Page 44 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Default Re: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

At least Glenn is in another place where he doesn't hurt anymore!!!! I will miss him soo much and his music is awesome!!! Love Glenn like no one else!!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Just discovered HOTE is on Netflix. Debating on whether to watch it or not though I did add it to my list...

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

I'm just scrolling thru pictures of the band. Maybe trying to grasp everything. But what I keep coming back to is that they just don't look right without Glenn. And every time I try to picture that it's like a kick to the stomach. The Eagles weren't like any other band that can easily go on without a main member. I'm sure he would want that. But it's not possible.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Glenn Frey in the Press - Retro Edition!

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I gotta agree. I'm 20. I have no nostalgia to associate with the 70s, or most anything prior to 2000. It's the music, for me. It what I like, plain and simple. I hate when people assume that us young folk don't care about "old" music, or if we do, it's to be "cool". (It's cool to like The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin etc if you're my age). It's never been like that for me.
    I know exactly what you mean by this. My parents both liked the Eagles back in the 1970s, but my own love for the band was self-initiated. In summer 2013, I got out and listened to their old CD copy of Hotel California and loved it, they had OOTN too and then I went and listened to all the others. As someone born in 1994, there was no nostalgia in it for me, same with Floyd, Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac etc. To me, the 1960s-70s were a golden age for rock 'n' roll and to be honest I think that music now simply cannot match the depth and variety of talent of that era (not that it couldn't do so in the future, I just feel the field is a bit weak now).

Greg, well done on playing your show. I can only imagine how difficult it would have been to keep it together while playing, but I think you'll have probably helped quite a lot of people come to terms with this news. As Glenn himself once said, 'Music is medicine for the soul. It can't hurt, it can only help'.

Regarding the thread title, I think it's a good choice myself. I can understand why it could be associated with Neil Young's lyrics from My My, Hey Hey, but, as the band addressed in the documentary... burning out is overrated. I mean Neil himself certainly hasn't burnt out (if anything, he's faded away, at least from the public consciousness), so I don't think there's an issue.

I thought Lefsetz's piece meant well. Perhaps he overplayed the nostalgia part of it but sometimes I think he isn't overplaying how disliked the band was....every forum I'm on there is always someone putting down the band and quoting that stupid quote from The Big Lebowski....

That said, the fans the band does have are probably the best fans to have - passionate, loyal, and multi-generational.

To say they were in any way a band for people from the 70s to remember the 70s sells them short. Yes they were the soundtrack to many people's lives from that time frame, but they can be just as easily the soundtrack to my life in 2016.

I really like Bob Lefsetz (partially because he calls it like it is when it comes to his dislike for Taylor Swift, who I can't stand lol).

I just think he had a viewpoint that isn't 100 percent accurate in this case, or is perhaps close-minded.

Joe's comment was beautiful, as was Bernie's and both Don's. Not sure if TBS has commented yet.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Well, I was born in 1977 and discovered the band in the late 80's or early 90's. So you can count me out too when it comes to the nostalgia thing.

I was born the year the guys broke up. I was 5 months old.

Not a lot of bands or singers who've been around for 20, 30, 40 or 50 years can get younger fans. The Eagles did. Their popularity never died eveb when they weren't together those 14 years.

I was 14 when the guys got back together in 1994. I was starting broaden my musical taste back in 1994. I remembered seeing HFO on tv maybe a year or two later. I don't remember. I wasn't a full fan yet, but I started to listen to their music. I stopped for a while, but I had their songs on mp3 player. Mostly songs I heard on the radio. I became a big fan when the History of The Eagles came out.

Their probably not that many people my age and under who have heard of the Eagles unless your parents played their music when they were young or bumped into their music like I did.

Border Desperado

I was born in 76, and probably heard of the Eagles in the mid 80's. I loved "The Heat is On" and "Boys of Summer". Those were big hits when I was on the school bus, listening to the radio.
    I got Greatest Hits 71-75 in the early 90's, so I was getting more familiar with them. Loved Glenn's leads. When they got back together in 94, they really weren't on my radar that much. I guess in the summer of 94 VH1 did a re-broadcast of HFO, and showed all of the "South of Sunset" shows, along with "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" as part of the Eagles Family Tree stuff they were doing. I fell in love with their music during this time. Bought all their cassettes, listened to them repeatedly. The concert in my area was already sold out at this point, but.....due to Glenn's stomach issues they cancelled twice and the venue was accepting returns. For Christmas 94' my parents got me and my brother tickets for the rescheduled Jan. 95 concert. The greatest concert ever. I have since bought everything Eagles or solo member (particularly Don and Glenn) stuff that I could get my hands on.
    Glenn was my favorite vocally, probably because of Heat is On, and Smuggler's Blues from before the Eagles......and Already Gone is still my absolute fav. song of theirs.

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

I was born in 75. my jam when growing up was the heat is on. because I loved Beverly Hills Cop. you belong to the city.... then of course Henley. I actually didn't know much about the eagles until a few years later. but I was still a kid. now I adore them because i'm a huge harmony fan. I love harmonies and these boys were beautiful. the soundtrack of the 70s indeed.

Just heard New York Minute. Recent events give the song a whole new chill.