Page 12 of 129 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

I agree it may be a bit confusing as to where to post when things are so murky at this point. Maybe it was too early to separate the threads, but, hey, we're all in uncharted territory with this and it's kinda hard to know sometimes what the right thing to do really is.

I think UTW's description between 'mourning the death' and 'celebrating the life' is a good place to try to differentiate and we should try to observe when possible. If there is overlap right now between the two threads, and the Glenn in the Press thread too, Soda and I can always try to clean them up later. For now, I'd say let's not sweat it too much and just everyone do the best that they can to use the appropriate thread.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

More about Glenn playing golf: http://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-rosaforte-report-golf-was-glenn-frey-passion
    The Eagles’ Don Henley made it a habit of asking manager Irving Azoff why the band always stayed at hotels and resorts near golf courses. Azoff knew Henley knew the answer, as did everyone in the roadshow: Glenn Frey’s infatuation with the game.“When the band got back together in ’94,” Azoff told me last week, “it kind of became booking our tours around where Glenn wanted to play golf.”

Frey’s death on Jan. 18 at age 67 meant more than just the passing of a legendary musician, singer and songwriter. From the 1990s into the 21st century, Frey was active in golf fundraisers nationwide and a regular in the two pro-ams that are mainstays of the PGA Tour’s West Coast swing. PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem noted Frey’s passing, and a flag hung at half-mast at Sunningdale Golf Club in England in Frey’s honor.
    On Twitter, testimonials were posted by Cristie Kerr, Jason Gore, Rocco Mediate, Dottie Pepper (hash-tagging hers #Takeiteasy), John Daly and Pat Perez. Arnold Palmer talked about Frey from his office at Bay Hill, where a photo of the two of them hangs in the grillroom. Tiger Woods has memories of Frey performing in his “Tiger Jam” and “Block Party” concerts .

The timing of last week’s CareerBuilder Challenge was another reminder of Frey’s roots in golf. Frey had a home at PGA West, a membership at The Madison Club and played the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic six out of seven years from 1998 to 2004. He was even more of a fixture at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, playing with Craig Stadler for 12 years starting in 1996. Twice the pair finished second in the pro-am competition.

Long-time friend Peter Jacobsen, who for years partnered with Jack Lemmon at Pebble Beach, talked to me about the importance of elite celebrities playing in tour events—and Frey’s role in that. “We’re in a time when we don’t see that as much as we used to,” Jacobsen said. “Glenn was always in the forefront. Like Huey Lewis, he was always a willing participant.”

Brad Faxon and Billy Andrade befriended Frey by playing in the singer’s pro-am in Aspen, Colo. As a return favor, Frey provided entertainment at their charity event every summer in Rhode Island. “Glenn would always say, ‘Ever see me at the piano, I’ve had too much to drink,’ ” Faxon said. “Inevitably he’d be at the piano singing with Joe Pesci.”
    Above the desk in Faxon’s office is a photograph of Frey as his caddie in overalls at the Masters Par-3 Contest. Faxon remembers asking Frey why he didn’t start playing golf until the 1990s. “I had to wait,” Frey joked, “until the clothes got better.”

Frey putted and played guitar right-handed, but was a lefty on the course. His handicap at Bel-Air Country Club in Los Angeles was 17, the byproduct of what Faxon described as “a slapper sort of slice” accentuated in later years by his chronic rheumatoid arthritis. Faxon called Frey’s short game “gritty.”

The best example was in 2002 at Pebble Beach, where Frey made enough net birdies to win the inaugural Jack Lemmon Award, given to the amateur that helped his pro the most, aiding Stadler 31 shots over 72 holes.

For Frey, all the Grammys and sold-out stadiums didn’t compare to the rush of standing on the 18th tee at Pebble tied for the lead. As he himself would say: “What could be better than that?”
    {The link has a couple of photos}

I love the comment about waiting for the clothes to get better.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 01-25-2016 at 07:01 PM.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Here's an article about, Glenn, the friend.
    http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...frey/79120548/

News broke on Jan. 18 that Glenn Frey, guitarist and singer of American rock band the Eagles, died due to complications from rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis and pneumonia.

Frey carved a name for himself as a co-founder of the Eagles, solo musician and actor. He sang lead vocals on numerous hits in the ‘70s, including “Take It Easy,” “Tequila Sunrise” and “Lyin’ Eyes.”

In between writing and recording music, Frey cultivated a friendship with a pair of Iowans: longtime Iowa Hawkeye football commentator and Kansas City Chiefs hall of famer Ed Podolak and tenured Iowa businessman Gary Kirke.

Podolak became friends with Frey in the early ‘80s while both were living in the Aspen, Colo., area. The two met through mutual friend and musician Jimmy Buffett. Podolak said he was at Buffett’s house when Frey, who at the time lived at the property next door, decided to stop by with his guitar.

“From that point on, Glenn and I became terrific friends,” Podolak said. “He was just so enjoyable to be around.”

During their friendship, Podolak said he and Frey traveled and played golf together.

“He was just a great family man and all-around great person,” Podolak said. “An entertainer on and off the stage.”

Kirke connected with Frey when his company, KVI, sponsored the High Country Shootout golf tournament in Colorado that Frey and Podolak held annually.

Frey traveled to Des Moines to play private parties for Kirke on two separate occasions. The first, in 1993, was at Val Air Ballroom for Kirke’s 50th birthday party. Kirke titled*the event “Hearts and Harleys.”

When asked to describe it, he said Val Air was "packed." Frey’s set that evening*included both Eagles and solo material.

“I (invited) all my high school buddies and everybody who was my age, turning 50 that year, ” Kirke said. “It was a blast."

The second show, which took place at Val Air Ballroom in 1999, came as a result of Kirke attending the first “Tiger Jam,” a fundraiser held by the Tiger Woods Foundation. Kirke said the Eagles played the event and after the performance he and his wife, Joan, went to an auction with Frey.

Being auctioned off was an opportunity to play golf with Tiger Woods at his home golf course.

“Glenn came up to us and talked to my wife, Joan, and said ‘They’re not biddin’ this thing up. You guys gotta bid this up,’” Kirke said. “Finally, he talked my wife into going (up) to $95,000. I about fell over. Glenn said, ‘I’ll do you guys a free concert if you bid this up.’”

Kirke won the bid and*Frey held up his end of the bargain, returning for another private show in Des Moines.

Frey played his last show in Des Moines with the Eagles at Wells Fargo Arena on Sept. 6, 2014. The show was part of the "History of the Eagles” tour that ran until summer 2015. Yhe band’s “Greatest Hits (1971-1975)” record remains*one of the best selling releases of all time, with around 42 million copies purchased.

Tributes from musicians such as Bob Seger and Bruce Springsteen poured in following the news of Frey’s death.

“The Eagles were one of the greatest rock bands — still to this day —*that ever existed,” Podolak said.
    There's a photo which I will post in Frey Fever shortly.
    Last edited by AlreadyGone95; 01-25-2016 at 07:23 PM.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

One thing about the links - we should probably quote the best bits in our posts. Articles on the internet have a habit of disappearing, and I'd like this thread to be something I can look back at for years to come... not look back only to find all the links now go to "Page Not Found" error messages.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Hi all. Rarely do I comment (as evident by my number of posts), yet I do enjoy reading the forum.

I can't say Glenn Frey was my favorite Eagle, but from how I've felt the last week, he might as well as been. From when I was 9 years old (1975) until now -- the music has been the soundtrack to my life (like many of us here). I was glad I got to see them one last time when they played the Forum here in L.A...which was a great bookmark to my Eagles concert experiences (The 1st time was HFO in 93ish, and late 80's at the Long Beach Arena with Henley, Felder, Schmidt and Walsh)

I was chatting with a family member last week about this tremendously tragic news -- not just Frey, but Bowie as well (This family member loved them both). He wrote "Two powerhouses -- one a weird genius and one who was the essence of cool" My reply was that I agree, then added:

"Here's someone who blazed a path in many forms of artistry, and someone else whose songs played in the background as you had that first relationship, broke up with a longtime love, pondered your future or just hung out with friends and created memories --- can you choose which had more impact!?!" Needless to say, we both agreed (although I like and appreciate Bowie, Eagles were always at the top of my list)

There's been great things posted here and elsewhere -- the Cameron Crowe and Bob Lefsetz's top the list (I've subscribed to Lefsetz for years -- he emailed comments that people sent in that are as humbling as I've ever read - including Walsh, Leadon and JD Souther). It's quite amazing the love Glenn is receiving. Rightfully so, I might add.

While it's too early for anyone in the know to think about this, I do hope the remaining guys continue on. Not as Eagles, per say, but maybe as a "Celebration of..." from time to time.

Finally (and really the point of my writing), Bruce Springsteen played an acoustic version of Take It Easy in Chicago last week. While the YouTube links have been posted here, Bruce just posted an mp3 of his entire concert, which includes Take it Easy.

