Page 77 of 129 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Someone else posted this article in the press/blogs thread, but I think it it belongs here as well.
    http://www.storytellersunplugged.com...our-world-now/

I'll post the relevant part of the article.

Q: [Newport Beach, CA]: …sorry for your loss [Glenn Frey], Sully. Another leftie creative genius is gone.

A: Left-handedness does seem to correlate or at least associate with creativity. However, Glenn was ambidextrous (which may be an even deeper association with creativity). He golfed, wrote and swung a baseball bat left but played guitar right-handed.

Q: [Many recent emails/messages ask if I was at the private memorial for Glenn Frey at The Forum in California which has been reported in the media and speculated about on fan blogs.]

A: Actually, it was styled as a celebration of Glenn’s life, and I was there. Celebration with music, celebration with stories and laughter, celebration with food – this was life lived large in the key of G(lenn). It was a little surreal, as if all walks of life had suddenly come together, as indeed they had.
    No pretenses, no putting on airs, no intrusive media. The invitation said that dress was Glenn Frey standard – “Jeans and a sport coat or a damn fine suit. Players choice!” And the quality of the communication, the music, and the table, as always with Glenn and Cindy Frey, was first-class plus.
    Picture DisneyWorld where the frontiers are all intermingled: one minute you’re chatting with Stevie Wonder, Don Henley or Kareem Abdul Jabbar and 15 minutes later it’s Randy Newman, Cameron Crowe or Paul Shaffer. The musical offerings culminated with a rockin’ finale that included the Eagles past and present, Bob Seger, Paul Stanley of KISS, Jackson Browne, JD Souther, and too many others to remember. But the number that got to me the most was the poignant last performance of “Desperado” – the signature song that brought Glenn and I together in the first place. I’d seen the grim and tragic (it seemed to me) presentation of that musical masterpiece the night before at the Grammys, and it suddenly struck me here at The Forum that this was the last time it would ever be performed with the remaining Eagles. There were the dimmed lights and the empty space where Glenn should have stood, and suddenly with the last fading chord the waves of shock and denial ended and I knew with crushing finality: Glenn was gone.
    It’s called closure, but it’s never that. Acceptance is what it is. Acceptance and celebration, which is what I felt sharing quality time at the Frey house the next day. Accomplished and capable Cindy Frey is a beacon of positive energy and honest emotion, and the younger Freys have left nothing untapped in the gene pool. Taylor’s muse has all the fire and pz-azz of Glenn’s muse, especially in her writing; Deacon can melt the hearts and rock the socks off any audience; and Otis will charm you with his candor and zest for life. America’s future and the Frey legacy are in good hands. Maybe Glenn said it best in one of his last songs, the eerily prophetic It’s Your World Now:
    “It’s your world now
    Use well the time
    Be part of something good
    Leave something good behind
    The curtain falls
    I take my bow
    That’s how it’s meant to be
    It’s your world now…”
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Thank you AG95. The linked article at the bottom is well worth the read also. I saw it was already linked earlier several pages ago, so I won't post any of it, but I will re-post the link:

http://www.thomassullivanauthor.com/.../02162016.html

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Wow. Thank you for posting that.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thank you thank you thank you. I have no words, very special newsletter.

Stuck on the Border

Bob Seger, talking about Glenn. This may be clips from old interviews, but still some stories that are new to me, like why Glenn was keen to sing background on "Against the Wind".

http://www.inthestudio.net/redbeards...red-bob-seger/

Thanks for posting those interviews. Fond memories of Glenn are always interesting. RIP Glenn. You are sadly missed by many

I hope this is okay to do, but if it's not for legal reasons, let me know. I took pics from my phone of the Life Magazine tribute for those who passed in 2016. Glenn was one of the people and they had Travis Tritt say something about him.

Same pic as the 2nd one but I just focused more on Glenn than capturing the whole image:

Stuck on the Border

Thank you for posting that. I'm going to extract a couple of bits (just in case your scans disappear).
    He was very down-to-earth, very well-grounded. Here was a guy who could easily have been arrogant, but he was totally the opposite. I’ve always admired anyone who can have so much success and remain humble. I’d think, “That’s the way it should be, and if he can be that way, why can’t I?”
    It's always heart-warming (and reassuring) to read something like that. It makes me feel that my trust is not misplaced. I know they were accused of arrogance back in the 70s but my suspicion is that a lot of that was bravado - putting on the game face. In interviews, even back then, he seemed to have a lot of self-awareness.

I would really like for everybody who reads this to go back and find every single piece of music that Glenn Frey was ever involved in and just listen and be reminded of what a great talent we’ve lost. But as incredibly sad as it is to lose him, the wonderful thing is that his music will live on forever.
    Hear! Hear!

Something that's become clear to me is that even without Don, Glenn's lyrics are good. They may lack the references to literature but they tell their story and hold together. I don't have to listen to "classic rock" playlists for long to realise that the majority of songs that were successful in that genre had pretty poor lyrics.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Thanks so much for posting that Rudie!!! Loved what Travis said about Glenn and the pic!!!
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I love to read things like that about him. I think I'll run out and purchase a copy for myself.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten