Page 21 of 129 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Yesterday my sister and I decided to pay tribute to Glenn. We went to the studio that Desperado was recorded in and put some flowers down with a photo and a card with messages.

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Aww I love that Toonlass!! It is so lovely!! Especially the picture you used!!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

That's lovely Toonlass.

Though not a direct tribute, the song "I Will Take Care of You" by Canadian singer Amy Sky has been especially poignant for me since Glenn's passing and the reason became clearer yesterday; as a friend told me she's expecting a baby.

As one life ends another is created.

That's the beauty of life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu4h_LFHR2g

Stuck on the Border

This is a letter in the Aspen Times.
    Glenn Frey was a genuine friend and generous member of our Aspen community.
    Glenn was an extraordinary songwriter and musician, but he was equally a genuine friend to so many. He was righteous and very candid, and damn, he was usually so “right on” about so much.

We had crossed paths over the years, but it wasn’t until I spent time with him in the late ’80s that we forged a friendship. He was a fiercely loyal friend. If you met someone close to Glenn, you knew they were in his life forever, not just a casual acquaintance. He chose his friends carefully. He would say his best choice was marrying Cindy. She was the love of his life along with his children.

In 1991, John Reid organized a meeting at Aspen City Hall for interested people to host inner-city kids from Denver for a ski experience. I became involved and soon saw this was a very fledgling nonprofit with a special leader. John had a big heart and a big idea but lacked resources. Soon after that meeting, I ran into Frankie Sosa, Glenn’s right-hand person. I remember Glenn mentioning to me he might make a boys camp at his place in Old Snowmass, so I gave Frankie some information about John and his ski program for inner-city youth. Well, the rest of the story is pure Glenn.

Glenn and Cindy called John and jumped in head first. They had boys stay at their home, counseled kids, camped with kids and, in the end, generously supported the organization for years. I can’t express the extent they gave of themselves unconditionally to the organization and the kids. There were many very special people who gave to Grassroots, but we could not have sustained the organization and supported so many youth without Glenn and Cindy.

Glenn and Cindy’s friends were also so incredibly generous. The Eagles got together for a benefit at the Double Diamond and reunited before the official Hell Freezes Over tour. All the proceeds went to Grassroots. Talk about friendships — the Eagles all supported one another’s causes. Irving Azoff, their manager, set up ways that concert money also could support Grassroots. The generosity of these resources and spirit in which they were given was unparalleled to anything I have experienced.

The Grassroots Aspen Experience was a wonderful program. I am still in contact with so many of the Grassroots kids. Many are married and have kids, many have businesses, some are teachers and professors, some are poets, and some are artists.

The number of lives that Glenn touched and enriched is hard to fathom.
    Please send your memories of Glenn and of your Grassroots experiences to John or me, and we will create a special book for the Frey family to share our appreciation to them. Email johnreid305@comcast.net or beth@aspenbranch.com.
    Beth Gill
    http://www.aspentimes.com/opinion/20...and-grassroots

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Remembering Glenn Frey

In an earlier post, I alluded to how I was seeing a consistent string of words pop up that people who really knew Glenn well were using to describe him. The common thread is the use of terms (or variations thereof) such as: generous, kind, humorous, fun, work ethic, intelligent, visionary, honest, blunt, ambitious, leader, talented, mercurial, and family man. As many of you may be aware, I was very privileged to have met Glenn on several occasions and I was able to make a few observations about him that I want to share. I want to be clear, just because I was acquainted with him, in no way suggests that I knew him well as a person.

I first had the opportunity to interact with Glenn at AT&T Pro-Am Golf Tournament in 2007. When I first decided to go to Pebble Beach to see Glenn, my expectations were very low. Honestly, I was hoping that I may be able to briefly chat with him and exchange a few pleasantries, maybe get an autograph, and, if really lucky, get a picture with him. If any one of these things had happened, I would have been an extremely happy fan. At Pebble Beach, Soda, PLS, and I tried to always respect that Glenn was there to play golf and not to entertain us fan girls. With only a few exceptions, we never approached Glenn. We always left it up to him to choose when and if he wanted to interact with us. I know he appreciated that and even told us once that he never got any “fatal attraction stalker vibe” from us. It totally blew our minds that Glenn initiated a sort of ‘friendship’ with us. To this day, I’ll never fully understand why he went out of his way to be so kind to us, but I will be forever grateful and cherish the few times we spent with him forever.

