Page 118 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1281

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Since I will be traveling most of the day tomorrow, I may not have a chance to post here. I thought I would repost the tribute collage that I made last year because it no long shows in the post I made. Very strange, but it may have not have reloaded properly when we had to rebuild the site last fall. Anyway, here it is again ...

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Its lovely Dreamer - safe travels - I had hoped at pone stage to join you girls but it just wasn't feasable. I'm thinking of you all today and all our Glenn friends everywhere
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

There are many people who admire the Eagles, and mourn Glenn's death as a tragic loss. But how much it still affects us perplexes them; they fail to understand the personal grief that many of us feel, especially people like me who never met him or even saw him in concert. Yet I don't think of it differently than losing anyone who impacted your life or whom you cared about deeply.

And when he died-- the anticipation of the joy, excitement, and inspiration of every new thing he would bring to our lives was now ended. All that we hoped to happen in the future was never to be, forever lost.

We mourn that loss especially on the day that he was taken from us. But today we also celebrate all the happiness he gave us, the beautiful person that the Lord brought into this world, and the love we wll always have for him.

See you on the other side, Our Glenn.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

I feel terrible, I've been so crazy busy at work this week that it didn't even dawn on me that it was the anniversary until just now. 3 years...so hard to believe, it feels like yesterday, doesn't it. There are times when I watch him in HOTE, or one of the concert DVDs, or on Wiseguy, and I still can't believe it, he was so full of life.

We still miss you and love you, Glenn...thank you for the music and joy you brought to our lives.

I was supposed to be traveling today but due to weather, my flight was cancelled. I was rebooked for tomorrow morning but I'm not even sure if I'm going to make it at all at this point, since a winter storm is predicted for Columbus tomorrow. And the only reason I was traveling to Columbus was because I was celebrating Glenn by going to see a Bob Seger concert where he was going to sing a song dedicated to him!

Well, it still might happen, so I won't give up hope yet. Until then, I've been spending today remembering the good times and thinking about what a special guy he was - listening to my mega-Glenn playlist on my iPod with no less than 288 songs on it! Raising a screwdriver to Glenn. It's nice to have other people to share today with.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

RIP Glenn Frey.

I personally feel a bit of regret and guilt every time this day comes. I regret not looking at the whole picture, and being against Glenn for so many years with regards to the whole DF deal. HOTE really made me mad when he did his telling of how the firing went down. I was fuming. I'll admit, I really didn't like Glenn. It wasn't sadly until after I heard the news that he passed, that I finally started to realize that he was in the right to do what he felt was best for his band. I always thought Glenn was the devil and Felder was an angel. Over time, I realized that Felder was not innocent, and Glenn wasn't the terrible person I thought.

I'm glad I finally woke up and realized how important Glenn was to the band and finally grasped what he meant with his football analogy of not everyone getting to touch the ball. When I first heard it, I was outraged. I was outraged at his coldness about how he handled Felder's call. I was outraged at how he treated this guy I looked up to and thought was completely without any fault. I was very, very wrong. I had blinders on, for lack of a better word. I only saw Felder's "I'm the victim here" and I only saw Glenn as being this belligerent intimidating figure. And I fought with some members here from time to time about it.

After Glenn died, I went back and rewatched HOTE, watched concert videos, listened to their songs (particularly the ones he sang on), and listened to his underrated guitar work. I realized how wrong I was for being so against the man that had SO much to do with the music I loved. I had seriously undervalued Glenn, and I overvalued some of the others in light of the big picture of what I called the Eagles. I thought he was just a guy who sang and played basic guitar that paled in comparison to Don Henley's vocal chops. I thought Don did all of the heavy lifting of lyrics/vox and Joe and Felder did all of the "music". I was wrong.

Of course Glenn would never have known how I felt and how angry and vitriolic I used to be towards him, but I still would have liked to apologize and thank him for the music and it being there for me when I was in a bad place. I think even if I told him how I had once felt about him, he'd still be friendly and kind, as he always was to his fans. He certainly would have handled it better than I would have if the situation was reversed. He really didn't deserve the anger I directed at him, some is still on this very board as posts, for so many years. He was always my least favorite, and over time to me, he has become my favorite in the band. I love Joe Walsh, but Glenn to me was the Eagles in a lot of ways. His contributions can't be overstated. I realize it probably looks bad that I realized this after the man had passed, and I do feel intense regret and guilt for that. How I only wish I could have realized all of this while he was still around and while I was going to see the band. I can only say I am 100% honest with how I feel and it isn't just to make it look better after he passed. I feel like I will spend a lot of time defending him and his legacy and his hard work in creating what was the Eagles in effort to try to keep others from spreading false information and vitriol towards the man like I did. There are two sides to every story and I spent too damn long only looking at one angle and basically brainwashing myself that Glenn was always the bad guy. I don't want any one else to make that same mistake. Glenn deserved better from me, a supposed fan of his band. This day will probably always continue to make me feel sad for his loss and a bit guilty that I once felt the way I did.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

@WF88 -- I so admire your honesty. I truly do. I've always been a Glenn Girl, so when I saw some of the hate toward him on some sites, I was really confused and kind of hurt. I've always thought DF was a great guitarist, and Glenn always said that, too. I hope DF realizes what an opportunity he lost in not burying the hatchet. Maybe not rejoined the band or anything, but just making sure the path between him and Glenn was clear, as the Native Americans say.

I've said before that loving Glenn is kind of the same as loving Paul McCartney. Not surprisingly, I'm a Paul woman. LOL. But I never did fall for all the hype about John Lennon (not taking away anything from him, you understand). But Paul's music always reached me in a way John's never did. Glenn is the same way. The first time I heard Lyin' Eyes when I was about seven, I was hooked. When I saw "The One You Love" video on MTV, I nearly fainted. Hehe.

Obviously, Glenn wasn't perfect, and he would be the first one to say it (another testament to his character), but the amount of drugs they were all taking the last couple of years the band was together in the 70s just brought out the very worst in everyone. Glenn says as much in HOTE. No one makes good decisions when they're on that kind of stuff.

I really appreciate your post. One of the hardest things to do, sometimes, is to admit you might have been mistaken about something you thought was pretty much settled and decided. It's a lesson for all of us: make sure you check out the facts and be willing to change your mind if the facts don't fit your narrative. So try to put that guilt to rest. You've been honest and open and admitted it, so it's time to let it go. I know you'd have Glenn's understanding and forgiveness, so keep loving the music and speaking the truth.

Austin, thanks for your post---and don't be so hard on yourself. We all have had a mistaken impression about someone due to things we have read or heard.(Although many won't admit it.). I don't think Glenn wasted a lot of time worrying about what outsiders thought about decisions he made to keep the band together. To be a leader you sometimes must make unpopular decisions. He did what had to be done and took the heat for it.

But I do hope that upon reading your posts, persons who feel the way you used to about Glenn will step back and look at the real reasons things were done the way they were. Perhaps then they will retract their negative attitudes and honor the man as you have done. I respect all your efforts, WF88!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Stuck on the Border

Before beating yourself up, it's worth remembering that a lot of the good stuff about Glenn wasn't said until after he'd died. Even as someone who was inclined to favour him, I didn't have a good idea of who he was. Not that I know that now, but all the stories and tributes that I've read over the last three years gives me a much richer picture. It's not just the obvious people and it's often not the big gestures, it's just the accumulation of inspiration and small acts of kindness.

Thanks everyone!

UTW - Thanks. Glenn was one of a kind and a great person. He certainly isn't anywhere near as bad as some (including myself in the past) make him out to be. He led his band with great leadership and decision-making.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."