Page 84 of 129 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

I'm so glad for you Soda and everyone that was able to go. It sounded like such a perfect way for all of you to honor Glenn and share it together.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I know I will never have the time or money to make the pilgrimage that you all have. But I so appreciate your making this trip and honoring Glenn as you have done. Thank you so much from those who were with you in spirit and share your loss.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Stuck on the Border

I agree with the two previous posts & I apologise for a couple of posts of mine earlier. They were not appropriate.

The song I downloaded by Mr Tempchin had the title There's No Goodbye, which I assume is the song he played. It's great you were able to see this & also to talk to him.

Today as most people know is the 18th for me. I wish I knew what to say but I'm afraid I don't. I miss Glenn. I have been dwelling on my own personal memories of the concerts I went to, especially that magical time at Niagara Falls, something I DID share with some Borderers. I'm just not very good at talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I thought about putting this in the Border Gathering thread, but I think it would be more appropriate here.

I spent the last weekend "remembering Glenn Frey" with some very special people: Brooke, Glennsallnighter, Houston Baby, Ive always been a dreamer, and Perfect Little Sister.

After Glenn died last year, I felt very sad that there was no way I could publicly mourn him. There was no memorial service open to the public, no tribute concert by what was left of the Eagles and his musician friends that we could attend. People around me didn't understand why I would be so upset about his death. I decided I wanted to do something public and significant to honor Glenn on the year's anniversary of his death. Hence, the "Border Gathering" in Los Angeles.

On Saturday, we went to Joshua Tree and to Cap Rock, where some of the photos for their first album were taken. There, we buried a time-capsule like box with letters to Glenn and items of special significance to us.

I wrote a letter to Glenn on the same stationary I used when I wrote my first fan letter to him in 2005, right after I'd become "hard core" and had created GlennFreyOnline. I never thought that a little over 11 years later, I'd be using it to write to him posthumously. It was several pages long, and yet it was terribly inadequate to convey all he meant to me. Still, it made me feel better to write it.

I also included a photo of me, PLS, Dreamer, and Glenn at Niagara Falls as well as a ticket stub from that night. Additionally, I slipped in a postcard I'd bought at Pebble Beach during one of those trips. Again, it made me feel better. We said some words, cried some tears, and I said a quiet prayer. I guess, in a way, it was our "memorial service."

On Sunday, after going to Dan Tana's and eating Glenn's favorite dinner, we went to see Jack Tempchin perform. He played a song he'd written for Glenn. I'm not sure what the title is - perhaps "I Never Had a Chance to Say Goodbye" - but it was lovely and brought on some more tears. It was a very appropriate way to end our trip.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow, on the memory of the day; my heart is full.
    That's wonderful, Soda! And what beautiful gestures, writing that letter and burying the "time capsule" box & eating Glenn's favourite meal at Dan Tana's. How cool that you got to see Jack Tempchin while you were there. I'm glad that you feel a little better. I hope the others did as well.

I don't know what I am going to do tomorrow either. I know that there will be tears 😭. There have already been some this week. Actually, they have never stopped, just gotten less frequent. It doesn't seem that it has been anywhere near a year. It seems that it was just a few months ago.

Again, I'm so glad that the six of you were able to make this trip.

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I thought about putting this in the Border Gathering thread, but I think it would be more appropriate here.

I spent the last weekend "remembering Glenn Frey" with some very special people: Brooke, Glennsallnighter, Houston Baby, Ive always been a dreamer, and Perfect Little Sister.

After Glenn died last year, I felt very sad that there was no way I could publicly mourn him. There was no memorial service open to the public, no tribute concert by what was left of the Eagles and his musician friends that we could attend. People around me didn't understand why I would be so upset about his death. I decided I wanted to do something public and significant to honor Glenn on the year's anniversary of his death. Hence, the "Border Gathering" in Los Angeles.

On Saturday, we went to Joshua Tree and to Cap Rock, where some of the photos for their first album were taken. There, we buried a time-capsule like box with letters to Glenn and items of special significance to us.

I wrote a letter to Glenn on the same stationary I used when I wrote my first fan letter to him in 2005, right after I'd become "hard core" and had created GlennFreyOnline. I never thought that a little over 11 years later, I'd be using it to write to him posthumously. It was several pages long, and yet it was terribly inadequate to convey all he meant to me. Still, it made me feel better to write it.

I also included a photo of me, PLS, Dreamer, and Glenn at Niagara Falls as well as a ticket stub from that night. Additionally, I slipped in a postcard I'd bought at Pebble Beach during one of those trips. Again, it made me feel better. We said some words, cried some tears, and I said a quiet prayer. I guess, in a way, it was our "memorial service."

On Sunday, after going to Dan Tana's and eating Glenn's favorite dinner, we went to see Jack Tempchin perform. He played a song he'd written for Glenn. I'm not sure what the title is - perhaps "I Never Had a Chance to Say Goodbye" - but it was lovely and brought on some more tears. It was a very appropriate way to end our trip.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow, on the memory of the day; my heart is full.
    That's lovely, Soda. I'm so glad you all got to experience that and say your own quiet, personal goodbye. I think your "memorial service" will give you continual peace, especially when you think of the time capsule that'll be your testament of your love for Glenn for eons. I know it wasn't easy for you to all take time out of your schedules, nevermind the cost of flights, meals, etc., but after all it was a labor of love. Well done, ladies. RIP Glenn.

Border Rebel

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pr...n-frey-w461128

Bob Seger's tribute song to Glenn. It's also available for free on his own website. It's simple, understated, and just beautiful.

Bob Seger has released a tribute song he wrote for Glenn as detailed below

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pr...n-frey-w461128

I'm glad that everyone had a peaceful experience at the border gathering in LA at the weekend and I hope it helps with the healing process.

I'm just posting one of my favourite pictures of Glenn in memory of him today
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

That was a beautiful song. Great job by Bob. I'm going to download it from his website when I get home tonight.

I just hope one day we get to hear the song Joe wrote for Glenn.

When I was Don's concert this past weekend, I thought about Glenn especially Wasted Time and New York Minute. I was getting teary when Don sang Wasted Time. Maybe because Glenn plays the piano on this song and that famous intro at the beginning. Then Don's line in NYM, "one day you're here, the next day you're gone." That line and song brings new meaning.

I raise my two glasses of tequila sunrise and pink champagne to the wonderful and talented Glenn Frey. Cheers Glenn. We love you, Glenn and we will never forget you.