So, it warms my heart to hear all of the terms I listed used to describe what kind of person Glenn was by the people who knew him best. It just validates that the man I became mildly acquainted with was pretty much exactly the person I thought he was – right down to his affection for nicknames (he once dubbed us as “Glennie’s Angels”). It is so special to know when an artist whose talent you respect and admire so much turns out to be a wonderful human being as well.

Of course, as charming, charismatic, and generous as he was, he wasn’t without faults and flaws. I always said I wouldn’t want to have gotten on his bad side or as he described to us once about someone who was in his “penalty box for life”. As others described him, I have no doubt that he was bullheaded, a perfectionist with low tolerance for error, and used to getting his way. I also got the feeling that he didn’t suffer fools gladly.

I don’t know this for sure, but based on various things Glenn said, I got the impression that this was a man very comfortable in his own skin as he matured, raised a family, and crafted the Eagles’ legacy. He had afforded himself the opportunity to live life on his own terms and I believe that is exactly what he did up until his final few months. He once told us that he wasn’t overly concerned about what people who didn’t know him said or believed about him. What was important was that he and the people he cared about knew the truth. He loved his life and was very proud and grateful for what he had achieved. He could have promoted himself more or made himself more visible to the public, or attempted to set the record straight about public misconceptions, but that wasn’t terribly important to him. While I believe he loved the limelight and the public adulation of being a rock star, when he walked off that stage, he preferred being in the shadows. He managed to be one of the most powerful and influential rock stars of his time, and, at the same time, enjoy the privacy of being able to ride the NYC subway with his son going virtually unrecognized – a man with a ‘big life’ indeed.

Glenn - may you rest in eternal peace as the legacy of your extraordinary talents and gifts to this world continues to soar like an Eagle.
    I absolutely adore this. this is what being a fan is all about. thank you for sharing

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Dreamer, your post is beautiful and spot on.

Toonlass, what a cool thing to do. Love the photo that you included.

After reading that letter, all I can say is that Glenn really loved kids, didn't he?

--------

I posted this in the press/blogs thread, but also belongs here, I think. This is an article about trying to have a street named after Glenn in Royal Oak.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/entert...y-in-royal-oak

ROYAL OAK, Mich.*- Fans may pay tribute to late Eagles guitarist, Glenn Frey, through his music, but you could soon find yourself taking a turn onto Glenn Frey Drive.

“The idea came from the song ‘Take It Easy’, you know the lyrics, ‘standing on the corner of Winslow, Arizona’, said Jim O’Brien, 94.7 WCSX personality.

With Frey being a homegrown musician, O’Brien thought naming a street after him was the perfect way to honor the rock star after he died earlier this year.

“I just assumed that we had a street corner for Glenn Frey in Royal Oak, his hometown,” said O’Brien. “So, I asked my friend Mayor Jim Ellison of Royal Oak, 'Is there a street?' He said no and sure enough, after we started talking, we found that a street that is available to name of off Willis Avenue,” said O’Brien.

“When Jim O'Brien called me with the idea, I immediately embraced it. Told him, 'We will make it happen,'” said Royal Oak Mayor Jim Ellison.

One of the reasons Willis Avenue works so well, there are no homes along it, which means no address changes for residents.

“When I found out that the part of Willis Ave., next to the middle school and former Dondero High, was turned over to school district a number of years ago, I contacted School Board President Gary Briggs and set up a meeting,” said Mayor Ellison.

The Royal Oak School Board will vote on the proposal Feb. 11. Ellison tells Local 4 he is confident the idea will pass.

“Gary was as enthused as I was and I think the residents will be as well. Having the street next to his old school named after him, is a perfect tribute to Glenn,” said Mayor Ellison.

“It just all started coming together, the response on social media has been huge even Joe Walsh responded,” O’Brien said.

Join the social media campaign by using the hashtag #GlennFreyDrive on Twitter and Facebook. Click here for more:http://wcsx.com/glenn-frey-drive/
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Default A Fans Tribute to Glenn Frey.

First time on the site, I hope it's OK to post a tribute to Glenn Frey here? If not I'm sure I'll hear about it! Is this the right place to post so all members can see it? That's my intent! The rules of engagement here are a little hard to get through just to post a message and interact with other fans, no offense meant! Any help appreciated! Thanks, Tim Collins, a Glenn Frey fan!

The Day that Glenn Frey Died!

