Page 84 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3474808182838485868788 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Default Re: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

This is an article about Kevin Sousa, Glenn's guitar tech in the 1990's, who has released an EP: http://tbrnews.com/entertainment/kev...ec6d1b457.html

This is the quote about Glenn:

But 2016 started bad for Sousa. His former boss, Glenn Frey of Eagles fame, died from various medical issues. Sousa was Frey's guitar tech in the late 1990s. Sousa wrote the first song, on “Wait, What?,” called “California,” about his last 20 years “settling into life,” as a tribute to Frey and the Eagles country rock sound.

“When he passed away, for some reason, it just rocked me,” Sousa said. “He was a mentor and I really looked up to him. He taught me a lot. I was in a really bad place when I was working for them. He treated me really kind, with respect. He gave me the benefit of the doubt. I was running too hard back then. I finally got thrown out by the tour manager. It was my own fault, but I had a lot of pain over that. When he passed it brought up a lot of old things.”
    ETA a quote from another article about Kevin Sousa:
    The opening track is titled “California,” and the stormy weather that leads it off is a tip that there is more than meets the eye in the place synonymous with new beginnings and a sunny disposition. Sousa describes the song as “a look back at the 20 years I’ve spent out here: how I’ve grown and changed as a human being.” It’s wrapped up in the memories that Sousa made with Glenn Frey, a founding member of the Eagles who died in January.

“Glenn was so good and kind. He used to love to say, ‘This is Kevin from Villanova. Now he tunes my guitars,’” Sousa recalled with a laugh.
    http://www.easyreadernews.com/133879...za-new-ep-tow/
    Last edited by GlennLover; 08-18-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I just now realized that this past Thursday marked 7 months since January 18th. I wish Don the best tonight as he plays so close to Detroit. I know that the pain and heartache is still there for him and Glenn's family.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I just now realized that this past Thursday marked 7 months since January 18th. I wish Don the best tonight as he plays so close to Detroit. I know that the pain and heartache is still there for him and Glenn's family.
    Yes, I was surprised that nobody posted. I remembered & meant to post, but I got busy & didn't get back to the board that day to do so.

My conscious mind had forgotten what day it was; this was the first week of school and I was so busy that the days blurred together. I had remembered the happy times of Niagara Falls earlier in the week, but I had let the anniversary of his death pass me by! I felt so guilty yesterday that I was ashamed to post about it.

However, I had a dream last night, a HAPPY one, and it's made me feel pretty good today. It's long and I wrote about another dream not too long ago, so I understand if folks don't want to read it. Still, I'm going to type it out for my own sake so I don't forget it. I've had several dreams since Glenn's death that I didn't write down and now I can't remember them very well. Here goes...

In the first part of the dream, I'm standing outside Glenn's house in the middle of the day. I want to get in to see him because I know he's sick. Should I knock on the door? What if they don't want to let me in?

The next second, I'm somehow in the house - in the bathroom, of all places, in the midst of washing my hands! I don't know how I got there and I get VERY nervous. What should I do? What would they say if they found me in here?

As I'm standing there drying my hands off with the hand towel and trying to figure out what to do, Taylor just walks in. Act naturally, I think. Maybe she'll remember me and assume someone else let me in.

"Hey," I say and smile, letting go of the towel and casually walking past her.

"Hi," she replies. She's not at all bothered and simply closes the door behind me once I'm out in the hall.

Whew, I think as I stand in the hallway, but I doubt this strategy will work on everyone. Deacon met me for like one minute years ago, and Cindy met me for about five minutes, and I looked a lot different then. They'll figure out nobody invited me in and kick me out! How mortifying would that be?!

I look around. I don't know the way out. I'm still not sure what to do. I hear noise coming from a room down the hall. It sounds like a TV. Somehow I know Glenn is in that room. I start tip-toeing down the hallway towards the room. I want so badly to see Glenn.

As I get to end of the hallway, I stop right before the entrance to the room. What if Glenn is displeased to see me and tells me to leave? That would be unbearable! I can't risk it. I'll stay out of sight.

I stand to the side of the doorway and peek around. After I get a peek at Glenn, I'll get back to figuring out how to get out without being seen.

There he is, sitting on a couch with the rest of his family, watching TV. He looks fine. Wow. I can't believe he looks so good, I think. He looks like there's nothing wrong. I wish I would have checked on him earlier. I'm hugely relieved.

I notice that the living room looks very old-fashioned - 70s style, down to the wood paneling, the lamps that never seemed to produce much light, and the brown and white striped couch. The TV is that big boxed kind with a wood finish that looks like a piece of furniture. It reminds me of my living room as a small child around '79 or '80, except our couch was dark brown with no stripes. Some of my earliest memories are of playing on the furniture in there when my parents weren't around (no climbing all over the nice couch! The couch is for sitting!)

This doesn't seem odd to me in the dream, despite the fact that the rest of the house is modern. It's just an interesting coincidence. All the while I'm thinking, He looks fine.

Suddenly, I'm outside again, but I'm still filled with that enormous sense of relief. Glenn didn't seem to be in any pain. He was just having a nice time watching TV with his family. Maybe he won't tour anymore or make any more new music, but I can accept that if Glenn is OK.

Then my dream gets even better! The second part...

In a wink, I've gone from standing outside in daylight to walking along a sidewalk at night. I turn and Glenn is right there beside me, walking along next to me. "I wish you had been here yesterday," he says casually as we walk. "We watched a movie called 'The Seed.' It was good."

