Page 40 of 129 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Quote Originally Posted by JanetteG View Post
    Hello from the UK. I'm a little late posting here because Glenn's death hit me so hard, I took a while to process my feelings. I'm a novelist and journalist who usually writes for publications like "The Times" and "BBC Music Mag" on classical music and opera but when I heard the announcement of Glenn's death, I was parachuted back into the past, to my youth in the 70s and a musical world that had a power and depth of emotion that I had forgotten I could feel. There was no other group quite like the Eagles - no sound that could paint a whole era, a landscape the way they did. If Bowie could show us how it appeared, how it looked to be a human being, Glenn and the Eagles told us how it felt.

Perhaps that is why Glenn's death devastated me - and I think has hit many of us harder than we would ever have imagined. These past few weeks, I found out that I am still 20 years old in my heart - no matter how sophisticated I thought I and my tastes were. I've written about this at greater length on a classical music blog that I keep. I need to share these feelings because they have taken me by surprise. I hope they bring some comfort to some of you :http://janettegriffithsonwagner.blogspot.co.uk
    Magnfiicent.

You made me want to dedicate Ride Of The Valkyries to him. (By the way I liked your piece on the use of the Siegfried Idyll on the Tube).

When I did an iTunes memorial playlist I included Barber's Adagio for Strings & Pachelbel's Canon. I didn't think of Wagner. But 'Ride' is what Glenn's free spirit is, wherever he is now, riding high & free.

Out on the Border

Thanks Freypower. I chuckled through tears when I read just after Glenn's death that a commenter, on a Youtube thread I think, wished for Valkyries to carry him up to Valhalla. And why not? I'm glad you liked the article. As I said I just needed to share some surprisingly fierce feelings. Warmest wishes - i'd be interested to hear your final memorial music list.

Stuck on the Border

Thanks Freypower. I chuckled through tears when I read just after Glenn's death that a commenter, on a Youtube thread I think, wished for Valkyries to carry him up to Valhalla. And why not? I'm glad you liked the article. As I said I just needed to share some surprisingly fierce feelings. Warmest wishes - i'd be interested to hear your final memorial music list.
    There were 100 songs & I did actually post a screenshot in another thread which I have since deleted.

Out on the Border

Default Re: The Eagles' Last Heartbeat

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968 View Post

Can I just say how much I loved that, Janette? You just summed it up for a whole slew of people.
    I wish I had your way with words.

And "Watching the old concert footage makes one just despise the concept of time?" Whoever wrote that just nailed it, too. I completely agree.

I agree about that line. I am trying to remember where I saw it. Thanks for your kind words. Having a way with words is my job. But this time the words were written through a lot of tears. I hope I managed to make some sense of this sad time for us all. Warmest wishes.

I had a very bittersweet dream last night. I was at a Glenn Frey solo show at a very intimate seaside venue. You could see he was hurting a bit, but that he was gonna rock his way through the entire show. He did and it was amazing. Afterwards, I commented to my daughter, who had gone to the show with me, that it just showed how you can't trust what you read on the internet. Obviously, those rumors about Glenn's death were untrue.

We left the venue and I sort of drifted toward consciousness. As I woke up, I was happy that all those awful rumors were false...until I remembered that it was in fact the dream that wasn't real. I was crushed all over again.

I wanted to share with all of you because I knew you'd understand.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yes - we do understand, WE!

And WOW - if we could make dreams come true, that one would have to be at the top of the list.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Default Re: The Eagles' Last Heartbeat

a link to my article on Glenn and the deep sadness of his passing. http://janettegriffithsonwagner.blogspot.co.uk
    So completely beautiful and insightful. sooo true.

Quote Originally Posted by Windeagle View Post
    I had a very bittersweet dream last night. I was at a Glenn Frey solo show at a very intimate seaside venue. You could see he was hurting a bit, but that he was gonna rock his way through the entire show. He did and it was amazing. Afterwards, I commented to my daughter, who had gone to the show with me, that it just showed how you can't trust what you read on the internet. Obviously, those rumors about Glenn's death were untrue.

We left the venue and I sort of drifted toward consciousness. As I woke up, I was happy that all those awful rumors were false...until I remembered that it was in fact the dream that wasn't real. I was crushed all over again.

I wanted to share with all of you because I knew you'd understand.
    Aw. Now that's a dream we all wish would come true.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Can it get much sweeter than the 9th grade girlfriend he kept in touch with for the next 50 years? There's a photo of her on the website.
    Months before the Eagles released “Take it Easy” in 1972, Glenn Frey performed the song on a second-hand guitar for a former high school girlfriend in Royal Oak.

