Page 70 of 129 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

I'm still on that hunt, without success but here are a couple of golf memories that have shown up. One is an extract from the Aspen Times but when I tried to find the original, I found it was no longer available nor were the other letters about Glenn.

Glenn Frey rocked. On stage and on the golf course.
    His music still provides an indelible, enduring soundtrack for generations of us.
    But his impact on a generation of young golfers in Aspen left an even more personal, lasting impression.
    “Glenn (Frey) gets all the credit,” said Doug Rohrbaugh, the former director of Aspen Junior Golf and now the head pro at Ironbridge Golf Club near Glenwood Springs. “It was the best thing for Aspen Junior Golf. He got heavily involved at a time when we needed it.”
    Rohrbaugh, one of Colorado’s most decorated PGA club pros, recalled that Aspen Junior Golf was headed for a major transition when race driver Danny Sullivan moved out of town and ended his sponsorship of a benefit golf tournament for Aspen Junior Golf, an event that set the stage with PGA pros like Greg Norman and a mix of celebrities — local and beyond.
    A member of the Aspen Junior Golf board knew Frey, and more importantly, knew of his incredible passion for golf.
    With some quick networking, Glenn Frey stepped in to sponsor a benefit golf tournament, not only for Aspen Junior Golf, but for his own local charity, the Aspen Grassroots Experience.
    “Golf Kids Hosted by Glenn Frey” was launched with a long and successful run of raising money for two of the Frey family’s Aspen favorites.
    And when he signed on, according to Rohrbaugh, he was as relentless as a rock promoter on tour.
    “This was a huge deal for him. He had a personal interest,” Rohrbaugh said. “And Cindy, too. Cindy (Frey’s wife) was just as much a part of it. They were always there and every bit involved.”
    Simply, Frey recruited stars and golfers with big checkbooks.
    “Glenn gets all the credit for getting Tiger Woods to come to Aspen,” Rohrbaugh said of Woods’ still-talked-about golf rounds at the Aspen Junior Golf benefit.
    At the height of his golfing glory, Tiger Woods made a pair of visits to Aspen to fulfill a promise he had made to Glenn Frey.
    “Tiger was in his prime then. That was a major coup,” Rohrbaugh said. “Everyone wanted a piece of him. But for us, it was huge.”
    Woods’ presence alone raised $400,000 in two years for the charities as benefactors bid to play a round with Tiger Woods in Aspen.
    Others, too.

http://www.ritson-sole.com/blog/glen...ian-in-a-band/

The second is about Pebble Beach 2002. Maybe it should go elsewhere, but it seems strange to post one here and one somewhere else.
    From the archive: Glenn Frey at the 2002 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
    By Dennis Taylor, Monterey Herald
    Posted: 01/18/16, 3:39 PM PST | Updated: on 01/18/2016
    0 Comments

Pebble Beach >> Neurologically speaking, Glenn Frey says there’s no comparison between rock ‘n’ roll and golf. Put him on a stage, in a sold-out stadium, with an open microphone, and 70,000 people awaiting his first sound, and he’s as cool as can be.
    “The difference is, I know what’s going to happen in that situation,” Frey said. “Put a guitar in my hands and I’m going to shoot a 66. I make a whole lot of birdies when I’m onstage.
    “This, on the other hand ... this is infinitely more difficult.”
    Those who tried to compete this week with Frey at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am will argue that Frey , the former lead singer for the Eagles, can riff and scat with a golf club, too. For the third time since 1997, Frey and pro partner Craig Stadler made a run at the team championship. For the second time since ‘99, they settled for second place.

Not bad, considering Frey carries a 17 handicap, second highest in the field.
    “A 17?” fellow rocker Alice Cooper wailed after Saturday’s round, during which Frey helped Stadler by seven strokes for a net-66 team score. “I play with Glenn , and he’s got the best short game out here. Either the 1 is wrong, or the 7 is wrong, but one of those numbers shouldn’t be there.”
    Nonsense, says Frey .
    “I’m a real 17. I’ll make six pars, six bogeys and six doubles out there,” he said. “Guys like me just sort of have to wait for the good holes. It’s not unlike songwriting: If you try too hard, you’re going to get all cramped up. Things have to just flow.”

Frey ‘s game was flowing throughout the first three days of competition, when he and Stadler combined for a net 192 — a whopping 24 strokes under par. Entering Sunday’s final round, only Brian Claar and Randall Mays (a 10 handicap) had done better at 27 under.
    But Frey and Stadler, who teed off almost 2 hours earlier than the Claar-Mays team, had caught their rivals by the 11th hole, and they were just warming up.
    On No. 11, Frey got up-and-down from the sand for a net birdie. On 12, Stadler rolled in a tricky four-footer for another bird. On 13, Stadler stuck his second shot two feet from the pin, and suddenly they were at minus-31 — leading the tournament by a stroke.

“I was scoreboard watching,” Frey admitted. “I had my eye on the board all day, watching to see where Claar and Mays were.”
    After their three-hole charge, Frey ‘s game took a bit of a dive and Stadler couldn’t help. They recorded four consecutive pars, then picked up their final birdie when Stadler, hitting into the wind, reached the 18th green with a driver and a 3-wood, then two-putted.
    “I think it’s really hard, especially for the amateurs, to stay focused for four days,” Frey said. “It’s not easy letting go of the bad shots, and accepting that you’re going to hit a few bad ones.”

Frey ‘s focus went south down the stretch. He found the sand on 14, 15 and 17, hit a bad third shot on 16, and skulled a 40-yarder on his second shot on 18, a swing that earned him a hug from his pro.
    “ Glenn hung in there. He held my butt up today, that’s for sure,” Stadler said. “He doesn’t hit the ball far enough for this course, especially in the wind, but he gets it up and down, makes some difficult putts and takes care of me out there.”
    For Frey and his partner, second place was a frustration. Three years ago, when the final round was rained out, they tied with two other teams for the Pro-Am lead at minus-22, but lost the title on a tiebreaker.

“But, hey, we had a great tournament,” Frey said. “There were about 160 guys who wished they were me when I was standing in that 18th tee box, in second place, playing on Sunday, in a group with three Tour pros. What could be better than that?”
    Editor’s note: Glenn Frey went on to win the inaugural Jack Lemmon Award in 2002, given to the amateur who helped his pro the most. Frey aided Craig Stadler 31 shots over 72 holes. Frey and Stadler finished only one stroke behind Brian Claar and amateur Randall Mays, a communications executive.
    http://www.montereyherald.com/articl...NEWS/160119780

Stuck on the Border

Found it!

Joe Henry

Like This Page · January 20 · Edited ·

early into my professional life, in 1992, i opened a tour for glenn frey. he invited me personally via our shared booking agency, though we had never met and his music was a foreign language to me.

i accepted, as it was the work in front of me to do; and it was a grueling tour for both of us: i had a band ill-suited to my intentions, and stood before audiences mystified by my presence. we were three to a motel room (at least once, three in a double bed), the drives brutal, and i was hemorrhaging money for the privilege; my faith in what i was doing slipping away from me like the muddy banks of a raging river.

for his part --ever-loyal to a big band and a bloated crew-- glenn found himself down-sizing shows from sheds to bars --sometimes on the very day of the show-- in response to low ticket sales and tepid interest in anything he did outside of the auspices of his extravagantly famous band.

yet he pushed on with kindness toward me. glenn watched nearly every set of mine from the wings, applauding sweetly as i slunk off the stage and past him, hungry for air and solitude.

one night in philly, when the evening's performance had been quickly moved from a 3,000-seat amphitheatre to a 300-seat venue in town, i stood alone in the wings stage-right, killing time, finishing a beer and waiting for glenn to begin his show before crawling into the van to get a jump on the night's wicked drive ahead. he usually entered from the opposite side; but suddenly there he was next to me in the dark. glenn looked out as i did upon a theatre still not half full, and i wasn't sure which of us might be more embarrassed by the prospects.

but glenn just threw an easy arm around my stooped shoulders, pulled leisurely on a fading cigarette, and said, "joe: five thousand or fifty...what do we care? we play for who comes."

and then he walked straight out into the light, arms raised and smiling, as if he really was beyond counting.
    https://www.facebook.com/JoeHenryLov...type=3&theater

Glenn played at The Theatre of Living Arts (capacity 800) on September 22 1992.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

UtW, thanks for posting these!

And once again I realize what a truly nice person Glenn was. For all the crap that some people have said about Glenn, in the end, those that knew him loved him and thought well of him.

Quote:

“He was softly spoken, polite, a true gentleman and in the little time we spent together it was easy to tell that the guy loved music.
    “And the world sure loved his.”

Yes they did.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Thanks for finding and posting those articles, UtW!

As a metal fan, I think that I'll like this new ep that will honor Glenn, Lemmy, and David Bowie.
    http://www.antimusic.com/news/16/Jul...n_New_EP.shtml
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    UtW, thanks for posting these!

And once again I realize what a truly nice person Glenn was. For all the crap that some people have said about Glenn, in the end, those that knew him loved him and thought well of him.

Quote:

“He was softly spoken, polite, a true gentleman and in the little time we spent together it was easy to tell that the guy loved music.
    “And the world sure loved his.”

Yes they did.
    Agreed, Brooke.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Found it!

https://www.facebook.com/JoeHenryLov...type=3&theater

Glenn played at The Theatre of Living Arts (capacity 800) on September 22 1992.
    Love this. Glenn was a true Artist; and a man of integrity, dignity, and genuine class. But most of all, a beautiful soul.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Totally agree with you too Brooke and thanks UTW for the all the articles. I saw that too AG and found that interesting. Always really cool to see artists in different genres be fans and inspired by those like Glenn since you wouldn't normally equate the two.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Thanks for these. They're quite a testament to him.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Yes, especially the Joe Henry one. It's very telling about someone's character when things aren't going their way and the tickets aren't selling, but Glenn still believed in what he was doing.

Stuck on the Border

Thomas Sullivan ("Sully") is a writer and a friend of Glenn's. He wrote about Glenn on his Facebook page, but he has also posted a longer piece as well as a little about the "Celebration of the life".

http://www.thomassullivanauthor.com/.../02162016.html

http://www.storytellersunplugged.com...our-world-now/

I think this is the same as the first one but in a nicer format but no photos.
    http://www.storytellersunplugged.com...lone-arranger/

You may need to keep the tissues close by.