Its free to download until tomorrow (I think). The tracks are separated, so after downloading, you can enjoy just Take It Easy (if you choose). Anywho, the link for the show can be found here:

http://live.brucespringsteen.net/liv...hicago-IL.html

Steve
    Last edited by steve_e_dee; 01-25-2016 at 10:00 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I've updated my posts with blocks of text as well as links. As someone who's spent a lot of time reading old threads, I know how frustrating those "404" messages can be.

I've read a few Facebook posts and comments that I don't feel comfortable posting. I'll just say that if you read the comments on Henry Diltz's, David Spero's and Jack Tempchin's facebook pages, you'll learn about Glenn rolling-skating down the street in Miami, going shopping for office furniture at Ikea and more. People write of him with a mix of affection and something approaching mild hysteria. As Cameron Crowe put it "Frey was a big character".

Talking of Cameron Crowe, I loved his quote from Glenn: "You can be in the gutter talking about all your missed opportunities or you can be successful, and pull the other guy out of the gutter."

Quote Originally Posted by steve_e_dee View Post
    Hi all. Rarely do I comment (as evident by my number of posts), yet I do enjoy reading the forum.

I can't say Glenn Frey was my favorite Eagle, but from how I've felt the last week, he might as well as been. From when I was 9 years old (1975) until now -- the music has been the soundtrack to my life (like many of us here). I was glad I got to see them one last time when they played the Forum here in L.A...which was a great bookmark to my Eagles concert experiences (The 1st time was HFO in 93ish, and late 80's at the Long Beach Arena with Henley, Felder, Schmidt and Walsh)

I was chatting with a family member last week about this tremendously tragic news -- not just Frey, but Bowie as well (This family member loved them both). He wrote "Two powerhouses -- one a weird genius and one who was the essence of cool" My reply was that I agree, then added:

"Here's someone who blazed a path in many forms of artistry, and someone else whose songs played in the background as you had that first girlfriend, broke up with a longtime love, pondered your future or just hung out with friends and created memories --- can you choose which had more impact!?!" Needless to say, we both agreed (although I like and appreciate Bowie, Eagles were always at the top of my list)

There's been great things posted here and elsewhere -- the Cameron Crowe and Bob Lefsetz's top the list (I've subscribed to Lefsetz for years -- he emailed comments that people sent in that are as humbling as I've ever read - including Walsh, Leadon and JD Souther). Its quite amazing the love Glenn is receiving.

While it's too early for anyone in the know to think about this, I do hope the remaining guys continue on. Not as Eagles, per say, but maybe as a "Celebration of..." from time to time.

Finally (and really the point of my writing), Bruce Springsteen played an acoustic version of Take It Easy in Chicago last week. While the YouTube links to both have been posted here, Bruce just posted an mp3 of his entire concert, which includes Take it Easy.

Its free to download until tomorrow (I think). The tracks are separated, so after downloading, you can enjoy just Take It Easy (if you choose). Anywho, the link for the show can be found here:

http://live.brucespringsteen.net/liv...hicago-IL.html

Steve
    Thank you for the Springsteen link!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I got an email from NYC Fan and she sent me some wonderful pictures that she asked me to post here. I'm going to paraphrase what she wrote to give you the context ...

My friends and I were in Times Square on Saturday, in the middle of the blizzard, trying to see if we could get into Hamilton (all Broadway shows were later canceled). When we were walking along past the Hard Rock Cafe, one of my friends stopped in her tracks and pointed at the Hard Rock sign. It usually rotates ads, but this was up there right when we walked by. Sadness all over again, but I thought it was quite touching and that the Border folks might like to see it.

And here's a picture from the Bruce Springsteen show in Chicago she attended where The Boss did his tribute to Glenn. This is very poignant ...

Thank you so much NYC Fan!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Dreamer-

Thanks for posting those! I'm photobucket challenged. I wasn't actually at the Chicago Springsteen show, but friends of mine were lucky enough to be there, and they said that moment was the highlight of the evening. A friend of mine pulled that picture off of Facebook, I believe. All I think of when I see it is "with a billion stars all around". It makes me happy and sad at the same time.

I was so glad to see the tribute to Glenn at the Hard Rock. I even was able to overlook the fact that it should be "There's a rainbow" rather than "there is". Well, maybe I didn't totally overlook it

Thanks again!

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Wow, that Hard Rock marquee is cool, even if it does make me teary-eyed. Not a big Springsteen fan, but he scored a few points with me with that tribute.

I've also updated all of my posts to have the articles in them.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time