Page 116 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1281

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Its a fabulous photo Soda, really clear. My goodness its so hard to believe its 3 years this week since we lost Glenn . I'm thinking about him a lot at the moment.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow - that was quite a moment, soda. Like so many times, I was there with you and he was so funny. I didn't realize you had such a great picture of it.

As for me, I have been thinking a lot about this anniversary coming up for quite a while now. I am lucky enough to have so many wonderful memories of Glenn. I cherish each and every one of them, but, of course, none can top the wonderful 2007 Niagara Falls trip that Soda and I wrote about earlier in this thread.

However, I'll go back to the near beginning - my 3rd Eagles concert ever in October 2005 where I got my very first 'up close and personal' show and, quite honestly, it turned out to be a life-changing experience. As a diehard fan since 1972, I had always pretty much shared my Eagles love equally between Don and Glenn. But, on this particular night, around the 2nd or 3rd song in, from my 3rd row center seat, I became totally mesmerized by Glenn - I mean, seriously, I could hardly take my eyes off of him the entire show. I'm guessing he may have noticed and here is part of what I wrote in my review of the show:

"But, then came the real deal - verified EYE CONTACT! Here's what lead up to it - none of which was planned, but some tips that we should never forget. First of all, I wore a bright sky blue shirt and whenever the stage lights came up, they were right on me, so I guess the shirt may have stood out. But the best stroke of luck was that there was a little 4 or 5 year-old girl sitting right next to me with her mom. Sometime late in the show Glenn acknowledged the little girl and was talking to her and making cute faces at her. During LITFL, was my major moment - Glenn was mouthing the words as usual and when he got to the line "she was too tired to fight about it" he stared directly at me through the whole line. I stared directly back, and then I pointed to myself and mouthed ME? at him - he looked back at me, pointed to his shirt, and mouthed "blue" indicating the color of my shirt. He made a quick face at me by squenching his nose and gave me a little grin. And I swear, I'll never be the same again".

It's kind of embarrassing how shallow I was, but if anyone is interested, you can find the link to my entire review of the show here. However, in spite of my shallowness, this night was the impetus for me to make up for lost time and I spent the next decade going to as many Eagles and solo shows as my bank balance and time schedule would allow. Thank you Glenn for so many awesome, mind-blowing memories. You will always be in my heart.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

You're not at all shallow Dreamer, he had that effect on so many people. He had the knack of making you feel special, like you were the only person in the place at the time. I had some of my own moments too over the last 9 years and particularly during some of his shows in 2014. Like you I've been thinking a lot about him over the last few weeks (although to be honest he never really leaves my thoughts). Last night, although it was only the 14th I was sitting in the same place that I was in at the same time, that awful Monday evening 3 years ago. at 22:11 (exactly the time Soda had texted me with the bad news) I just closed my eyes and said a silent prayer for him. He brought something extra to all our lives - I'm sure somewhere out there in that rock concert in the sky he knows it
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Funny! I remember seeing it before! It's nice to know he could have fun and be goofy yet still be a class act.
    Last edited by Brooke; 01-15-2019 at 04:15 PM.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I hadn't really thought about it being three years this week that he passed until I came here today. I remember where I was when I heard the news too. I had taken that day off work and gone furniture shopping. When I got home I saw a post on the internet about him being dead and thought it was a hoax like was going around at the time. But then I couldn't get in to the Border and that feeling of dread came upon me that it might be true. Sure enough, it was on the evening news. Such a sad day.

And this week two years ago a few of us met in LA for the memorial. A fun but bittersweet time, made wonderful by the friends I made there. to each of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I hadn't really thought about it being three years this week that he passed until I came here today. I remember where I was when I heard the news too. I had taken that day off work and gone furniture shopping. When I got home I saw a post on the internet about him being dead and thought it was a hoax like was going around at the time. But then I couldn't get in to the Border and that feeling of dread came upon me that it might be true. Sure enough, it was on the evening news. Such a sad day.
    The site was overloaded - too many hits. It crashed and was unavailable just when people needed it the most. I spent hours on the phone trying to get it back up but they kept telling me that a shared server simply couldn't handle the volume of traffic I was getting. I finally wound up purchasing a dedicated server. Not that it mattered at that point.

That was my first "notification," though I didn't realize it at the time - I'd suddenly received multiple emails with error messages indicating the Border had gone down and the sites had been overloaded. I had gotten on the phone to find out why when I was texted with the news.

And this week two years ago a few of us met in LA for the memorial. A fun but bittersweet time, made wonderful by the friends I made there. to each of you.
    to you, too!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Wow. What great memories! I never could make it to a show, mostly because I just couldn't afford the ticket prices, and I don't think Glenn ever did too many solo shows down here.

I was sitting in the newsroom at the paper where I worked, checking the AP newswires, as you routinely do at a paper. The first was what the AP calls a "Bulletin," which is usually just a one-sentence note. It read, "Glenn Frey, Eagles founder, dead at 67." I swear, I felt like someone dumped a bucket of ice water on me. Not five minutes later, an Alert moved, which is a tad more detailed. It said something like, "Glenn Frey, founder of the Eagles dies at 67 at Columbia University Medical Center in New York, N.Y." A brief obituary moved probably 10 minutes later. News organizations usually keep an obit on hand for celebrities so they can get something up at a moment's notice. Then the stories started uploading on all the news sites. I want to say CBS had the first one. I think they beat CNN.

This was fairly late in the afternoon, and I sort of sat there in a daze, just on autopilot to do what I needed to do. When I got home, I went to the office where we have our computers, pulled up LE on my playlist and just sobbed. When I saw the national news at 5:30, I was crying again. I think the hubs was a little concerned for my mental stability, but I couldn't help it.

Still love him. He and Paul McCartney saved my life on a few occasions when I was a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    This week is not going to be easy for any of Glenn's fans, friends, or family as we near the three year anniversary of his death.

Maybe we can share some happy Glenn memories this week.

The other day, I remembered how he goofed off during the Memphis 2013 show - he put on an Elvis wig and did all these poses! It was hilarious! The memory really put a smile on my face.

This is so awesome! Thank you, Soda!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I'm so glad we made this trip. I hope we can all get together again in the future. right back atcha!

There are only a few events in our lives that are so significant where we will always remember exactly where we were and what we were doing when it happened. For most of us here, Glenn's death is one of those times. Glenn may be gone, but he will never be forgotten.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I'm so glad we made this trip. I hope we can all get together again in the future. right back atcha!

There are only a few events in our lives that are so significant where we will always remember exactly where we were and what we were doing when it happened. For most of us here, Glenn's death is one of those times. Glenn may be gone, but he will never be forgotten.
    I thought about that as I was typing there, Dreamer. It was like 9/11 and President Kennedy's assasination, I'll always remember all the details of that day. My husband told me a while back that he doesn't think I've been quite the same since Glenn died. I still get a little sad and reflective when I hear his or the Eagles songs.