Page 19 of 129 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

And there you have it:

"Souther (on the future of the Eagles): They're done. They're not going to go back out without Glenn, absolutely not. I think it would be sacrilegious. I can't think of a way to do that that would be all right."

Of course he's only speculating, but if anyone has an idea it would be JD.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Anyway! Back to Glenn: so he taught an actual semester-long class at NYU in the fall 2012 term? Amazing. I thought he just did that one seminar [which has its own thread here].
    I remember that. He had such a disciplined approach to writing and I was impressed that he blocked out time to write each day. He was very knowledgeable about the craft and most of his tips could apply to poetry and fiction writers too. He didn't to allow the muse (or chasing the muse) to overwhelm his life and family.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    [re: the RS article that AG linked above]
    Doug Weston (owner of the Troubadour) was Longbranch Pennywhistle's manager, according to JD! Very interesting. Never heard that nugget before.

Weston was supposedly a very eccentric character.

P.S. Curious photo of Glenn in that article - he's holding... are those cats? And it looks like he has a black eye.
    Yes, those are cats. Don't know about the black eye. I can't tell.

ETA: I really feel sorry for JD Souther not getting to talk to Glenn one last time.
    Last edited by AlreadyGone95; 01-28-2016 at 06:25 PM.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

The oral history is just wonderful.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Here's a couple of Billboard articles. The first one features stories from JD Souther and Bill Szymczyk. (as a side note, should I include the photos or only post the text?)

'Big Balls and a Heart Full of Love'

A lot has been and will be written about my first songwriting partner and best friend in Los Angeles. His charisma, musical genius, discipline and relentless hustle were absolutely genuine. Glenn Frey believed in himself, his partners and the power of good music. I've never known anyone like him. He made my life more fun, more trouble and harder work than it had ever been before. I love him. Here is a story you haven't heard.
    When Glenn and I were partners in a duo called Longbranch/Pennywhistle in 1969 and 1970, we played free gigs in the park, open-mic gigs at folk clubs, political rallies, an afternoon show at a Catholic girls high school (don't ask) and pass-the-hat gigs at even smaller folk clubs. In other words, we played everywhere for free. But we played our music. Our music.

Souther and Frey's 1969 album as Longbranch/Pennywhistle.Courtesy Photo

The very first taste of what we used to call the "million-dollar future" was an arena show at the University of California, San Diego, opening for Cheech & Chong and Buffy Sainte-Marie. I have no idea how we got on that peculiar bill, but such were the times. Strange things were happening. Legendary producer-manager Lou Adler, who managed Cheech & Chong, flew us all down to San Diego in his Lear jet. It took 25 minutes. This was a trip that took two-and-a-half hours in my ailing Sunbeam Alpine, a beaten red roadster with no heater, to play for free at The Candy Company, where our pal Jack Tempchin ran an open-mic night. Not tonight!
    On this auspicious occasion, we would be playing to thousands of people for the first time yet made the unusual decision to avail ourselves of a psychotropic substance about an hour prior to stage time (again … just don't ask). While the hallucinogen was beginning to round the edges in the locker room before the show, I started a new song with which to open our set. Glenn started strumming along, harmonizing the choruses, adding a great guitar figure, and just as we had the thing only slightly more under control than ourselves, Lou stuck his head in and said, "Guys, you're on." Really? We just stood there, guitars strapped on, each with a foot on a bench in our ragged Levi's and boots, staring numbly and wondering if we had gone too far. Then we both burst out laughing, and Glenn said. "OK, John David. Let's go for it!"

Frey and Henley during a phone interview in 1975.Barry Schultz /Sunshine via ZUMA Press

​So two best friends who lived in a run-down box in Echo Park stepped out into the big time for the first time. Before the largest audience either of us had seen, I stomped my right foot, Glenn flipped his hair, and we opened our set, high as the sky, with a song that hadn't existed an hour before. You need a real partner with big balls and a heart full of love to try that. We nailed it.
    That's Glenn Frey. -- JD Souther

Producer Szymczyk (far right) with (from left) the Eagles’ Bernie Leadon, Frey, Henley, Randy Meisner and Don Felder in 1974.Henry Diltz

'Glenn Had This All Laid Out'

Back in 1973, the Eagles were interviewing producers to do their On the Border album. I was somewhat hesitant when both Joe Walsh and Irving Azoff said to me, "You've got to talk to the Eagles." I didn't want to make country records; I wanted to make rock albums. They said, "Well, they want to rock!"

