Page 20 of 129 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Thank you so much for posting this!!! His legacy will live on forever and always have him in my heart!! I love Glenn!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

I only saw the Eagles once in 2014 on what is there last tour in Manchester while I was in University. I now feel so lucky grateful to have a got a ticket and seen Glenn in the flesh though I was right up in the cheap seats and didnt bring my glasses so he was a blur in white shirt in the far corner of the stage.

But one song I always loved was Doolin Dalton which they did on this tour, a song in which I loved Glenn's parts and feel really special I was there to hear him sing it in person, it is great when the organ comes in on the live version and Glenn sings "Well the towns lay out across the dusty plains.."

Its a shame I always had this dream/ hope I would see them again but I guess thats over now, I just feel so relieved and grateful I saw him just before we lost him.
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Remembering Glenn Frey

In an earlier post, I alluded to how I was seeing a consistent string of words pop up that people who really knew Glenn well were using to describe him. The common thread is the use of terms (or variations thereof) such as: generous, kind, humorous, fun, work ethic, intelligent, visionary, honest, blunt, ambitious, leader, talented, mercurial, and family man. As many of you may be aware, I was very privileged to have met Glenn on several occasions and I was able to make a few observations about him that I want to share. I want to be clear, just because I was acquainted with him, in no way suggests that I knew him well as a person.

I first had the opportunity to interact with Glenn at AT&T Pro-Am Golf Tournament in 2007. When I first decided to go to Pebble Beach to see Glenn, my expectations were very low. Honestly, I was hoping that I may be able to briefly chat with him and exchange a few pleasantries, maybe get an autograph, and, if really lucky, get a picture with him. If any one of these things had happened, I would have been an extremely happy fan. At Pebble Beach, Soda, PLS, and I tried to always respect that Glenn was there to play golf and not to entertain us fan girls. With only a few exceptions, we never approached Glenn. We always left it up to him to choose when and if he wanted to interact with us. I know he appreciated that and even told us once that he never got any “fatal attraction stalker vibe” from us. It totally blew our minds that Glenn initiated a sort of ‘friendship’ with us. To this day, I’ll never fully understand why he went out of his way to be so kind to us, but I will be forever grateful and cherish the few times we spent with him forever.

So, it warms my heart to hear all of the terms I listed used to describe what kind of person Glenn was by the people who knew him best. It just validates that the man I became mildly acquainted with was pretty much exactly the person I thought he was – right down to his affection for nicknames (he once dubbed us as “Glennie’s Angels”). It is so special to know when an artist whose talent you respect and admire so much turns out to be a wonderful human being as well.

Of course, as charming, charismatic, and generous as he was, he wasn’t without faults and flaws. I always said I wouldn’t want to have gotten on his bad side or as he described to us once about someone who was in his “penalty box for life”. As others described him, I have no doubt that he was bullheaded, a perfectionist with low tolerance for error, and used to getting his way. I also got the feeling that he didn’t suffer fools gladly.

I don’t know this for sure, but based on various things Glenn said, I got the impression that this was a man very comfortable in his own skin as he matured, raised a family, and crafted the Eagles’ legacy. He had afforded himself the opportunity to live life on his own terms and I believe that is exactly what he did up until his final few months. He once told us that he wasn’t overly concerned about what people who didn’t know him said or believed about him. What was important was that he and the people he cared about knew the truth. He loved his life and was very proud and grateful for what he had achieved. He could have promoted himself more or made himself more visible to the public, or attempted to set the record straight about public misconceptions, but that wasn’t terribly important to him. While I believe he loved the limelight and the public adulation of being a rock star, when he walked off that stage, he preferred being in the shadows. He managed to be one of the most powerful and influential rock stars of his time, and, at the same time, enjoy the privacy of being able to ride the NYC subway with his son going virtually unrecognized – a man with a ‘big life’ indeed.

Glenn - may you rest in eternal peace as the legacy of your extraordinary talents and gifts to this world continues to soar like an Eagle.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I love what you said about Glenn, Dreamer! What an amazing tribute! In my eyes (and in my heart) to me, he was all of those things as well! I do wish I had a chance to meet him!!!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

That is a lovely tribute Dreamer. I didn't ever meet Glenn but I know from what you and others have said, and from reading biographies and (sadly) obituaries that he was a lovely man. I think you have summed him up very well. At least I had the chance to speak to him from the floor on 2 occasions - moments I treasured and I got quite a bit of Glenntact in London as well. These will be my everlasting memories of a man who touched so many facets of my life. I have stories from Niagara Falls and Liverpool that I could go into but most of the Borderers have probably already heard them before so theres no need. But I do say 'Thank you Glenn for everything from the bottom of my heart'
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    What is that?
    Sorry fp
    I'm a little late in answering .
    Just another hired hand found it .
    But in Our area when someone passes its a place to post your condolencez.

Usually theyvstay up for a year but his is up forever

Very nice tribute, Dreamer. It says a lot about the man when his fans can describe him in such an honest, yet warm way.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Well said, Dreamer. I loved the "Glennie's Angel" moniker. He was also one of the very few people to call me "Nance."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Thanks kAy.
    Beautiful post beautiful memorie

Lovely write-up, Dreamer. He truly was a kind soul and your post made it evident.

Little anecdote for you guys. My roommate is on the phone with one of our friends from high school, who goes to a different university than we do. She's in the basement of an academic building alone working on a ceramics project, and apparently there's weird noises and a general creepy vibe about it all, so she called my roommate to have something to distract her from it. She also had the radio playing, and Heartache Tonight came on. My roommate put the phone on speaker and I told her, "Don't worry! Glenn is watching over, he won't let anything bad happen to you!"
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg