Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: So are they breaking up?!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: So are they breaking up?!

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    If Roger and Brian's current Queen show is performed to half empty venues, I'm sure they'll both consider wrapping it all up but if there is still a demand to see them, I don't see a problem with them continuing. They obviously still love doing it and what elseare they gonna do? the audiences still seem to to love it too. Remember, attendance is optional, you can completely ignore them if you wish. You'd have to be a bit of a grump to spoil their fun.

Same for the Eagles. If Irving is still employed as the Eagles manager, he's kinda obliged to present them with projects to consider. There is a question of authenticity but the Eagles regularly changed line ups throughout their career.

I'm sure the Eagles fans in the 70s would have been firmly against the band appearing on stage with the comfort blanket of a huge team of backing musicians but it hasn't affected their popularity or sale-ability.

Both Don and Joe have said, they hope that their best material is in front of them. They'll certainly get more new music done working separately rather than as a team but I almost expect Irving to have them all, including Tim and Bernie, together again at some point in the future.

I can see a demand for the considered, Hotel California tour that Henley talked about. J.D. Souther was the prime writer of New Kid In Town, so he could stand in for Glenn as Jackson did at the Grammys. I presume they had considered some options for Meisner's Try And Love Again. Felder may even be considering a Hotel California anniversary tour of his own.

It's still much too close to Glenn's loss for serious consideration.
    It is not 'fun' without Glenn. Once again you completely underestimate his importance. He may have meant nothing to you, but for millions he cannot be replaced. This is not just another 'lineup change'.

I do not see Irving as obliged to do anything. The band doesn't exist any more, it's that simple. I don't know why it is so hard to understand.

Furthermore Henley clearly stated in his interview that there would now be no Hotel California tour. Argue this all you wish; it is certainly your right to do so. I won't respond to any future posts of this type.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-11-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    It is not 'fun' without Glenn. Once again you completely underestimate his importance. He may have meant nothing to you, but for millions he cannot be replaced. This is not just another 'lineup change'.

I do not see Irving as obliged to do anything. The band doesn't exist any more, it's that simple. I don't know why it is so hard to understand.

Furthermore Henley clearly stated in his interview that there would now be no Hotel California tour. Argue this all you wish; it is certainly your right to do so. I won't respond to any future posts of this type.
    UMM THAT"S A LITTLE HARSH DON"T YOU THINK. IT's STILL TO EARLY TO DECIDE. There will not be anymore albums or tours as THE EAGLES that is clear. But what Funk 50 suggested is like a tribute concert as I see it so no reason to get so emotional over a post that was just speculating. Plus Henley said I don't think or I think so there is that IF. Look at Led Zeppelin they broke up after John Bonham's death and that situation is very similar to what the Eagles are going through right now. But when they did reunite in 07 they had John Bonham's son Jason on the drums and played with the utter most respect and he is the only person who can ever play in place of John. So if the guys ever decided to do that one off they need to find someone who can play glens parts without disrespect and I think it should be either Jackson Browne or JD Souther. But we don't know.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    UMM THAT"S A LITTLE HARSH DON"T YOU THINK. IT's STILL TO EARLY TO DECIDE. There will not be anymore albums or tours as THE EAGLES that is clear. But what Funk 50 suggested is like a tribute concert as I see it so no reason to get so emotional over a post that was just speculating. Plus Henley said I don't think or I think so there is that IF. Look at Led Zeppelin they broke up after John Bonham's death and that situation is very similar to what the Eagles are going through right now. But when they did reunite in 07 they had John Bonham's son Jason on the drums and played with the utter most respect and he is the only person who can ever play in place of John. So if the guys ever decided to do that one off they need to find someone who can play glens parts without disrespect and I think it should be either Jackson Browne or JD Souther. But we don't know.
    He didn't suggest a tribute concert. He suggested, as he has done several times, that the band continue. Please read the paragraph above the Hotel California tour paragraph again. Read the first paragraph again. Also, a Hotel California tour would not be a 'tribute' and I repeat, Henley unequivocally stated 'that won't be happening now'. That was a separate statement to 'I don't think we'll play together again'.

It is not just about playing Glenn's parts. It is about SINGING them.

Am I emotional about this? Damn right.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-11-2016 at 06:34 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I'll start with the obvious - having a band member die when you're nearly seventy is very different to when you're in your forties. It's a reminder to make the most of their remaining time.

They probably all feel pretty emotional about it, including Azoff. My impression is that he was very close with Glenn in later years as they shared interests beyond the band. They don't have the luxury of time to get over it.

Then there's their reputation. That's important to Don. Going out at the top rather than limping along with a substitute.

Besides, Irving will still be working with their catalogue, looking for new ways to exploit it.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Then there's their reputation. That's important to Don. Going out at the top rather than limping along with a substitute.
    100% agree with this. A tribute concert could happen in the future, maybe. IMO those kinds of one-off things aren't out of the realm of possibility. Touring, new material, anything as "Eagles"? Hell no. As said before, this is way more than just a lineup change.
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

Maybe this might help some people realise that the Eagles are over

http://bestclassicbands.com/don-henl...again-3-11-16/

As a side note, if Irving wants to exploit the back catalogue, I think a box set of all their tours would be good (it's probably good guess that they recorded all of their tours over the years..)
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'll start with the obvious - having a band member die when you're nearly seventy is very different to when you're in your forties.
    Thanks for posting this. It's what comes to my mind every time someone suggests that they continue like (insert band's name here) did.

I knew the Eagles were over on January 18. After listening to Don Henley's latest interview, for those of us who wanted closure by seeing them pay tribute to Glenn, it appears that the Grammy performance was it. I guess if it's good enough for them, it's got to be good enough for me.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    If Roger and Brian's current Queen show is performed to half empty venues, I'm sure they'll both consider wrapping it all up but if there is still a demand to see them, I don't see a problem with them continuing. They obviously still love doing it and what elseare they gonna do? the audiences still seem to to love it too. Remember, attendance is optional, you can completely ignore them if you wish. You'd have to be a bit of a grump to spoil their fun.

Same for the Eagles. If Irving is still employed as the Eagles manager, he's kinda obliged to present them with projects to consider. There is a question of authenticity but the Eagles regularly changed line ups throughout their career.

I'm sure the Eagles fans in the 70s would have been firmly against the band appearing on stage with the comfort blanket of a huge team of backing musicians but it hasn't affected their popularity or sale-ability.

Both Don and Joe have said, they hope that their best material is in front of them. They'll certainly get more new music done working separately rather than as a team but I almost expect Irving to have them all, including Tim and Bernie, together again at some point in the future.

I can see a demand for the considered, Hotel California tour that Henley talked about. J.D. Souther was the prime writer of New Kid In Town, so he could stand in for Glenn as Jackson did at the Grammys. I presume they had considered some options for Meisner's Try And Love Again. Felder may even be considering a Hotel California anniversary tour of his own.

It's still much too close to Glenn's loss for serious consideration.

Lol..I'm far from a grump, and I do basically ignore them....but that's just my opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    I look at it as music is subjective.Not everyone is going to like the way a certain groups music sounds and I'm cool with that.
    I might even like the collaboration they might come up with.
    I guess my point is that if it doesn't appeal to me I'm not going to listen to it.
    Heck, I gave the Paul Rogers collab a chance and I liked it !
    We will just have to wait and see what transpires in the future I guess.

Stuck on the Border

IMHO the way we look at rock/pop musicians (as opposed to other professions) is distorted. When other people have been retired for a few years we expect rock/pop musicians to renew their careers with even more innovation and excitement. Even if Glenn was still alive (IMO) it would be selfish of me to expect them to continue for a few more years. They have other lives too - the Eagles is just part of it. And they are approaching seventy!

Rock fans just want more, more, more and we expect "our band" to be the most important part of the band members' lives too even when they are seventy. When most people have been retired for ten years we expect rock musicians to spend time together thinking how they can make the band they formed 40-50 years ago even better. We are spending time with our own families, while expecting our heroes to be away from their families, still playing music together as a gang.

When the original KISS reunited in the mid-90's, it was great seeing them together again for a while, even though they weren't very good. Instead of remembering that era with a smile many KISS fans speculate whether Criss and/or Frehley will join the band AGAIN. More, more, more.

And now the leader of a band that was formed over forty years ago is dead and we still expect them to continue? I'm not saying that we shouldn't want rock/pop musicians who are way past retirement age to continue. I'm saying that we shouldn't expect it.
    Last edited by chaim; 03-12-2016 at 02:19 AM.

Banned

If the Eagles decide to work together again, under any moniker, I'd be delighted.

Henley's comments, on the BBC, about the Eagles future were considerably less definite than, the Eagles will reunite when Hell Freezes Over.

I don't underestimate the importance of Glenn to the Eagles but it's a fact of life, nobody is irreplaceable.

Thanks for the cheery reply, Girl From Yesterday

I know it's a terrible time for Frey fans but I live in the hope that, what's to come is going to be better than what's past.