Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I Love To Watch A Woman Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    My oldest son was looking at the cd cover and saw this title. He said, "I Love to Watch a Woman Dance" and then gave a thoughtful, "Hmmmm".

I said, "There is no pole or dollar bills involved." To which he replied, "Oh."
    LOL!!!!

I think that the main reason this song sounds out of place is because we're not used to such romantic songs from the Eagles. When I hear this song, I think of Glenn and only Glenn, not the Eagles. Perhaps that's a drawback in the sense that this is an Eagles album, but I still think the song is strong and affecting.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    I think that the main reason this song sounds out of place is because we're not used to such romantic songs from the Eagles. When I hear this song, I think of Glenn and only Glenn, not the Eagles. Perhaps that's a drawback in the sense that this is an Eagles album, but I still think the song is strong and affecting.
    I know others' mileage varies, but I don't find this song romantic at all.

It was compared to Lady In Red earlier and I don't see that either. In that song, DeBurgh was singing about his wife and how beautiful she looked that evening. That song is romantic. To my ears, ILTWAWD just sounds like a guy drooling over some random woman.

Glenn must really love this song though, because in his book Don Felder talked about Glenn presenting it to the band when they were trying to record an album back in the late 90s. Felder said he thought it sounded almost exactly like For My Wedding which Henley was planning on (and did) include on Inside Job.

sorry....I fast forward at this one.
    Take It Easy
    Billy

Quote Originally Posted by tbsfan
    I know others' mileage varies, but I don't find this song romantic at all.

It was compared to Lady In Red earlier and I don't see that either. In that song, DeBurgh was singing about his wife and how beautiful she looked that evening. That song is romantic. To my ears, ILTWAWD just sounds like a guy drooling over some random woman.
    I find "Lady in Red" really romantic, too. It makes me melt. But there's nowhere in the lyrics of "Lady in Red" where DeBurgh indicates that he is even in a romantic relationship with the woman, much less that it's his wife. It could just as easily be a random woman in that song, too. If he didn't give interviews saying that it was for his wife, we'd never know it. That's where I derive the comparison from - the lyrics.

And who knows, maybe because Glenn's wife was once a professional dancer, the song reminds him of her and how she affects him. If you look at it that way, it's REALLY romantic. (Just speculating, of course.)

Glenn must really love this song though, because in his book Don Felder talked about Glenn presenting it to the band when they were trying to record an album back in the late 90s. Felder said he thought it sounded almost exactly like For My Wedding which Henley was planning on (and did) include on Inside Job.
    It does seem that he really loves the song. I happen to love it, too! But hey, different things appeal to different people. I understand that it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

Ugh. I just about had my response finished when my browser crashed!

I find "Lady in Red" really romantic, too. It makes me melt. But there's nowhere in the lyrics of "Lady in Red" where DeBurgh indicates that he is even in a romantic relationship with the woman, much less that it's his wife. It could just as easily be a random woman in that song, too. If he didn't give interviews saying that it was for his wife, we'd never know it. That's where I derive the comparison from - the lyrics.
    Even without DeBurgh saying the song was about his wife, which I didn't know for quite some time after first hearing the song, the lyrics sound like he's singing to a woman he knows and has a history with - "Ive never seen you looking so gorgeous as you did tonight, Ive never seen you shine so bright you were amazing." Because of that, when I first heard it, it actually reminded me a bit of Clapton's Wonderful Tonight. I just don't get that from ILTWAWD. But that's just me. In my eyes, neither one of them can hold a candle to Wonderful Tonight.

It does seem that he really loves the song. I happen to love it, too! But hey, different things appeal to different people. I understand that it might not be everyone's cup of tea.
    Yeah, different strokes and all that. Music is very subjective and it's interesting to see the different ways people interpret songs. And, if you don't like a song on LROOE, there are always 19 more to choose from.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - I definitely have to put my two cents worth in here. First of all, I totally agree about music being subjective and how there is room for everyone's opinion. It's just a fact that all of us have different preferences. That's one of the things I like about the album - there really is a little something for everyone on it. Having said that, I really am surprised at the response to this song. I think it is absolutely gorgeous and romantic. Maybe it's because I've seen Glenn perform it live on several occasions, but believe me, not once did I get any freaky, stalker vibe when he performed it. He puts his heart and soul in it as he stands at the mike sans guitar, and it is totally romantic, IMHO. I love the range of his voice here, and I think it must be a terribly difficult song to sing.

As far as the song not fitting in with the rest of the album, I don't totally agree with that either. While I do agree that it is probably more of a Glenn solo song than an Eagles song, I think the same is true for several of the Don and Glenn songs on the album. But here's why I think it fits on the album - since the Eagles never did pure love songs like this back in the day, the initial reaction is that its not an Eagles song. However, they are no longer 20 year old males who are unable to open up there hearts. I think the song shows their growth and maturity, which are underlying themes throughout the album. They are now unapologetically capable of expressing their emotions in a pure love song. It also compliments the mix between the albums themes.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Good points, Dreamer. As for me I don't mind if it fits to the rest of the album or not, the contrary is the case. I find it boring to listen to an album and every song sounds similar. And I agree with you when you say there are Don-sounding songs on it, for instance FGOTBP. If you ask me it sounds totally like Don. I think what I don't like on ILTWAWD primarily is the waltz.

I don't get the "creepy/stalker" vibe at all when I listen to the song. I understand what it's about and like I've said before, Glenn sounds fabulous. I think part of the reason I don't care for it is the melody. It's just not something that grabs me. But I'm glad the rest of you have such a strong response to it!

Well I just love this song! Tho I do agree the placement of it on the CD could have been better, the song itself is maginficent... Glenn's vocal and the subtle harmonies on the chorus are just right IMO

Stuck on the Border

Let me say that I have always HATED Lady In Red. I have also always known that it was about the singer's partner ('I have never seen that dress you're wearing').

Perhaps Glenn should have placed this on Disc 1 and NMCD on Disc 2, but my opinion of it remains. I just melt when I hear him sing it. I like the simplicity of it (one review compared it with The Band). I do not believe he will ever sing the song with the Eagles. If I do have any criticisms of his songs and a couple of Don's songs it is that they are too 'solo', not 'Eagles' enough. On this track I have the ominous feeling that none of the other three Eagles actually appear. I also feel that with YANA, except for backing vocals.