Page 64 of 92 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Welcome, Momma Tee. I'm glad you found us. And yeah - this is a place where we all 'get it' so let your emotions flow.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Welcome to the border, Momma Tee. I think that most of us here are still in shock and disbelief, and this board is good place to vent whatever you feel about Glenn's death.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have ranted several times about my utter disgust with Rolling Stone, but I won't repeat it other than to say I'm really reluctant to even go to their website at this point, but will only do so if there is a mention of Glenn or the Eagles. I thought I'd quote this excerpt because it reminded me very much of what Don (Henley) said in his statement. "It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it."

Quote Originally Posted by David Browne, Rolling Stone
    Early this week, I interviewed J.D. Souther, who first met the Eagles' Glenn Frey in 1968 and, in addition to having his own career, co-wrote some of the band's most ubiquitous hits ("Best of My Love," "New Kid in Town") with Frey and Don Henley. Souther had just gotten off the phone with their mutual friend Linda Ronstadt, who said to Souther, "It's a different world, isn't it?" To which Souther replied, "Yes, it is.".
    Over the last few weeks, I have thought about Bernie's poignant lyrics in 'My Man' ...

"And we who must remain go on living just the same."

There is so much truth to these beautiful words, but for me, I feel like Don, Linda, and JD - while we will go on living for sure, I don't think things will ever be quite the same for me.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! It's a nice relief to know that I'm not the only one still struggling with reality. Following the announcement of the upcoming tribute during the Grammys, I spent my evening searching for any tidbit of information. To be honest, I have mixed feelings knowing that it's going to be terribly emotional for everyone. I am greatly relieved that Don, Joe, Timothy and Bernie have chosen to take ownership of things just to make sure that he is honored with true love, admiration and respect. It would be an insult to have some pop punk even attempt to recognize the impact Glenn has had on the lives of his fans, fellow artists and the music industry as a whole. He will always be in a different league of artists that sadly just don't come along these days. I think it is quite fitting for Jackson Brown to join the guys in the performance both as a co-writer and a dear friend. I truly think Glenn would be touched and honored. I am anxious to see the rest of the guys and want to see that they are doing okay. I can't imagine how difficult it will be for them all and wonder what kind of pep talk they will have before taking the stage. What can you say? You know that the missing link is going to be felt by each and every one in the Band, the audience and the millions of his fans that are yearning to connect with someone/everyone else that is feeling the same gut-wrenching pain right now! I'm still surprised that the tears still seem to fall about this man that I've never even met. I'm sad for his family, his friends, the young artists he could have influenced, and the rest of us who would have treasured the new songs/ideas that were still to come. I wonder what it is that connects a "fan" so deeply that we grieve as if we knew him? I think for me it's just a true sincere appreciation for his amazing talent and acknowledgement of his drive and hard work to accomplish what he set out to do. He knew how to put together the best artists and songs to be successful. Regardless of my mood, I can always find a song that fits. Whether I'm happy and feel like dancing, a ballad that makes me yearn to slow dance with my hubby, or just feeling down...listening to his solo stuff or their countless hits always makes me feel better. That's what makes it so difficult....he created music that touched our hearts & souls, and we loved him for it! But now, he's gone from this world and like so many have expressed, it will never be the same and that IS a very sad thing. I will definitely be watching Monday night and I'm certain the tears will fall as they should.

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Welcome MT!!! I'm still in shock from all of this as well! Glenn will always be one of the greats!!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

I teared up again a few minutes. I was reading one of the old Frey photo threads, and there was discussion about Glenn and Cindy. I couldn't help but think of what she must be going through now. Plus the song that came up on my playlist was Harry Chapin's Cats in the Cradle, which was one my dad's favorite songs, so I thought of him. That song talks about the ever changing relationship between a father and his son. Those 2 thoughts coming back to back like that was hard.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Just saw the Royal Oak School Board approved the motion to change the name of the street that runs in front of Glenn's old high school to Glenn Frey Drive!!! The classic rock station in Detroit WCSX was the one who started the campaign and they livestreamed the vote on their FaceBook page.

ETA: Also just saw tweets that the Pebble Beach Celebrity Golf tournament honored him too today. There's a vid on YouTube but the sound's a bit quiet.
    Last edited by buffyfan145; 02-11-2016 at 10:09 PM.

I'm so happy that Glenn Frey Drive will be a reality.

Irving Azoff gave an interview and he was asked about Glenn's death and the effect it has on him.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/02/12...X9AGIoGug&_rdr

Q.*What was it like for you when Glenn Frey died? He had been your client for more than 40 years.

A.*It was more like losing a brother first, and then a trusted personal friend, and a client third. It was hard, really hard. I was pretty forthcoming in the statement that he died from complications of rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia. But there’s been all this speculation over what role, if any, the drugs he was taking had in it. When you go on TV and you think, why are there 10 seconds to this drug ad and then 25 seconds of disclaimers? But the reason those disclaimers are up there is that it obviously happens to people. It just happened to Glenn.

The Eagles’ career was on an upward spiral, as was Fleetwood Mac, another client, and Steely Dan. Things from that era that still sound great live, they were just getting bigger and bigger. Glenn always said, “The first time we went out on a high, and when we stop touring the second time, it’s going to be the same thing.”

We didn’t intend for it to end this way, but you couldn’t write the script for how to have it end any bigger
    -Kim-

Another interview with Irving. He states that Glenn's memorial service will be private.
    http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=299669
    -Kim-

I have a huge request of my fellow members.. I live in Australia and don't have Foxtel (cable) TV. The Grammys are only shown on there over here. Could someone either link the memorial performance of the boys or link me to their YouTube post of their performance so I can see it on Monday? I am heartbroken not to be able to watch it...thank you so much