Page 109 of 129 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1281

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Today marks the 2nd anniversary of Glenn’s death. To commemorate the date, I made this collage with photos of some tributes to Glenn following his passing.

You will always be in our hearts, Glenn. May you rest in eternal peace.
    Love it, Dreamer.

It's always very hard for me to express myself on days like this - strange, since I have a PhD in English! I always thought I'd wax poetic and write him a stellar tribute... but no. My words all seem grossly inadequate to communicate what I'm feeling, and my eloquence deserts me.

So I'll just say I miss you, Glenn.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Today we remember a beautiful man---a beautiful smile, a beautiful voice, a beautiful soul.
    We will love you always, Our Glenn.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

My first post on here was on the first anniversary of Glenn's death, and now that another year has gone by, I've been thinking of what to say, and I don't think I can put it better than I did then.

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    Hello everyone...I've been a member of this site for a while, but I've never posted anything before. On the anniversary of Glenn's death, I wanted to share my story and my thoughts with you all.

I'm 30 years old, younger than the typical Eagles fan. While I have always been a fan of music that was before my time (I've liked The Beatles and Queen since I was 5 years old), I had never been much of an Eagles fan before. My mom had played Eagles music for me when I was growing up, so I was aware of them and I knew some songs, but I wasn't a big fan. Even then, though, as a child, I found Glenn's voice soothing and comforting.

After Glenn died, my mom wanted to get the Dead Dog Records arc of Wiseguy on DVD. As you probably know, that arc, with Glenn in it, isn't available on DVD. I love Wiseguy and have always wanted to see the rest of the show, so I was game, and bought a bootleg copy. I knew I'd like the show (it is a great show and if you haven't seen it, you should), but what I wasn't prepared for was Glenn Frey. The second he appeared on the screen, I was transfixed. After getting through Wiseguy and watching the tribute to him at the Grammys, I was curious to see what he looked like when he was younger. I looked at pictures and watched a few youtube videos. I was in awe. I had never seen such a good-looking man, or anyone so cool, in my life.

As the year went on, I watched, read, and listened to everything related to Glenn and the Eagles that I could get my hands on. Since then, I've become a huge Eagles fan, in awe of their music, their lyrics, and their harmonies. No band or artist has ever resonated with me this much, like it speaks to my very soul. I regret that I didn't appreciate his talent and the brilliance of the Eagles sooner, so that I could have seen them in concert.

It is a strange feeling, to feel so sad for someone's passing, when you were not that aware of them when they were alive. It truly makes my heart ache to know that he is no longer on this planet. Barely a day has gone by that I haven't thought of him. I still find his voice soothing and comforting, but now there is sadness, too. In my religion, you light a candle on the eve of a loved one's death, and it burns for 24 hours, in honor of their memory. I lit one for Glenn last night, even though it is usually reserved for family members. It just feels so personal. I cannot imagine the day when I will not miss this sweet, wonderful, beautiful man. RIP Glenn, we miss you.
    A year later, nothing has changed for me. I lit a candle for Glenn last night and I'm going to watch his Wiseguy episodes tonight - where it all started for me. We miss you and love you, Glenn, forever.

Great collage, Dreamer! And I love that picture as well, Pippin!

Thanks for the music, Glenn!!

Phil Galdston, Glenn Frey and students of Songwriters Forum

L to R: Dr. Ron Sadoff; AJ Smith (Class of 2012 and 2014; Tiger Darrow (Class of
    2015); Glenn Frey; Peter Wise (Class of 2014); Phil Galdston

Phil Galdston, Glenn Frey, Jimmy Webb

Phil Galdston and Glenn Frey at the Songwriters Hall of Fame Master Sessions
    @ NYU

-----------

When I reflect upon Glenn Frey's amazing talent and career I don't just think about the music -- I think about Glenn, as a teenager chasing his dreams in Royal Oaks, Michigan then following them to the west coast where ultimately his dreams would come true far beyond his wildest imagination. The Eagles were born in S. Cal and it is there he met a beautiful lady named Cindy who would become his wife and the mother of his beloved 3 children. His wife and kids brought Glenn his greatest joy and his close relationship with his parents and life long relationship with childhood friends, collaborators and other musicians speaks volumes of his character. Glenn was hard working, loved to joke around, and had a very generous spirit. In essence Glenn was a good guy who never took his good fortune for granted. He appreciated and respected fans. Over the span of 4+ decades he never stopped striving to meet his own high expectations and demands whether it was in the studio making a record, on the road touring, performing for charity. He insisted on delivering the very best.

In later years Glenn discovered a passion for teaching and working with budding musicians and songwriters. His lectures and mentoring/teaching at NYU Steinhardt was particularly rewarding for Glenn and his students. Seriously, what an amazing opportunity - can you imagine having a conversation about music and song writing with Glenn Frey?

Here is what one former student wrote:

"The biggest takeaway from working with Glenn was his passion for the craft of songwriting, and the work required to create a great song. This attention to detail and focus on a consistent and cohesive narrative is something that really pushed me as a writer, and I owe it to Glenn and the NYU songwriting program for this awareness. I'm so grateful to Glenn for his willingness to share his time and wisdom with us.”

Peter Wise
    Class of 2014

Remembering Glenn Frey, NYU Steinhardt

https://steinhardt.nyu.edu/news/2016...ey_Remembrance

My personal takeaway is the true legacy of Glenn Frey isn't the Eagles - the music or the songs. Glenn reached for the stars and became one. Forever.
    Last edited by Dawn; 01-18-2018 at 03:57 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I feel similar to Soda in that anything I say feels like it is inadequate today, which is why I decided to make the collage instead. I want to thank everyone for their compliments. And for those of you who want to pay tribute to Glenn today whether it is with words or pictures, I truly appreciate each and every one of your heartfelt posts.

My collage recognizes a few of the public tributes to Glenn, but I thought this might be a good time to revisit some of us Borderers more personal tributes to Glenn too. I'll start with kind of a combination of public and personal tributes, which was the Royal Oak pilgrimage that Soda, Glennsallnighter, and I made over a long weekend in May, 2016. You can read the entire thread here, but I'll go ahead and recap the highlights ... We planned the trip around the Detroit Music Awards in which they performed a tribute to Glenn and also were able to visit Glenn Frey Drive and drive by Glenn's childhood homes on Wyandotte and Catalpa Streets (actually his home on Wyandotte has been torn down and an interstate highway has replaced it ). We also drove to Cleveland to see Glenn's tribute and the Eagles exhibits at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Anyway, GA posted some pictures in the thread, but unfortunately, they are no longer there due to the Photobucket debacle. We'll have to see about getting those replaced. However, she did post a video that she took of Glenn's DMA tribute that you can still view on YouTube ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X1e78P_uvg

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Thanks to Dreamer for the collage & to everyone else for their heartfelt words.

(Of course the anniversary was in fact yesterday for me. This can be annoying on occasion).

I only have After Hours photos on imgur.com so here are a couple of those:

Last edited by Freypower; 01-18-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Dreamer, what a wonderful collage. Thank you for sharing it!

There's not much I can add to what has already been posted about Glenn. I never got to meet Glenn in person, but I've been a fan since the very beginning of the Eagles. I think I feel his loss now, 2 years later, even more than I did back then. I tend to tear up if I think about him too much. I've been remembering our Borderers trip to LA at this time last year these past few days and that special memorial we did for Glenn at Joshua Tree National Park. Such a special time. Still can't really believe he's gone. I hope many people have come to find out what a truly special person he was through the many heartfelt tributes since his death. He was a woman's man and also a man's man and a kind and generous man. And such a talent!

I know I'll miss him forever, but thank goodness, we have his music!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I took this one on August 5 1988 when I first saw Glenn with the Little River Band & it's special to me for somewhat obvious reasons. It is now on GFO along with the other photos I took:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/photo...earchinera.htm

Great photos, FP! And he's looking right at you!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."