Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I Love To Watch A Woman Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I assume this is one of Don's 'superfluous' songs. If it is he has had since 1995 to object to it. Felder mentions it in his book, and predictably didn't like it. Given that Don sang For My Wedding by the same writer, I would have thought he approved of it, but there you are.
    Well, we don't know that for sure, although I have a suspicion you're right. However, as you said, Don obviously likes McNally's work so... maybe not.

I for one am glad Don amended his criticism to be only "a couple." At first it seemed as if he disdained ALL of the love songs on the album.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

If COTU and WITW can be described as 'love' songs I doubt that Don would feel disdain for those two. The only song he sings with which he expressed dissatisfaction was BBF.

I guess I should have said, all the love songs that he didn't sing. lol

But if Don includes BBF, he is at least somewhat self-critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Little Sister
    Well I know that Michael provides the main instrumentation with the accordion. Tim will be playing bass, of course. Honestly, I am so distracted by the beauty of Glenn's voice during this song I don't really notice the music. The almost acappella arrangement is one of the things I love about it. The first time I heard this was live in MI and the heartbreaking beauty of it at first had my jaw agape and then tears raining down my face. I had to get a tissue from Soda when he was done singing because tears were dripping off my chin. I am so happy to have this one. Hell, I'd have bought the cd even if the other 19 songs sucked just to get this one. lol
    It is not a given that Tim plays bass on this song, given that Glenn has a 'bass' credit. However, because he sang it without an instrument when he did it live, it may be a fair assumption that is is Tim here.

I assume this is one of Don's 'superfluous' songs. If it is he has had since 1995 to object to it. Felder mentions it in his book, and predictably didn't like it. Given that Don sang For My Wedding by the same writer, I would have thought he approved of it, but there you are.

I'm sorry FP. I was unclear in my statement. I meant that when performing this live, Tim would, of course be on the bass. I clearly remember Jonathan's bass playing during it...tho that's the only one I do remember. If Danny was playing guitar, I don't remember it. On the album itself, I have no idea. I did notice the mandolin on the studio version tho and I would assume that's Steuart.

Stuck on the Border

Well, as I said, I believe the Eagles will never play this song live.

Anyway let's say some more positive things about it. He does use most of his range here. When he goes really low, those are the moments that grab me, as in 'a million miles away'. He sounds almost laconic, though his voice is so sweet. I don't know how to explain that very well. I especially love 'I'm gonna hold on to youuuuu' with a bit of the old vibrato in the 'you' (shades of my favourite part of POMPOY) - and then 'for as long as I can' is that low, laconic part again.

Those of you who saw him do it were very lucky indeed. I can only hope.

Who knows. It went over very well for Glenn. However, it's possible that it would be considered too solo for the shows. Believe me, I know how lucky I am to have been able to see Glenn perform it live.

The impassioned vocal is what makes this song. The melody is almost inconsequential - at least for me.

This one makes me want to gag but the little woman likes it.

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Each to his own! I love this song, and melt to the words in the third verse:
    So we danced together, close and slow
    So slow we're almost standing still
    Her warm breath against my neck
    Slowly breaking down my will
    The room spins so I can barely stand
    However, I have to agree that this would sounds more like a Glenn solo song, as do some of Don's solos.

Here is a link to Larry John Mcnally's take on it.

http://www.larryjohnmcnally.com/wordpress/?p=69

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Thanks for posting!

Very interesting. Since I like the song, I like to hear more about the inspiration. However, I've seen the YouTube video he mentions and it was so awful I couldn't even get through it. I think it was more her choice of song than her dancing that got his motor running!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQFvKCjAjz0