Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What song would you like to hear the Eagles sing - either as a group or solo?

Default What song would you like to hear the Eagles sing - either as a group or solo?

As I was reading through the comments on various threads on the Border, especially regarding replacing Joe Walsh with Francis Rossi from Status Quo (now that would be interesting to see ), I thought - I would love to see the band perform 'The Wanderer' - a classic Status Quo song!!

(I've put a link to the song for those that have never heard it here The Wanderer - Francis Rossi is the lead singer in the middle)

And then it got me thinking - what songs by other artists/groups would you like to hear the Eagles perform - either as a group or solo ?

One song I'd love to hear Don sing is Bob Segers 'We've got tonight'. I came across it on a CD today and had forgotten how great that song is.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Banned

Default Re: What song would you like to hear the Eagles sing - either as a group or solo?

The Wanderer is a classic Dion song. Quo's version is fine but Dion's The man.

Despite suggesting Francis Rossi as a possible cockney Eagle, I can't really think of any isolated Quo songs I'd love to hear the Eagles play. They all sound the same don't they? It would be a spectacle though .

I think Canned Heat's Let's Work Together would make a good Eagles cover. They could share the vocals as an extra display of unity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN7j-LCgaiE

A little more up to date. I love Patience by Olof Arnalds. I'd love to hear the Eagles do a blokey cover of it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsLQvLk4o10
    Last edited by Funk 50; 03-30-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Border Troubadour

Default Re: What song would you like to hear the Eagles sing - either as a group or solo?

CSNY's Teach Your Children or something by Pure Prairie League, perhaps Kansas City Southern. The latter would definitely need Bernie though.

Stuck on the Border

Randy Newman was going to cover KISS's "Great expectations" for his Born Again album, because he thought it's hilarious. He didn't record it, but he suggested that the Eagles record it. Randy said that he got very weird looks, or something like that. He didn't say which Eagles member/members he was talking to, but it was probably Glenn or/and Don.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I've thought about this before and I've come up with a couple of what I think are decent suggestions (although I think in each case they would sound best performed by a specific line up).

One of these was Lookin' For A Love, by Neil Young from his 1975 album Zuma:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFs_4N5PU28

I think this country rock tune would have sounded great if it had been covered by the original Eagles line up, I could imagine Randy singing lead on it or possibly Glenn, although definitely not Don H. I think it would have been a good fit for them musically as well as vocally.

I'd also have love to have heard Don Felder and Joe have a go at the closing guitar solos on Free Bird, in fact one thing I'd love would be for the Eagles to have performed Already Gone as usual and then when that song ends then start playing the Free Bird solos. It maybe wouldn't be the best for showcasing the other band members but the merged song created would be awesome IMO.

There is one song that I'd like to see Don Henley cover solo and I must admit it's a fairly self-indulgent choice on my part, being Pink Floyd's Nobody Home from The Wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIEma4NAc9w

I would be interested to hear Don's take on this given how convincing he sounds as on world-weary songs such as Long Way Home and A Month Of Sundays and although some of the verse lyrics are specific references to Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett (the Hendrix perm and the satin shirt) and Rick Wright (the silver spoon on a chain) I am sure he would be able to do this justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    There is one song that I'd like to see Don Henley cover solo and I must admit it's a fairly self-indulgent choice on my part, being Pink Floyd's Nobody Home from The Wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIEma4NAc9w

I would be interested to hear Don's take on this given how convincing he sounds as on world-weary songs such as Long Way Home and A Month Of Sundays and although some of the verse lyrics are specific references to Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett (the Hendrix perm and the satin shirt) and Rick Wright (the silver spoon on a chain) I am sure he would be able to do this justice.
    Just listened to this - definitely would be interesting to hear Don's take on this song ....it would be kind of singing 'outside of the box' so to speak for him, as it doesn't seem like his usual type of song (had to put in the brickwall just for the wall reference )
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Border Desperado

Jackson Browne's "The Pretender"...I love that song and think that Don would nail it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I'd also have love to have heard Don Felder and Joe have a go at the closing guitar solos on Free Bird, in fact one thing I'd love would be for the Eagles to have performed Already Gone as usual and then when that song ends then start playing the Free Bird solos. It maybe wouldn't be the best for showcasing the other band members but the merged song created would be awesome IMO.

There is one song that I'd like to see Don Henley cover solo and I must admit it's a fairly self-indulgent choice on my part, being Pink Floyd's Nobody Home from The Wall
    I love Joe but I'm turned off by indulgent guitar solos. Especially widdly fingered indulgent guitar solos. In fact I think I love Joe because he steers clear of widdly fingered guitar solos. There's a great Walsh quote, "Albert King could blow Edward Van Halen off stage with his amp on stand by"

Henley's voice could do justice to any song. His duets are always worth a listen. I'm always surprised when he falls below the fantastic standard. He's sung on one of Roger Water's solo tracks. I'd love to hear his cover of David Gray's, Disappearing World.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I've mentioned these before in other threads, but I think they would have done a great job with Pure Prairie League's Amie. Also, a cover Poco's Rose of Cimarron would have been a great addition to the Desperado album, IMO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I would have liked to see them take up Glenn's idea of doing songs by their influences. That came to nothing except that a very lucky select few of us got to hear him sing Buffalo Springfield's On The Way Home; three times in my case.

As that didn't happen if they were to do a song by another artist I would rather they avoided the country rock stereotype. What that means is I would like them to do anything by the Beatles.

JCL, I was listening to Looking For A Love the other day. It's fine as it goes but why not something a bit more left field, even Pocahontas or Thrasher if it has to be a ballad?