Page 107 of 129 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1281

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Border Rebel

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Thanks for the post Priscilla. I think I've read snippets of it before, but never the entire thing. Very interesting, especially seeing how everyone's memories of an event differ.

I moved the posts about To The Limit to the Eagles Books thread because it looked like we were getting a discussion going there... it's certainly a controversial book in some ways.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by priscillaupstate View Post
    I might have seen this here but if not this is an oral history of Laurel Canyon by musicians in the early 70s. Glenn is quoted.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/20...on-music-scene
    Love this! I read Glenn's snippets, but the whole article is pretty long. Must come back and read the rest when I have more time. Thanks Priscilla!

And way to go Don for that donation!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Here's a video from CBS This Morning that talks about . Some nice pictures shown. Stop the video at 1:50. You get to see the whole letter.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.c...land-purchase/

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thanks for posting Shun - unfortunately all I can get is a picture after which it greys out but I did get some text. Well done to Don
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Out on the Border

Since Glenn and Bob Seger will forever be linked in my mind, there's a few things that one will always remind me of the other. Since I live in the Shoals, they both have strong, long-lasting ties here.
    Here's 10 reasons why...

1. Both were Michigan boys who headed south in the early 70's and landed in Sheffield, Alabama at about the same time.

2. Glenn encouraged Bob to record his Beautiful Loser LP in Sheffield. "He (Glenn) came and heard my Beautiful Loser stuff. If he hadn't come, seriously, I probably would have put out another record like Seven, basically all rock & roll, with maybe one ballad. But Frey liked it all. He said, 'Go with it, man. Do something diverse. And ever since then, I been doing it.' " It established an important pattern for Seger's work — the ballads were done with the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section, the rockers with the Silver Bullet gang.

3. Both were fans of and friends with local guitarist, Eddie Hinton. Glenn credits him with teaching him the fingerings of Chinese Soul that you hear in songs on the No Fun Aloud album. Eddie was a tragic figure in so many ways. The slight he received on the Staple Singers song, I'll Take You There seemed to sum up his career when Mavis "Little" David Hood during his bass part and Barry Becket's keyboards. When Eddie does his smooth guitar solo she calls him "daddy" because Pops normally played guitar. Glenn and Eddie spent a lot of time on the tiny back porch of that little studio playing guitar.

4. Glenn was in town to contribute some great guitar playing on Seger's Let It Shine on the Stranger In Town album.

5.Glenn, Don and Timothy came down to sing backing vocals on Fire Lake from the Against The Wind LP.

6. It was also around the time Bob co-wrote Heartache Tonight with Glenn.

7. Glenn co-wrote That Girl with Bob, probably while producing Lou Ann Barton's underappreciated album Old Enough.

8. My cousin had engineered all of Bob's hits and he took the controls on No Fun Aloud.

9.Around that same time, Bob was there recording the last song of his 10 year run at Muscle Shoals Sound, Coming Home. Tear jerker.

10. The Allnighter and Soul Searchin' ended Glenn's run in Sheffield. I never thought that would be the final times the two of them would come back but due to Glenn's death and Bob's health, it may really be over.

@kperk014: What awesome memories! I'm also from North Alabama -- about 40 miles east of the Shoals -- and I'm so incredibly proud of the legacy of great music that's come from FAME and Jackson Highway!

Thanks so much for sharing your stories here!

This is from Patti Davis’ blog written right after Glenn passed away. It’s short but sweet. I also posted the link in Bernie’s press thread.

Bernie and I wrote a song together for the Eagles album One of These Nights; it’s called I Wish You Peace. It’s the last song on the album. I remember in Florida when they were recording the album and I was there with Bernie, Glenn — bouncing a basketball in the driveway outside the studio — said to me, “It’s a nice song.” I wish I’d told him then how much that meant to me. We end up with a lot of wishes as we get older — things we didn’t say or do. But hopefully it makes us slow down a bit, and think more deeply about every day we are given. Because we finally see how quickly the currents of life move. RIP Glenn.
    http://booksbypattidavis.com/when-we-were-young/

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Patti Davis
    Glenn — bouncing a basketball in the driveway outside the studio — said to me, “It’s a nice song.” I wish I’d told him then how much that meant to me.
    Oh, that's lovely. And I'm glad Glenn shares my opinion of "I Wish You Peace"!

Thanks for posting that.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Today marks the 2nd anniversary of Glenn’s death. To commemorate the date, I made this collage with photos of some tributes to Glenn following his passing.

You will always be in our hearts, Glenn. May you rest in eternal peace.
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 01-11-2020 at 12:39 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016