Page 61 of 129 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

A shorter version of this Facebook post by Andrew Kastner was posted on the Jack Mack Website. What this adds is the Glenn wanted to include "Somewhere Somebody" on "The Allnighter".
    A reminder of Somewhere Somebody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynVkl0_Mr70

The extra part:
    Glenn was like no other. He had all these nicknames like Sportecus because he was a sport fanatic. He also gave all of us what he called our monster names. I think mine was Dave. Your monster name was your alter ego. It was who you became when you were mind was slightly altered. Glenn had several; Duane, X and probably a few more. He was super smart and funny guy but man you didn’t want to be around him when he was pissed off.

While in the studio I wrote a song with one of my writing partners, Larry john Mcnally called Somewhere Somebody. We thought it might be perfect for Glenn so many months later I sent it to him and to my surprise he told me he wanted to record it for his Smugglers Blues album. The band put a lot of pressure on me to not let him do it because we were shopping a record deal since Warner Boros had just dropped us. In those days you needed a great song to get a deal and that one was our best. In hindsight I was foolish telling Glenn he couldn't record the song. I don’t think many people, if any, ever said “no” to him and I don’t think he thought very fondly of me for doing that. Lucky for us Aaron Neville recorded the song and had a number 1 AC hit with it. http://tinyurl.com/grwpu6d.
    The credits for the song are given as (Andrew Kastner, Larry McNally, Max Gronenthal). Larry McNally wrote "I love to Watch a Woman Dance".

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I just saw this on Fb. If it's already been posted, please disregard or move to the proper place. I get confused on all these threads about him.

http://societyofrock.com/glenn-frey-...-you-in-tears/
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I just saw this on Fb. If it's already been posted, please disregard or move to the proper place. I get confused on all these threads about him.

http://societyofrock.com/glenn-frey-...-you-in-tears/
    LOVE IT...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for posting those UTW and Brooke. We appreciate your diligence in finding new stuff.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

JCL found this and posted it in another thread. I thought I'd post it here as well since it is a tribute to Glenn written the day after he passed ...

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/music/news/a...ectid=11576209

Remembering Glenn Frey of The Eagles

Tuesday, 19 January 2016

By Tim Roxborogh

Who wears an Eagles shirt to a wedding!? We were all thinking it. Actually, a bunch of us were saying it too. Friends of mine were getting married in gardens next to a beach on New South Wales' Central Coast a couple of years back and amidst all the suits and gowns was a good Aussie bloke in jeans and a T-shirt.

But not just any T-shirt. A T-shirt of the biggest selling American band in history. A band whose sustained impact over five decades is so internationally huge that they were selling out stadiums in far-flung places like Australia and New Zealand as recently as nine months ago. A band who are now almost certainly no more. If I had a wedding today I think I'd have to find an Eagles T-shirt to wear.

I can't quite believe the news about Glenn Frey. The co-leader of that most American of bands - The Eagles - has died aged 67, his bandmates having released this statement on their website eagles.com:

"It is with the heaviest of hearts that we announce the passing of our comrade, Eagles founder, Glenn Frey, in New York City on Monday, January 18th, 2016. Glenn fought a courageous battle for the past several weeks but, sadly, succumbed to complications from Rheumatoid Arthritis, Acute Ulcerative Colitis and Pneumonia."

Coming just a week after David Bowie's death, this is a depressing (I want to say "crap") reminder for fans of popular music that their heroes who came of age musically in the 60s and early 70s are all pretty close in age. And that age is about 70.

Frey was one-half of the defining American songwriting partnerships of the 70s. Alongside joint Eagles bandleader Don Henley, the two of the them co-wrote the bulk of the most famous Eagles songs. Tracks like Desperado, Best Of My Love, Lyin' Eyes, One Of These Nights, Hotel California and New Kid In Town all bear the Henley & Frey writers' credit.

It's not that the other Eagles couldn't all sing and write too. Don Felder has a co-credit for Hotel California's famed guitar solo, Bernie Leadon's gorgeous Bitter Creek is my favourite barely-known Eagles song, it's Randy Meisner on Take It To The Limit and Timothy B. Schimdt on I Can't Tell You Why. And Joe Walsh, well everybody knows Joe Walsh.