I'm thinking excitedly, OOH, Glenn wishes I had seen a movie with him and his family! This is so cool! But all I say is, "'The Seed' - I think I've heard of that - is it a horror movie?"

"No, it's about aliens," he replies. "I think you would like it."

I nod. "Yeah,I'm not big on horror movies, but I love sci-fi." Even as I say this, I know I would gladly see any movie Glenn had invited me to, horror movie or not, and like it! Once again, I think, I wish I had known he was doing so well. I would have come much earlier.

We continue walking along. I don't know where we are or where we're going, but I don't care. He is talking about movies - maybe he's taking me to a movie theater! He's acting like this is the most natural thing in the world, for us to be strolling down the street together. I force myself to act naturally too, like it's no big deal, but inside I'm so freaking thrilled.

I want to tell him, "Thanks for hanging out with me one last time" but then I think if I say that, it'll finalize it. Maybe he wants to hang out more than one time! He looks so healthy, after all. Maybe he has lots of time left.

As we walk along, Glenn spots a club across the street that has on its marquee "JACK TEMPCHIN." He's playing that club even as we speak! Glenn is excited. "Let's go see Jack!"

We hurry across the street to the club. The guy who takes tickets stops us because we don't have any. Since we're in a hurry, I huff, "Why are you stopping us? This is Glenn Frey!"

The guy starts to apologize but Glenn just gets his wallet out and says "No, it's fine. I'll pay for the tickets."

I blush because he obviously doesn't use his celebrity to get in places. I hope Glenn doesn't think less of me due to my feeble attempt to do so on his behalf! I look at his face but he doesn't appear unhappy with me. He's buying two tickets, so I must not have blown it with my faux pas. Phew!

As Glenn pays, I see a sign on the wall that says "RIP GLEN FREY - January 18, 2016." Instead of feeling sad, I'm just annoyed that they spelled Glenn's name wrong. As we start walking in, I tell the guy, "Seriously, you need to fix that. I can't believe you spelled his name wrong on his RIP sign. There are TWO 'ns.'"

Glenn hears me scolding the guy and laughs. "I see that all the time. Even on the RIP stuff, people spell it wrong." He's chuckling as we go in to the club. He's not bothered at all!

Then I woke up... feeling good. The dream felt so real. I actually tried to go back to sleep again to get a "Part 3" but no luck.

I'm amazed that I looked right at that RIP sign in the dream, knew the date of his death was correct, and didn't even blink because after all, Glenn was right there, and he was unfazed by it. He was laughing. He was happy.

I knew I had to write this dream out before I forgot it and share it with you guys! If you read the whole thing, congrats! lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I did remember that Thursday marked the 7 month anniversary since Glenn's passing. However, I have been so busy the last few weeks that I didn't get a chance to post anything - doesn't mean I don't still miss him though.

And Soda - I read every word of your post and it made me happy too.

So that's the way it goes for me these past 7 months - the mixed emotions still alive and well.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Wow Soda that was a great dream!!! It made me really happy to read that and that he was happy in it too. Funny about the name misspelling as that has been bugging me personally still seeing people not spelling it right. LOL

As for last Thursday I didn't even realize it either but it was my birthday, which is weird because when Glenn passed I knew it was the same day of the month and I was thinking of him still with knowing I'll be seeing Don Tuesday.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I blame school for making me forget until very early this morning.

Soda, that dream was cool to read. It put a smile on my face. I also get annoyed by the name spelling mistakes, but it's the thought that counts, right?

I don't know how I feel. Even though I'm very busy, I still think of Glenn every day. I think that the mood I'm in at the time I think of him affects what I feel. For example, if I'm happy, I feel thankful for the amount of music he left us with and all that he was able to do with his life.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

I remembered the date; I always will. But I didn't realise people wanted to be reminded of it every month, so I didn't post anything.

So yesterday I was coming home from the gym and had the Very Best Of The Eagles in my Car player. CD2 has some smudges and scratches so I had to skip several songs and need to clean it. So the Final track a Hole In The World came on and the harmonies were so beautiful. The track was just really too emotion al to drive to. The scenery coming back was just perfect. It was a partly cloudy sky. Then the song came on and the clouds started fading and the sun rays were visible through the clouds with some of the white clouds surrounding the sun and the green grass. It just made me emotional because I was thinking of my Grandmother who passed away in 2014 and then Glenn because it just makes you think of celebrities are just regular humans and I knew my grandmother was watching me. I also know that Glenn was up there playing with all the other musicians. Then when the song ended the clouds came back in again.

I had to change it to Get Over It to make me focus on driving.

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    So yesterday I was coming home from the gym and had the Very Best Of The Eagles in my Car player. CD2 has some smudges and scratches so I had to skip several songs and need to clean it. So the Final track a Hole In The World came on and the harmonies were so beautiful. The track was just really too emotion al to drive to. The scenery coming back was just perfect. It was a partly cloudy sky. Then the song came on and the clouds started fading and the sun rays were visible through the clouds with some of the white clouds surrounding the sun and the green grass. It just made me emotional because I was thinking of my Grandmother who passed away in 2014 and then Glenn because it just makes you think of celebrities are just regular humans and I knew my grandmother was watching me. I also know that Glenn was up there playing with all the other musicians. Then when the song ended the clouds came back in again.

I had to change it to Get Over It to make me focus on driving.
    I understand what you mean. Reminds me of "No More Cloudy Days", too.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten