Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: So are they breaking up?!

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: So are they breaking up?!

Actually had a conversation with my family about this last night as my Mom saw the article on FB and asked if I did. I told her yes and figured what Don said was the case. My Mom was really sad about it and in a way I think she was hoping they'd continue. My Dad though agreed with me and said it'd be crazy if The Eagles continued without Glenn. He brought up too about how that time before HFO when they tried to reunite but Glenn backed out. My Dad simply said "No Glenn = No Eagles". My brother too was a bit surprised as we're so used to all these older bands finding other singers and still going out there (and in some cases they should retire) and he wondered if they'd do the same. So I just thought it was interesting that my family was so evenly split on this.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Has anyone else seen this?? Is it for real??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Border Troubadour

Is what for real? That they were talking about touring the Hotel California album? - yeah, that's what Don said in the interview - would've been brilliant!
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I agree with most everyone here. If you look through the almost 15 pages of this thread, the comments are overwhelmingly that the band would/should not continue without Glenn. I think most of us are very sad the Eagles are over and don’t want it to be true, but at the same time, also do not believe they should go on. For me, rather naively, never in a million years did I figure the band would end with the death of one of its band members. I think the suddenness of Glenn’s death makes it especially hard. I honestly didn’t expect the band to go on much longer, but I had envisioned them going out in fine style with a few big farewell shows. To see them take the stage and perform a solemn tribute at the Grammy’s instead was very painful for me, yet, I’m glad they did it. So, yes, there are still a lot of conflicting emotions.

I also totally agree that if these guys were in their 30’s or 40’s that many of us may feel differently, especially with some passage of time. But, the reality is they are not. I personally don’t believe we will ever see the Eagles as an ongoing recording or touring act again nor do I want to. However, the remaining members will probably reunite for certain occasions such as the Kennedy Center Honors and, hopefully, a tribute concert for Glenn. If they do any other special events, perhaps Glenn’s son, Deacon, would be included. However, I can only say whatever the future holds in terms of joint appearances for them, I highly doubt that I will ever be able to describe the emotions I will feel as ‘delighted’. As a matter of fact, I personally find that term to be rather offensive used in this context. I think for me, it would be extremely bittersweet at best.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    If the Eagles decide to work together again, under any moniker, I'd be delighted.

Henley's comments, on the BBC, about the Eagles future were considerably less definite than, the Eagles will reunite when Hell Freezes Over.

I don't underestimate the importance of Glenn to the Eagles but it's a fact of life, nobody is irreplaceable.

Thanks for the cheery reply, Girl From Yesterday

I know it's a terrible time for Frey fans but I live in the hope that, what's to come is going to be better than what's past.
    He was irreplaceable. At least he was to me. You just brush him aside.

I also agree with Dreamer on your use of the word 'delighted'. It is the second time you have used this word. You seem to be implying that .... 'well, that's that out of the way'. You have no idea, apparently, how Glenn Frey's fans feel about this, even if you threw in the words 'terrible time'as an afterthought. Your comment that what may come next may be 'better than what's past' beggars belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    If the Eagles decide to work together again, under any moniker, I'd be delighted.

Henley's comments, on the BBC, about the Eagles future were considerably less definite than, the Eagles will reunite when Hell Freezes Over.

I don't underestimate the importance of Glenn to the Eagles but it's a fact of life, nobody is irreplaceable.

Thanks for the cheery reply, Girl From Yesterday

I know it's a terrible time for Frey fans but I live in the hope that, what's to come is going to be better than what's past.
    I mustn't have heard the same interview on the BBC as you F50, as I definitely heard "No More Eagles"!! They barely managed at the Grammys and you expect them to just up and start playing again like nothing happened...

Sadly, the proposed HC tour was going to be their final farewell but now that can never happen, but can I be around if you decide to pitch it to Don Henley that they replace Glenn with someone else and start touring ?? It's not like they misplaced a guitar or a shoe ..... or something equally as absurd as your comment.

As for the future, only Don, Joe and Timothy know what will happen and it will never be better than what's past
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

I for one am happy they're shutting it down. I believe the History of the Eagles documentary and tour were the perfect ending for a nearly perfect career. When I watch the documentary now and see young Don say, "We can't do this forever" and young Glenn says, "You can't?" I now answer, "Yes, you can Glenn!" And he did. Damn near to the very end. What a life he had! I've heard people say things like; replace him with Jackson, replace him with his son! No, it was Glenn's band and there is NO replacing Glenn. They had the most incredible run ever and that thrills me.

Now, Joe and the others can pursue their own music. They're free to spend their old age any way they want to. I'm sure we'll see different ones playing with each other here and there. It's time to celebrate their amazing achievement!

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Border Rebel

I don't think you can replace Glenn. In fact I know you can't. If it had happened differently, I don't think Don H. would be replaceable, either, and at this stage in the game, I'd say the same for Joe.

I got the idea behind "No one is irreplaceable," but I think there's replacing and there's downgrading. Maybe there are better singers out there, better songwriters, better guitar players, but there is NO one better at being an Eagle, and the band would not in any way be the same. We saw just a taste of that at the Grammys. And I can't even imagine why anyone would think it would be better than what's past. *shaking head in disbelief*

All that being said, I would love to see some kind of a tribute concert/mini-tour. Maybe we should all write to Don about giving the fans a chance to say goodbye.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks everyone for these last few posts. I couldn't have said it better and as a matter of fact, I didn't. You are all right - not everyone is replaceable and the idea that the Eagles sans Glenn will produce music in the future that is superior to what they did at their creative peak is pure fantasy land.

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    All that being said, I would love to see some kind of a tribute concert/mini-tour. Maybe we should all write to Don about giving the fans a chance to say goodbye.
    Mary, I loved your post and ever since I heard Don's comments in the BBC interview, I have been thinking about this too. Perhaps, it would be a great idea for us fans to write all the remaining members of the band and Irving either collectively or individually and urge them to plan a tribute concert for Glenn. I agree Eagles fans need this and maybe we could help them realize how much it would mean to us. Let's do it - I'm going to start working on a letter to send.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I agree that they should not go on without Glenn. Glenn and Don were the yin and yang of the Eagles. There is no Eagles without both of them.

I would also like if they did some sort of tribute concert to Glenn. It would be a nice way to honor him and his legacy, and also give the fans a chance to express their appreciation.

But to continue touring as the Eagles? I would not personally want that to happen. It would just be too sad and painful to see.