But it was Henley and Frey who drove the band, controlling everything from its creative output to its finances to its personnel (with some considerable acrimony in the case of Felder). Henley and Frey weren't just good singers either. Frey has deferred to Henley as the more dynamic vocalist and when you consider just how deceptively soulful Henley's strongest vocals were, from the torchlight standard Desperado to the R&B-inflicted One Of These Nights to the late-period masterpiece Waiting In The Weeds, you realise Frey may've been both modest and had a point.
    Continued below.

Only it wasn't Henley who sang lead on Take It Easy, nor Tequila Sunrise, nor Peaceful Easy Feeling, nor Lyin' Eyes, nor New Kid In Town, nor Heartache Tonight. All Frey leads, all some of the most loved and most played Eagles songs. In Frey the Eagles possessed one of the smoothest voices in rock and a more country-styled yin to Henley's soul-influenced yang. And together they could sing harmony as well as anyone in the business. It wasn't enough for the vocals and harmonies to be good, for the Eagles they had to be perfect.

Imagine how Henley will be hurting right now, losing a brother in life and in harmony. This from a just released Don Henley statement that rollingstone.com have published:

"Glenn was the one who started it all," he wrote. "He was the spark plug, the man with the plan. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of popular music and a work ethic that wouldn't quit. He was funny, bullheaded, mercurial, generous, deeply talented and driven."

It's late March in 2013 on Australia's Central Coast and the wedding party has moved indoors to the surf club for the reception. Talk turns to the chap in the Eagles T-shirt with the bride and groom revealing they were in such a joyous nuptial blur they couldn't remember seeing him. We scan the room and he's not at the reception. Who was he? Was he just some guy? Did he get changed into a suit for the reception like some kind of wedding Batman? Did he hear me laugh at him and leave? I never found out.
    Wherever this mystery man is, whoever he is, I hope he's wearing that T-shirt again today. I love that band too mate. RIP Glenn Frey. From Don Henley, said just a few hours ago:

"Rest in peace my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some."

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    JCL found this and posted it in another thread. I thought I'd post it here as well since it is a tribute to Glenn written the day after he passed...

Only it wasn't Henley who sang lead on Take It Easy, nor Tequila Sunrise, nor Peaceful Easy Feeling, nor Lyin' Eyes, nor New Kid In Town, nor Heartache Tonight. All Frey leads, all some of the most loved and most played Eagles songs. In Frey the Eagles possessed one of the smoothest voices in rock and a more country-styled yin to Henley's soul-influenced yang. And together they could sing harmony as well as anyone in the business. It wasn't enough for the vocals and harmonies to be good, for the Eagles they had to be perfect.
    This person gets it. Glenn's vocals were every bit as loved by Eagle fans as Don Henley's. Glenn thought he should sing less because they had Don Henley. Even Glenn didn't get it. I hope he gets it now. I think he does.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    This person gets it. Glenn's vocals were every bit as loved by Eagle fans as Don Henley's. Glenn thought he should sing less because they had Don Henley. Even Glenn didn't get it. I hope he gets it now. I think he does.
    You're so right, PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I hope he did get it, is all I can say to that, but it's too late now.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I totally agree PM and it's so nice to see that. I always loved Glenn's voice and it was always so clear and never changed, and I agree about the contrast to Don's voice. That's probably why it sounded so great when they all sang together. I think he knows now too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

I was in two minds whether to post this. The bad bit is the writer has reached the conclusion, based on interviews rather than personal experience, that Glenn was a jerk. However, he also writes eloquently of why Glenn's music is important to him. Given that, I'm going with a link rather than a cut-and-paste.
    http://www.southernminn.com/scene/mu...d477413dd.html

I'm going to quote one line because it predicted something that didn't happen.
    Over the coming days you will no doubt read and hear some pretty distasteful things about Frey’s character.
    Instead, there have been many, many people writing about his kindness, generosity and humour. I wonder how many people have noticed that.