I was standing on the corner, the day I heard he died!
    I just got in, I was the new kid in town!
    If I didn't know better, I would a said it was a lie,
    That was the day I heard..., Glenn Frey died!
    The Eagles lost a brother and we all lost a friend!
    Eagles soar to heaven, but this one left too soon!
    I'll never forget the songs he sang, the man could play a tune!
    He played and sang with passion, like he just lost his best friend,
    His music was timeless and bold, it just never did get old!
    He made us think about ourselves, but I think that was his goal!
    He said to take it easy, don't let life take it's toll,
    We'll all get there in time, some day, that Hotel where Desperado's stay,
    It's just up the coast a piece, not that far way!

One of these nights I'm gonna stay all day, don't think I could ever leave,
    It just might be the last resort, for the King of Hollywood!
    Just listen to his lyrics, they came right from his soul!
    He said to take it easy, don't let life take it's toll,
    But when Glenn started playing, it was time to Rock-n-Roll!
    Eagles were meant to fly, way up in the sky,
    So every time you see one soaring I hope it brings a smile,
    Remember this Eagle, the artist, his name was Glenn Frey!
    He was standing on the corner, such a fine sight to see!
    He sang songs about you and me!
    Take it easy, my friends, we'll all get there in time some day, he said!
    I never got to meet him, he left the stage too soon!
    But I get a peaceful easy feeling, whenever I hear him croon!
    I hope next time I see him, he'll play my favorite tune one time!
    Til then my friend, let this be Auld Lang Syne,
    I hope it's OK, if I say, you were a friend of mine!
    Take it easy Glenn, your songs live on in time!
    It'll be a long run home till you see another Tequila sunrise again!
    There may be some heartbreak tonight and very little room,
    In a place they call the Sad Cafe, but James Dean and Bowie,
    will be waiting there to join you in a chorus, of Smuggler's Blues!
    You took it to the limit and now it's a long run home!
    Take it easy Glenn, you'll always be a friend of mine!
    Take it easy Glenn, you're almost home,
    Take it easy Glenn, and then you were already gone!

By: T.R. Collins (C) Copyright 2016

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I hope they do that in remembrance of Glenn!!! I would drive out there just to see the road sign! Glenn Frey Avenue! Couldn't help myself

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Toonie - The flowers were a wonderful tribute - what a lovely gesture. I wish I had an Eagles landmark nearby that I could do something similar. I thought about trying to figure out a way to send flowers to 'the corner' in Winslow, but I figured they'd never make it and, of course, I'd have no way of verifying if they did or not.

And I'm glad some of you liked my tribute. Honestly, it took me about 5 days to write it (on and off, of course). When I'm going through a very emotional time, I often have a hard time articulating what I want to say. I tend to withdraw and suppress my feelings. But, I've also learned it's not healthy for me to do that, so I have to force myself to get it out. I started this just by jotting my thoughts down every time something popped in my mind that I wanted to say. Sometimes I would sit down and try organize it into something coherent, but my heart just wasn't in it, so I'd leave it alone. Finally, yesterday when I looked at my notes, I was able to write it. Fortunately or unfortunately for you all, I've still got more I want to say, but I'll save it for another time.

I also posted in Glenn's Legacy guestbook, but it was just a small excerpt of what I wrote here.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Toonie - The flowers were a wonderful tribute - what a lovely gesture. I wish I had an Eagles landmark nearby that I could do something similar. I thought about trying to figure out a way to send flowers to 'the corner' in Winslow, but I figured they'd never make it and, of course, I'd have no way of verifying if they did or not.

And I'm glad some of you liked my tribute. Honestly, it took me about 5 days to write it (on and off, of course). When I'm going through a very emotional time, I often have a hard time articulating what I want to say. I tend to withdraw and suppress my feelings. But, I've also learned it's not healthy for me to do that, so I have to force myself to get it out. I started this just by jotting my thoughts down every time something popped in my mind that I wanted to say. Sometimes I would sit down and try organize it into something coherent, but my heart just wasn't in it, so I'd leave it alone. Finally, yesterday when I looked at my notes, I was able to write it. Fortunately or unfortunately for you all, I've still got more I want to say, but I'll save it for another time.

I also posted in Glenn's Legacy guestbook, but it was just a small excerpt of what I wrote here.
    I know how you feel & you did a wonderful job. I have no idea what to say. I again thank everyone who has contributed.