Nanci Kezlarian had just finished graduate school when her ninth-grade boyfriend, now an emerging rock star, stopped in for a visit.

“I had a guitar I bought at garage sale,” said Kezlarian, 67, who is now a therapist in Brentwood, Calif. “He told me to bring it up from the basement. He said, ‘Let me play you a song we’re working on’ and played ‘Take it Easy.’ It was in our family room on Hendrie Boulevard. I loved it.”

Frey, who died last month, stayed in touch with a number of his former Dondero High School classmates over the years. The naming of Glenn Frey Drive next to his old high school --now Royal Oak Middle School -- inaugurated a trip down memory lane this week for those who knew him.

The official unveiling of the newly named street Thursday was planned with WCSX - 94.7 FM personality Jim O’Brien, who promised a girl in a flatbed Ford to evoke the lyrics of “Take it Easy.”

Months after Frey’s family-room rendition of the Eagles early hit, he sent Kezlarian a postcard reminding her of the song.

“Now its number 23 in the nation and headed to the top 5 and a million records sold,” Frey wrote. “We’re touring with Jethro Tull, Procol Harum. It’s incredible. Love, Glenn.”

Kezlarian still has the postcard and a handful of letters Frey sent her. She last saw him at her Brentwood home in 2012.

She and fellow 1966 Dondero graduates Phil Moore and Bob Wilson got together this week in California to attend an invitation-only memorial tribute to Frey with his wife and others.

Wilson, a longtime friend of Frey’s who played with him in his high school band “The Subterraneans,” said Frey used to come back to Michigan in the early years and sometimes later on in his career.

“He had a fondness for Michigan,” said Wilson, who lives in Oxford. “And he had friends here like Bob Seager, Punch Andrews and the attorney Howard Arnkoff.”

Early on, it was apparent Frey had a deep interest in music and the determination to make things happen.

“He had leadership skills and he was fun,” Wilson said. “More than anything, Glenn Frey was fun.”

Frey made a point of visiting his friends at schools where they worked. He played piano and sang songs when Kezlarian was a teacher in the 1970s at West Bloomfield High School in Orchard Lake.

He also made in-person financial donations to the Upland Hills School in Oxford, an independent school for students ages 4 to 14, which Moore cofounded more than 40 years ago.

“He gave his time, talent and treasure to our school so that it would flourish -- and it did,” Moore said.

In addition to writing checks and visits to Upland Hills, Frey donated some of his guitars for auction so that students at the school could make a trip to Mexico several years ago.

Moore met Frey when they were 13 years old and involved in wrestling at the former Clara Barton Junior High School. They sat waiting with their opponents before bouts. Frey sized up Moore’s opponent then spoke to Moore.

“That guy looks like he could eat you for lunch,” Frey told him, and a friendship was born.

Years later when Frey was ready to make a donation to Moore’s school he showed up and talked with his former classmate.

“He said, ‘You don’t even have to wrestle me for it -- here’s my checkbook,” Moore recalled.

Frey met up with his old Dondero school friends at Kezlarian’s house in Brentwood a few times over the last eight years, but spurned email and sent written letters instead.

“He left the world better than he found it,” Moore said. “He believed he had done exactly what he set out to do.”

Frey lived in Brentwood after he started his family in the 1990s but moved to New York in 2012, the last year the former Dondero friends got together.

“Glenn wasn’t the type to hang out with a lot of celebrities,” Kezlarian said. “He was paying more attention to his inner self.”

Among the mementos she keeps is a copy of a menu from the former Golden Griddle Pancake House in Royal Oak. She wrote the date, April 15, 1963, on the menu at the time.

That was the day she and Frey ate there on their first date.

Frey was her first boyfriend and his mother, Nellie, drove the young couple to their stops that day.

“We went to play miniature golf, which was popular back then,” Kezlarian said. “This year will be the 50th anniversary of our graduating class from Dondero. It’s so painful for me know I’m never going to see Glenn again.”
    http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...NEWS/160219453
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 02-19-2016 at 05:44 AM.

Thanks for that. Now I understand why, when he signed something for me for the first time, he asked me if I spelled my name with an "i" or a "y."

I had forgotten that this would have been his classes' 50th. What a shame he never made it. He talked a lot about them at Pebble Beach the second time.

I love, love, love the fact that he kept in touch with those people and continued to keep them in his life. I'm also glad Cindy had a private ceremony with them, too.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten