Page 43 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Glenn Frey in the Press - Retro Edition!

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    This article was in the Daily Mail - the writer was obviously a big fan so its nice to get a perspective from someone who understands what the fans are going through.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...le-mortal.html
    That was very nicely written but he over-emphasizes the age thing, the nostalgia factor. I was a child in the seventies, so obviously I'm not listening to the music to reminisce about how great life was when I was six.

Some of the most passionate fans on this board weren't even born back then, so the writer is coming from his own (rather narrow) perspective.

Just my tuppence.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Glenn Frey in the Press - Retro Edition!

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    That was very nicely written but he over-emphasizes the age thing, the nostalgia factor. I was a child in the seventies, so obviously I'm not listening to the music to reminisce about how great life was when I was six.

Some of the most passionate fans on this board weren't even born back then, so the writer is coming from his own (rather narrow) perspective.

Just my tuppence.

I gotta agree. I'm 20. I have no nostalgia to associate with the 70s, or most anything prior to 2000. It's the music, for me. It what I like, plain and simple. I hate when people assume that us young folk don't care about "old" music, or if we do, it's to be "cool". (It's cool to like The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin etc if you're my age). It's never been like that for me.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Glenn Frey has died

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    Its great seeing all these posts of people feeling as blue as I do, been emailing my mum some thoughts on why his music and his death affects me and she get's it. I feel Glenn is so misunderstood, on Monday Night after a long day I got the news I thought there was a plus side that he would get the appreciation he deserved, he seemed to be too easily underestimated as were the band but I always saw Glenn as the single most underrated singer in Classic Rock. All the posts list him just as a guitarist in the main headlines, which he was but it takes away abit form the fact he sang and wrote more songs than the others. Heneley's tribute about being the engine of the band was right on the money, it's shame all these top ten and top five lists are still mostly his big hit singles rather than rediscovering the other album cuts, surprised there hasn't been a solo top 10. If there was I would probably have it this way;

1.The one you love
    2. Part of you Part of me
    3. Let's Go Home
    4. Lover's Moon
    5. Sexy Girl
    6. Smuggler's Blues
    7. Let's Pretend we're Still in Love
    8. Some Kind of Blue
    9. I got Love
    10. That Girl

Ah well just gripes sorry to be negative, today is the first day I feel more happy hearing his music, losing that sullen feeling, read a few good articles about people who knew as opposed to all the backhanded criticisms some of these obituary articles are.

Got a whole bunch of Glenn song title to describe my feelings now as well;

I'm Some Kind of Blue without Glenn
    Keep on singing for the sake of a song after Glenn is gone etc.
    While I agree with this, particularly the part about how underrated he was as a singer, it's something we on The Border can possibly deal with in another thread about his legacy. I still don't know what I think about Rolling Stone giving a list of his 20 finest songs, a couple of which he didn't sing lead on.

The only problem with Gone But Not Forgotten is it instantly remeinded me of Neil Young's My My, Hey, Hey, which of course also says 'it's better to burn out than it is to rust'. I think In Memoriam would have been more straightforward, however I bow to the decision.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
    When I heard that Glenn had passed away I didn't want to believe it. The Eagles have been my favorite band for the past 42 years, since I was 12 years old. Over the years I have seen over 40 Eagles shows (either the band or individually), and it has been 2 years since I've seen the band so I was planning on getting in another Eagles concert this year for sure, I needed another fix! I just assumed they'd be touring. But now this....it means the Eagles as a band have come to an end. I was thinking to myself, if only they could have gone on a few more years....but after hearing about Glenn's physical challenges....I'm thinking to myself, how lucky and grateful we all should be that they were able to go on as long as they did. I have a newfound respect for Glenn. May he rest in peace.
    Thank you for this, Woodstock! I'm a few years older than you and haven't had the opportunity to see them nearly this many times, but my love of the band and Glenn is no less! Your last words here sum up how I feel so well!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I enjoyed OTB74's post including the list. I know for me my mind has been constantly spinning this week thinking about all things Glenn and random things to share, which I will at some point.

And, Greg, bless you for getting through your show. I don't know how you managed, but I admire your courage. It was probably very cathartic for both you and your audience.

I am very anxious to hear about the memorial service being planned for Glenn as well. If it is a public service, I am definitely planning to go.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

As I got into my car I hear the DJ saying , " WLS Chicago remembers Glenn Frey. ". Then they played Take It Easy.. I could only think about Glenn in the early 70s, so young and carefree whole life ahead of him. He did it, he lived the dream. I think this is the most I've cried even though all week I've been walking around like a zombie and unable to concentrate on anything else . through my sadness I am so happy that he was able to achieve everything he had set out to do and more .

ETA: I changed the station afterwards and heard Jimmy Buffett who I thought gave a lovely tribute to Glenn. Then I heard Still the Same by Bob Seger. If that song truly was about Glenn I have to say I never got the sour feel that some people did... To me it was always a casual see you later buddy, until next time, we don't have to have some dramatic goodbye. my ride home ended on the original station and they were playing Tequila Sunrise... said they would be honoring the music of Glenn Frey in the Eagles all weekend. To say the least it was a therapeutic drive home .
    Last edited by luvthelighthouse; 01-22-2016 at 07:39 PM.

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

Default Re: Glenn Frey has died

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I got an email alert from spotify that said No Fun Aloud by Glenn Frey is now available. It's the only album of his solo career that wasn't on there previously. I'm happy that it is available now, but there's no way that I can listen to it.
    I was excited about this too because I own his records only on vinyl and it's obviously nice to have portable versions of it!

I'm sorry to hear that other people are having such a hard time with this too. It certainly helps if you have someone supportive in your life, but if not these online communities are helping tremendously to let us all know we are not alone. My fiance and friends are supportive but at the same time don't really get it, and I'm sure are getting really tired of hearing me talk about it and be sad about it.

Glad you're okay, Soda!

I haven't been very functional or productive at all. I'm having a hard time focusing on anything other than watching videos and reading articles about it.
    I haven't even wanted to hang out with friends right now because I just want to mourn in my own way watching videos and listening to music while having a drink to relax. I know it's sad, but it's comforting and in some ways makes me happy.
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I'm the same way Tiffany!!! I've been wanting to listen to Glenn and the Eagles soooo much that I'm having major withdrawls at work!!! Crying and mourning!! Glenn means the world to me and a part of me for sure!! Love him soo much!!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Out on the Border WitchyWoman92's Avatar

I'm still in the middle of reading this topic and have gained a lot of comfort from the fact that other people love the band as much as I do and are feeling the same things I am. I recently joined the forum and have loved the Eagles since I don't even know when. I think I heard either "Witchy Woman" or "One of These Nights" on a road trip to South Carolina with my mom in 2009.

It's only January 22nd and Glenn's death still hurts me a lot. I heard about it by browsing Facebook on my phone when I saw something on my feed about Glenn's passing. The first article I read was by TMZ so I was hoping and praying it was a hoax. When I found out it was all too painfully true I started crying so much. From everything I've read it sounded like he must have been suffering a lot near the end of his life and although I miss him I'm glad he's no longer in any pain. The first time I saw the Eagles was July 16, 2013 in Philadelphia. Never in a million years would I have imagined that the first time I would ever see the band live would turn out to be the last time.
    Last edited by WitchyWoman92; 01-23-2016 at 01:28 AM.

all I can think of is how horrible Christmas was for Glenn and his family