quickly.

And now, the honors event. They wanted to wait til he recovered so they all could be there. He won't be there.

Oh Glenn, we will all miss you so much. Gone way too young. RIP and thank you so much for being a part of the soundtrack of my life. Your music lives on.

ETA: Great to hear from Randy too.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

I was on the couch and I got an alert that my site had crashed, but it was different this time. It hadn't crashed because of my lame server, but because Glenn Frey Online suddenly had literally thousands, then hundreds of thousands, then millions of hits. I was getting on the phone to the webhost when I got a text from Willie - then a flood more. So awful, so awful, but so good to come here and get comfort.
    You were the first person I thought of.

I had just got done working and was home alone when I had a notification I had been tagged in FB. Brought it up and when I saw what it was, I started shaking and sank into a chair. My first thought was that it was a hoax and I had to Google it. At that point there wasn't much other than the link I had been tagged in. So I attempted to bring up The Border but it wouldn't come up. That's when I sent Nancy the text, but by your response, I wasn't sure if you had heard yet and that really worried me. I'm sorry about that.

When hubby walked in the door 10 minutes later & saw me, he asked what was wrong. When I told him, he just looked at me then said he needed to sit down for a minute and process that. I've made them such a huge part of our lives the last 29 years, he's feeling the loss also.

It's still very overwhelming and I'm not even sure I've completely processed it all yet. Like Dreamer said, I've lost my Mom, my Dad & my brother just a few months ago and this feels as if I've kind of lost another family member. I feel funny saying that to others but I know you all understand.

Even tho I haven't posted up till yesterday for a very long time, I do check in periodically and feel a real kinship with so many of you. I knew that this is where I needed to come once it started sinking in. Again, like I said yesterday, I'm keeping many of you in my thoughts because I know how this must be so hard for you. Nancy, Julie, Kay, Verna, Lisa, Monique, Brooke and several others-- if you just need an ear to listen to, I'm only a IM or FB message away.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

I've always loved their music. and I became a huge fan just recently. I tried to listen to my Eagles Spotify playlist and I couldn't. Felder has posted some pics. it's like i'm trying to not believe its true. but it's truly a stab in the heart. I will miss him terribly.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    You were the first person I thought of.

My first thought was that it was a hoax and I had to Google it.
    Same exact thoughts. My husband said, "Glenn Frey died". No way, this is a hoax, or so I had hoped.