The Eagles onstage in 1974.Gijsbert Hanekroot/Redferns

Don Henley and Glenn Frey had a few specific questions for me when we met. Henley asked how many mics would I put on his drums. Their earlier producer, Glyn Johns, would only put like two or three, where I would put up to eight or nine -- so of course Henley was happy with that answer. Glenn wanted to know how long he could take on his guitar solos. I said, "As long as it takes." "Already Gone" was the very first track that I ever worked on with the band -- day one, track one. We ended up spending a good eight hours on all his lead parts. In the liner notes for The Very Best of the Eagles, Glenn paid me one of the greatest compliments I have ever received. He told Cameron Crowe that he "was much more comfortable in the studio with Bill, and he was more than willing to let everyone stretch a bit. 'Already Gone' -- that's me being happier; that's me being free."
    When I came in to do On the Border, the Eagles were just starting to scratch the surface of what they could be. At some point, people thought Henley was the R&B guy and Glenn was the country guy. They got that backward. Even though Henley really appreciated R&B, he wasn't anywhere near as immersed in it as Glenn and I were. When they later made solo records, Henley made Cass County, whereas Glenn would do R&B. He and I were both from Michigan originally, and we were both complete R&B junkies, into all those great soul singers, from Otis Redding and Sam & Dave to all the Willie Mitchell records, things like that. He came out of that soul thing, but at the same time, he was in a country-rock band. It was the combination of those two things that was so distinctive in Glenn's voice.

Frey in 2013.James Glader

One of Glenn's nicknames was Roach, and my nickname was Coach. I would take a bunch of great, obscure R&B singles and put them on a cassette, and I'd say, "You've got to listen to these" -- things that I knew that he hadn't heard. And he'd turn right around and send one to me. So we had these Coach-to-Roach and Roach-to-Coach cassettes going back and forth. That was our little club.
    Glenn was the MC of the Eagles' shows, that's for sure. He was The Guy. I think Henley said it best in his statement: "He was the spark plug, the man with the plan." And that was true. I mean, Glenn had this all basically laid out, and to some degree, all of us were like, 'OK, we're along for the ride -- let's go.' " -- Bill Szymczyk
    The 2nd is Jimmy Buffet remembering Glenn.

Following Eagles co-founder, guitarist and vocalist Glenn Frey's death on Monday, Jimmy Buffett has issued a statement remembering the his friend, contemporary and collaborator.
    In it, Buffett recalls first meeting Frey when his band had been invited to open for Eagles in 1975 -- a night he credits to launching his career.
    "In August of 1975, I was sitting in a dressing room in the Columbia Coliseum in South Carolina, about ready to go onstage," he writes. "It wasn't your ordinary gig by any stretch of the imagination, and still gives me 'chicken skin' as I write about this morning. We were opening for the Eagles, the best American band of my generation and many to follow. Any band worth their salt started out as an opener for somebody. Opening for the right band at the right time, could be your stairway to heaven.
    "Earlier in the afternoon Tommy Nixon, one of their road managers, had invited us to watch the Eagles sound check. I sat there with all the members of the Coral Reefer Band in awe, and when it was over, we strolled back through the empty arena towards our dressing room, and I said to my band, 'that is the kind of band we want to become.'
    "Waiting to go on that night seemed like an eternity. Mixed emotions were flowing, fear, excitement, and a lot of "what if's" were running through my head, when the door suddenly opened and in walked Glenn Frey. That was the first time we met. He greeted me and the band warmly, thanked us for being there (duh?) and said to me how much he loved "A Pirate Looks at 40". He wished us luck and then went back out the door. That was the beginning of a long and lovely friendship."
    "Only a few people really know how significant Glenn, Don, Irving and the Eagles were to my rise through the ranks of bands trying to achieve just of sliver of the success that they had achieved. After that first night, Glenn and I went on to become close friends, songwriting collaborators, and neighbors in Aspen, He and Don were instrumental in getting Irving Azoff to become my manager, and eventually open for the Eagles on the Hotel California tour of America, which was the rocket ship we rode to eventually becoming a headliner. When the Eagles were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, they asked me to give their induction speech. I was humbled. Glenn was a true friend, a true professional, an inspiration and sometimes could be a handful. I cherish great memories of our time spent together and will never forget his kindness that first night and our friendship for all these years. My heart goes out to Cindy, Deacon, Taylor and Otis. He rocked all our worlds."
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

These are truly amazing!!! Love both articles!!!! Thank you for sharing!!! And with tears in my eyes!!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Just asking has anyone signed the legacy guest book

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanny Twisted View Post
    What is that?

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

That is my question as well! What site is it on?

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Out on the Border WitchyWoman92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanny Twisted View Post
    I have.

Freypower and Outlawman13, here is the link:

http://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/gle...nces/177348548