Page 71 of 92 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Default Re: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Yeah it is funny how sometings can set you off. But for me Eric Clapton's Tears In Heaven. I always break down crying when I here it because it reminds me of my Grandmother who passed away in 2014 of Alzheimer's, She had it for over 20 years and I never knew her I just remover her bring sick and I started to get into trouble in school again because it was just really emotional time for me.I absolutely can not listen to that song

I can'tell believe it is 2 months today Glenn has been gone...still seems like a bad dream that I'm gonna wake up from...

I know, right? It feels like it's been years since it happened.

Slightly related, but in fact, I hardly remember daily life before January 18th, as weird as that sounds. All the mundane stuff happening in my life, all the things I had been worrying about, completely didn't matter once I found out about Glenn.
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    Yeah it is funny how sometings can set you off. But for me Eric Clapton's Tears In Heaven. I always break down crying when I here it because it reminds me of my Grandmother who passed away in 2014 of Alzheimer's, She had it for over 20 years and I never knew her I just remover her bring sick and I started to get into trouble in school again because it was just really emotional time for me.I absolutely can not listen to that song
    For me, that song reminds me of my dad. I cherish the 11 years I got with him because some kids don't get that many. His death caused me problems at school as well, especially making the transition from elementary school to middle school 6 months after he passed. School didn't matter to me much for a year. Actually, nothing mattered to me during that time period. Tears in Heaven has set me off several times over the years.

Back to Glenn, wow 2 months. I hadn't thought of that before I readit here. It completely slipped my mind because of what I had done today.(teeth pulled). When I was last at dentist's office to haven a filling done back in December, Desperado played on the radio just as they were numbing me up. Hearing the song made me relax. I thought of that today when I was filling out paperwork beforehand. It put a smile on my face. (The radio was good today as well, playing Fleetwood Mac's Little Lies) i don't have the concert experiences most borderers have, so that something like that I cherish.

As I said in the press thread, I bought the RS magazine with the Cameron Crowe article. It arrived Wednesday. I read over it last night before bed and the other article about what lead to Glenn's death. The pages got a little damp because of my tears. It still seems raw and unreal.

While my worries before Glenn's passing remain the same (college, my future, my health problems etc), I've noticed that I'm thinking differently. Glenn's death has been an eye opener for me to get off of my butt and do something with my life, to extract joy from it. I've been stuck in a rut for nearly two years, and I need to move forward, which I'm now doing.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I was hanging the Don Henley poster I got at the Nashville show yesterday and all of the sudden I remember how, when I got it, I was thinking about when I might see Glenn again. I got choked up. It is funny what can make you emotional but I can deal with it much better now. I wouldn't call it "moving on" so much as learning to live with the reality that he is gone.
    I think thats a good way of putting it Soda. January 18th is a big watershed for me. Seems like everything that has happened me was 'before' of 'after' that date. I'm slowly starting to play more of my Glenn cd's and videos etc. Like you putting up the poster I felt it when I saw Don and Joe starting their solo projects and I had that awful feeling that we would not experience that for Glenn again. It feels like he too has been cheated as well as his fans. And there are still so many little things that I associated him with that now chokes me up.
    Theres a lot of people out there who really think I should be 'over' this by now, but thankfully I also have some very good friends who know how I'm feeling on a day to day basis and I am very thankful for them. AG you say how this has changed your attitude to life. For me it has changed my idea of and attitude to death. Not in any kid of a morbid way. Just I used to be afraid of it, unsure about afterlife etc. Now I'm not afraid anymore
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

In a way it's hard to believe it's been 2 months because I still sometimes can't believe he's gone but then in other ways I feel like it happened awhile ago. For me it's both had me realize that time goes way too fast and made me become more concerned about my parents.

My parents are in the early to mid 50s now and they were Eagles fans first and it's got me more realizing they won't be around forever. And with my Mom's health issues and her having upcoming surgery for carpel tunnel my brother and I are going to be helping out more often. It's also got me thinking more about my Dad too as not only in some photos he resembles Glenn but in the things I've read about Glenn my Dad's personality is similar (as is my own LOL).

Then now that I'm almost 30 I really need to get my life where I want it to be. I went back to college a couple years ago and if everything goes to plan I'll finally graduate next year. I also went through an almost writer's block from my novels after Glenn passed as I was just so thrown. I had to abandon the story I was working on but finally another idea started emerging these past few weeks that I'm now working on. I know he wouldn't want me giving up on my writing and I'm still editing my 4th self-published novel that I want to get out this year. Plus, hopefully this waiting for the right guy will pay off too now that I'll be in my 30s soon. LOL

So it's just got me thinking more about life and I guess really becoming an adult and taking charge of it.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Out on the Border TequilaSunrise82's Avatar

My father and Glenn are only a few months apart in age. Recently, my dad's cancer came back and Glenn's death has really stirred up a lot of emotions I was suppressing before regarding my dad's health. It makes it all too real.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well said everyone. I was going to post something here yesterday, but just didn't feel up to it. I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but I have hardly listened to any music at all since Glenn's death. The Eagles have been 'my band' ever since I heard Take It Easy on the radio in the summer of '72. I had also loved The Beatles and was sad when they broke up. But, perhaps it was because I was a little more mature when the Eagles emerged that I connected so intimately with their music in a way I never did with any other band before or since. I was devastated when they broke up. I guess I was somewhat mollified by Don's and Glenn's solo music and the classic radio stations that kept their music alive for me. Even though I liked some of the 80's music, no other artist ever came close to replacing my beloved Eagles. By the early 90's, I was focused on my career and started losing interest in music altogether for a short while. Then, we all know what happened in '94. However, despite my best efforts, I was unable to sync my work travel schedule up to get to see a HFO show. So, although my love for them never waned, it was not until May, 2003 that I realized my almost lifelong dream of seeing them play live. I didn't get the opportunity to see them again until March, 2005, which was when I decided that I was going to try my best to make up for lost time. So for the next 10+ years, I did exactly that. And I will never regret going to a single Eagles-related event up to my last show in July of last year. So January 18th has indeed left a huge hole in my world - not to sound melodramatic, but it does feel like it was the day the music died for me. As Soda said, time will help us all deal with the reality of living in this world without Glenn or the Eagles in it. I hope I will soon be able to enjoy music again, but I doubt that things will ever be the same for me in that regard. So as the title of this thread says - for me, Glenn may be gone, but he will never be forgotten.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

My parents are both in their early 70s. They just left after a week's visit. Yesterday, my father was dealing with a lot of arthritis pain and was grumbling about how much he hated getting old. I said "Getting old is better than the alternative" and thought of Glenn, who never made it to his 70s. When they left today, I gave both of them big hugs and told them how much I loved them. Yeah, it definitely changes your perspective.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Hope your Dad feels better soon Soda, its not easy seeing your parents health failing. I find I'm telling all my friends that I love them now - more than I ever did before. I guess it has been brought home to us that this thing called life is a lot more precarious than we realised.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP