Page 17 of 92 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Default Re: Glenn Frey has died

Guys, no offense, but of all time and places, I don't think this is the time or place to turn this into a Glenn vs Don F argument.

I felt Don's comment was genuine and I don't know why anyone wouldn't take it as such. Fact is - they had their disagreements but they had a lot of history together and to think that Don disliked Glenn enough to make up a false statement about Glenn's passing is wrong IMO. I also think the comments towards Frey by Felder's fanbase is childish, rude, and just plain wrong. Nor do I think Felder will ever be asked to rejoin any sort of band. Not only would Don Henley respect Glenn's wishes but he isn't much of a Felder fan himself.

So I didn't find Don F's comments over the top or fake. I saw them as a guy who put differences aside and remembered the good things about the man who started it all and the good memories they had together over the years. He even posted a collage of photos of them playing together. Don Felder may not be a perfect guy and has said a lot, but the last thing I'd ever think him to be was anything but genuine in what he says good or bad.

The Keith Urban tribute was amazing and made me tear up. The piano was a nice touch, very emotion-filled. KU is one of my top favorite artists and is a true class act.

Gene Simmons, like him or hate him or KISS, is NOT a bad guy. He may be all about money or business, but I have never heard him badmouth someone undeserving or not be anything but a stand up guy. I loved his comments about Glenn and I appreciate that he took the time to do that interview.

Today I'm very sad because of two reasons. The loss of a great musician, and the loss of one of the best bands of all time.

Glenn wasn't my favorite member but it's hit me as if he was. I may have said things against him at times but fact is he was the guy who put this band together and was the driving force. I respected Glenn, and I continue to view him as nothing but an icon and a inspiration to me.

The loss of the Eagles is very sad, and as I said before - I'm very glad to have seen them. I've heard some interviews today with people who said they wish they could have seen the band or had regrets about not seeing them when they had the chance. I feel lucky to have seen them twice and to witness their magic.

If I feel this way, I can only imagine what Glenn's biggest diehard fans feel, and my heart is with you during this time, and certainly his family members.

I feel so lucky to have seen him as many times as I did. People would often kid me about how often I saw Glenn and the Eagles. I only wish it could have been more times.

I'm so glad I went to the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame ceremony and got to see him with Stevie. It was magic. I'm so glad I went to Pebble Beach, to Niagara Falls, to all of it. Some of the most memorable moments of my life were directly a result of Mr. Glenn Frey.

Gosh, to think I only saw Glenn a few months ago for the last time. He seemed so alive. I was positive he would be OK when I heard he had to go to the hospital. I prayed for him just in case, but in my heart I thought I would see him again.

It's very, very hard to come to terms with the fact that he is gone. Coming here and reading these tributes helps, though. It's good to see old faces coming back as well to pay tribute to Glenn.

I too can't listen to music - not just Glenn's music or Eagles music. I can't listen to any music. It's like the joy of music, for now, has been sucked away for me.

Oh, how I adored him! How I will miss him!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Randy has spoken to the NY Daily News, saying among other things, "I couldn't believe he went so quick. When I heard yesterday, I started crying for a long time. You're like brothers in a band like that. Sometimes we got in arguments, but it was like a marriage, we all loved each other. I sure will miss the guy. He was really fun."

Whole article here: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...2052?cid=bitly
    Thanks for that link. I was especially moved by this:

"When Meisner suffered his own medical scare in 2013 and 2014, his Eagles bandmates helped him out financially, he said. 'I aspirated some food into my throat and choked,' he said. "I was in a coma for a little while, too. They paid for everything, me being in the hospital.'

and Randy was invited to the Kennedy Center Honors after all.

"I was going to go to the Kennedy awards and was thinking, 'Man this could be the last time we'll all be together.' Now that really hurts my heart that we couldn't be together one more time," Meisner told The News."

So many people made assumptions about Glenn, assuming the worst, accusing him of not caring about Randy. I hope now they see how wrong they were.

Out on the Border

My biggest gut-kick to this point was pretending that I could actually watch a little of HOTE today. Turned it on and off in less than a minute. However, it was the part where Gov. Jerry Brown was talking about the Eagles being "in the present." First time I watched it, I was so optimistic that the ride would go on for many years. How embarrassingly naive I was to think at the time "I just hope their voices hold up."

So true Ohiocoach. I was so sure we would see them do a residency somewhere. 30 hours ago, my biggest worry was whether the setlist would be shortened to just the "Greatest Hits" or whether they'd keep some rarities in. Now, I'd give anything to just hear them sing live one more time...

Here is a collection of some celebrity tweets about Glenn:

http://q13fox.com/2016/01/19/tribute...es-glenn-frey/

Border Rebel

I didn't find out until this morning. I went out to start my car to warm it up and defrost the windows, and I thought I heard the radio announcer say they'd be playing more Eagles and Glenn Frey songs in tribute. I came back in and googled Glenn Frey. I couldn't believe it. I still can't. Two local radio stations did hour-long tributes with Glenn Frey songs and some of Glenn's lead vocal Eagles songs tonight.

Just in the past few days, I started to really wonder if he wasn't more seriously ill than we originally thought. I think it was because Don H and Joe hadn't announced any more tour dates. Now I see they were doing it out of respect.

It's so very, very sad. I wasn't able to see the Eagles last summer, but in the pictures of the last concerts, he looked so young and vibrant. Way too young to die. I hope he didn't suffer.

My condolences go out to his family, band-mates, fellow Borderers and all the many, many people touched by his life and saddened by his death.

RIP, Glenn. Thanks for all the music that's helped get me through so much of my life. Your legacy will live for a long, long time. Life just won't be the same without you.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I wish more people would realize how selfless Glenn was in the Eagles - how he really cared about what he thought was good for the band. In the latter part of the 70's he sang less and less, gave one of his best guitar solos away, didn't push his ideas on the albums just because they were his. I don't think that's a very common quality in the human race. I don't have many Facebook friends, but I tried to do my share and say this about Glenn to those who care to read my posts. Having said that, I don't think Glenn minds too much even if people still don't realize this stuff. After all, he was a real team player.
    I replied to a friend's Facebook post in almost the same way. I wanted people to know about Glenn's selflessness.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Default Remembering Glenn Frey

From Jack Tempchin:
    "Glenn Frey and I were friends for years before the Eagles. His music plan was simple: He was going to have a band with the best players in the world. And the best singers in the world. And the best songwriters and the best songs in the world. It would be the best in every way and soar high above all others.

Others wish and dream... But Glenn was always willing to do the work that makes dreams come true.

Glenn and I wrote songs together for fourteen years while the Eagles were apart. I will be singing those songs for the rest of my life and always be thinking of all the fun times we had writing them and living our dreams. And I will think of my great friend, a truly "stand up guy" who kept his promises to others and to himself, the strongest minded and the funniest person I ever knew. I will miss him everyday. Love you Glenn, Jack Tempchin "

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

That's one thing that drew me to Glenn, his selflessness. While I was just discovering who he was in May of last year, I discovered all of the quotes from Glenn that Nancy has on GFO. His quotes on being charitable, family, and giving back really moved me. Then I discovered his selflessness within the band, putting the band's best interests ahead of his wants. Having read through most of the old threads about Glenn, I realized how much he actually did care for his fans, how grateful he was to have them throughout his career. Etc
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time